You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Comments

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,359
    Well, that was stressful to watch.
  • Options
    PaintedOnePaintedOne Member Posts: 236
    madness
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    The moral , don't win big
    Seriously , would i be able at this present time put 3 £1000 bets on sky bet ?
    or would they refuse knowing the most i normally bet is a tenner a week
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    That took the bets without question and that should be the way that they pay the winnings IMO.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,012
    edited October 2023
    That reminds me of an experience of mine (on a much smaller scale) when I was a student.

Think it was about 1982. Ladbrokes in Dundee. I had put a small "place only" bet on a horse-think it was priced about 10/1.

It actually won-not that that mattered, because I had made a "place only" bet.

Ladbrokes refused to pay out, and pointed to a small sign in their shop saying that the day before they had decided to no longer accept "place only" bets. Whereupon I said they had taken one-mine. They gave me my money back. I said they were refusing to honour a bet, and that had the horse lost, they would have kept the money.

They threatened to call the police. Whereupon I said that I was leaving, and I would never ever place a bet with Ladbrokes ever again. And I haven't.

The terrible thing about leaving compliance to the "pay out" stage is that a bookmaker is awarding itself a "no lose" gamble. At the customer's expense.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,359
    edited October 2023
    I knew someone who managed a Ladbrokes, whenever they lost a substantial sum of money to a punter. They would get a call from the area manager concerned that the months targets were now under threat. Their job became less secure when they suffered losses.

My though process leads me to wonder if it's a tactic to send you to another bookies so it doesn't affect their targets or they stall paying out to spread the poor figures into the next month.

Perhaps the area manager is on bonuses that are target related.

It always perplexed me how the shop staff can be blamed for payouts out of their control.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,171
    It's always been the same and until there is a completely independent regulator, it will stay that way.

I had a similar experience when the now Bet365 was called Provincial Racing. I had previously worked as a cashier for them in the Bentilee and Bucknall shops so knew the ins and outs of the system.

The horse was one I'd backed for years called Go Ballistic and it didn't owe me anything. However it was it's last race and so I had to lump on.

£50 e/w and the shop took the bet no problem. It hacked up to win at a S.P of 25/1 and I was watching the faces of the staff as it blew everything else away in the last furlong.

Ok, now we have a problem. I know they aren't going to want to pay out, they know that I know the score.

There was no affordability nonsense back then but they tried the old taken in error trick saying that they though it was £5 e/w . I asked that if that was the case why did the cashier go to the back and ask for approval before accepting it and also why did they happily ring it through at £50 e/w if they thought it was only £5 e/w.

In the end I was paid out reluctantly, told I was banned from every Provincial shop in the City, about 10 of them and if I ever got a bet on with them and they found out the bet would be forfeit and all monies lost.

Incredibly about 9 months later I was back working at both Bentilee and Twigg St shops due to an acute staff shortage after about 30 staff were found to be stealing and were all insta fired.

I wonder what odds I'd have gotten on that.

• Options
    PaintedOnePaintedOne Member Posts: 236
    its quite bizarre how blatant they are at not wanting to pay out , weird considering they must make thousands an hour
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Years ago ah was in Blackpool and me and my mate put on a 4 team draw acca for £20, it stoated and payed just under 4 grand.
    Ah went to collect it on the Sunday at the Betfred shop, was told we don't have that amount of cash, as ah was leaving that day they said ah could collect it at ma local branch.
    Went to ma local branch on the Monday, didn't have enough cash.
    Went to one in Glasgow later that day, didn't have enough cash.
    Ma mates beginning to think am pocketing the dosh, so the next day ah drags him to the bookies with me, the cashier says " ah don't have that kind of money " at this point am gettin a bit angry, she says to me nobody likes to pay oot that amount if it wasn't placed in their shop.
    At this point they steams startin to come oot ma lugs she could see ah was gettin a wee bit upset shall we say, " come back tonight just before shuttin time and I will make sure you get yer cash " she says.
    So ah arrive back at this scheme bookies at the death, she gets the cash oot the safe, proceeds to count every note in a loud voice which you could have heard two streets away, ah look around and the shop and theres a couple of ne'er-do-wells pickin up bettin slips to see if any winners had been chucked away, ah picks up the cash, am oot the door like a flash, runnin doon the road faster than Alan Wells.
  • Options
    legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 124
    aye they take your bets quick enough had something similar in 1988 wi a bookie a grand on dessie to win whitbread at 6/1 then the carry on begins a did not have your problem to get paid a got it that day but only after a pulled **** over counter .. police came that day as well and advised him to pay up and not to waste there time again plenty folk in shop but nobody saw me ..... do anything ....moral off story no cameras then .. he sold shop to corals after that .. if they take bet pay it without the **** .. cause if you do it to one punter you can do it again.. but they can wait outside and when its money things get nasty ...but the way he was treated was wrong a hope he sues them for compensation for the carry on as its on camera they should be fined and comp paid self regulation JOKE