You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What will be the likely extinction of mankind?

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,635
So this one is just something I thought would be an interesting question. There are a number of ways I see human kind going extinct.
1. Full on Nuclear war, I actually think this one may be unlikely I expect Nuclear war but I dont expect it to be an extinction level event I expect a small proportion of Humans will survive and continue just most will be wiped out should this happen.
2. AI terminator my brother seems convinced this will happen AI will apparently become more intelligent then us and wipe us out as it takes over the planet. I think this one is very unpredictable because we cant know by definition how an intelligence which far exceeds our own will behave.
3. Alien Invasion, a few speculate on this but it seems very far fetched our planet has existed for billions of years and in that time there has not been an alien invasion so it is probably unlikely we will see one in the next several hundred million years. Though there are often odd things we hear in the media which may or may not be extra terrestrial I suspect it unlikely that we will see a full scale alien invasion.
4. we simply evolve into something else, if human beings are not wiped out with enough time it is likely we will evolve into an entirely new species or multiple species.
5. global warming creating a runaway green house effect that makes the planet uninhabitable. this one is possible but I would suspect there would still be some people surviving in the colder remote places.
6. Meteorite or other natural events. Sadly I think this is the most likely option myself, aside from a greater intelligence be that AI or Alien I think there will always be a few humans who hold on however I think war and nuclear war could set us back several times and stop us advancing enough to save ourselves from eventually been wiped out by natural disasters.

What will be the likely extinction of mankind? 7 votes

Nuclear war
0%
AI Terminator
14%
PaintedOne 1 vote
Alien invasion
0%
Evolve into something else
14%
mumsie 1 vote
global warming
0%
natural disaster.
71%
TheEdge949green_beerDoublemeToffeeandykapowblamz 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,667

I'll go for a Pandemic, which is not in your list.

The most fatal pandemic in recorded history was the Black Death—also known as The Plague—which killed an estimated 75–200 million people in the 14th century

The world population was only around 350 million at the time, so that's a death rate in excess of 50%. And of course in modern times we are all far more transient, & intercontinental travel, almost zero back then, is now prolific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic#:~:text=A pandemic (/pæn,a substantial number of individuals.
  • Options
    natural disaster.
    Tikay10 said:

I'll go for a Pandemic, which is not in your list.

The most fatal pandemic in recorded history was the Black Death—also known as The Plague—which killed an estimated 75–200 million people in the 14th century

The world population was only around 350 million at the time, so that's a death rate in excess of 50%. And of course in modern times we are all far more transient, & intercontinental travel, almost zero back then, is now prolific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic#:~:text=A pandemic (/pæn,a substantial number of individuals.

that is a fair point but I would probably include that in natural disaster.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,373
    edited November 2023
    Evolve into something else
    I say nothing will, so evolve into something else is the nearest.
    We are evolving as it stands now anyway.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,554
    edited November 2023
    Im going with AI
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,763
    natural disaster.
    Just wait till the kid who made the simulation gets bored and pulls the plug out :)
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,515
    edited November 2023
    Will Womenkind survive while Mankind goes extinct ...

I vote that Human race survives any of your six options .... hic!
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,194
    natural disaster.
    The world as we know it now will cease to exist as will human and animal life.

That's a certainty. How it comes about is, for many debatable, for others a matter of belief and yet for others like yourself a cause for anxiety and concern.

I'd quite like to go for the option that Revelations provides.

Ultimately when our sun collapses in on itself then the whole solar system will be decimated and the Earth and everything on it vapourised.

Wont affect me I'll be long dead, rotted, resurrected and moved on.
  • Options
    Your scaring the children stop it.!
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,044
    The Conservatives winning the next General Election... :D
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    Eating bacon
  • Options
    natural disaster.
    somniatis said:

I mean I have looked at the statistics for climate change it was part of a study on my degree that may be propaganda methods etc but it was pretty overwhelming.

I thinking making exact predictions is basically impossible and people making alarmist statements can hurt people taking it seriously. However it is very alarming and should be something taken very seriously by us all. It should be a major influence on how we vote and it certainly is for me.

there is corruption though planned obsolesce and government corruption does a lot more harm then someone leaving their heating on or people eating protein.

We need large investment in green energy and to move away from oil and fossil fuels. Condemning people for using cars eating meat and etc isnt the answer. that is just a way to tax us more and give it to their rich friends.

Climate change is a massive threat to our species.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    natural disaster.
    Natural disaster is the only option available there that could possibly lead to an actual extinction.

Pandemics would never kill everyone for several reasons, like Tristan de Cunha and immunity etc etc and nuclear war for most of the same reasons.

Global warming would reach equilibrium at worst long before extinction.

AI is not even a factor. AI is not AI or even close to being AI yet. AI is just a database analysis system. For some reason the romantics like the idea but even they don't truly believe it, when push comes to shove.

Aliens are not even worth discussing. So far the dataset on how much life is out there in the universe equates to 1. That's us. We have no other, even remotely, relevant data so far, apart from what Hollywood came up with.

I don't know what you mean by evolve. Every new child has evolved because that's evolution.

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,153

Natural disaster is the only option available there that could possibly lead to an actual extinction.

Pandemics would never kill everyone for several reasons, like Tristan de Cunha and immunity etc etc and nuclear war for most of the same reasons.

Global warming would reach equilibrium at worst long before extinction.

AI is not even a factor. AI is not AI or even close to being AI yet. AI is just a database analysis system. For some reason the romantics like the idea but even they don't truly believe it, when push comes to shove.

Aliens are not even worth discussing. So far the dataset on how much life is out there in the universe equates to 1. That's us. We have no other, even remotely, relevant data so far, apart from what Hollywood came up with.

I don't know what you mean by evolve. Every new child has evolved because that's evolution.

I think this is really unfair on Giorgios........

• Options
    edited November 2023
    This bloke makes a fortune discovering ancient Aliens once visited the Planet.