You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

"Shoppers hit by escalating prices of branded goods"

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,524

Makers of some popular food brands have raised prices by more than their costs over the past two years, according to the UK's competition watchdog.

This has helped push up the price of things like baby formula, baked beans, pet food and milk, the Competition & Markets Authority (CMA) said.

About three quarters of branded suppliers have been making more profit on individual products.

I'm a bit confused by this. Isn't this how the free market is supposed to work? If Heinz gear is too pricey, we buy alternatives.

Confirmed by by this line...

As a result shoppers have increasingly turned to own-label products, meaning branded products have lost market share, and so have actually been making less money overall.

The full news item is here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67563844

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,524

I'm not at all sure I understand the problem.

If stuff is too dear at Tesco, we go elsewhere.

If there's a monopoly in the supply of, say baby food & the manufacturers are lifting our leg, another supplier will seize the opportunity to muscle in on the market.

Apart from Communist countries, surely that's how it works right across the world?

I am aware that, say, the likes of Microsoft & others have been accused of similar things, but if you have a superior product, that's bound to happen until someone says "well I'll supply something better".

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,507
    Shopping around is nothing new but beware the cheap products my Son's wife wouldn't be seen dead in " PoundLand " we call her Posh Spice.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,744
    I notice the price rises most when buying work stuff, one item we used buy a lotta was screws, a box used to cost 17.99 before covid, now that box is 37.99……also noticed a glue increasing from 2£ to 12£……obviously we switched brands…..it’s funny cause some stuff has never really moved in price much, that’s why I feel like it’s the shops just jumping on the bandwagon and raising everything, just look how expensive macdonalds is now, u are almost as cheap going for a Burger King ha.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Pop into " Wicks " and buy some Timber---- This man at the till

Tool Station if you want A SCREW
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November 2023
    Both supermarkets, and various products within them, operate as oligopolies. Which, usually, are far worse not only than free markets, but also monopolies.

An oligopoly is where the market is dominated by a select few players.

A typical example is washing powder and allied products. There are only 2 real players-Proctor & Gamble, and Unilever.

Both have loads of brands, with marketing budgets for each. P&G includes the likes of Ariel, Bold, Daz, Fairy & Lenor. Unilever has Comfort, Persil and Surf. Main reason for the multitude if brands is to discourage competition. Because they (in my example) provide 8 rivals, rather than 2.

When a Supermarket says it is "price matching" with a rival, what it is really saying is it is price fixing.

Oligopolies do not have the economies of scale of a monopoly. They also spend vast amounts of money doing the same work several times-prices do not tend to vary for people supplying supermarkets. Just 6 sets of paperwork. The "yes" or "no" is more likely to vary than the price

Tend to get the worst of both worlds-price fixing at a higher price than either a free market or a monopoly would provide.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Shop in Aldi, you've half a chance of savin some cash.
  • Options
    Is Aldi cheaper than going full Lidl?
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,615
    So I have worked in warehouses before and it is often the case that branded products are literally the same as the non branded products.

When I say literally I mean exactly that the very same food product goes into a branded box or product as goes into a non branded box/product its literally the same.

I cant comment on exact brands for this as that is kind of breaking trust when you work in the warehouses and you sign contracts about that stuff. However it goes on a lot. I cant this applies to every food product and there isnt a way of knowing really unless you have inside info.

However it does highlight what is the point in buying branded product?
    none of these apply to what I saw so maybe for names I am about to mention you might need to buy the name to get the same product but it may be the same again.

I usually buy titan bars not mars bards
    I buy Racer bars not Snickers
    I dont buy Heinze tomato ketchup or mayonnaise I buy the non branded stuff.

If you buy the branded stuff you are literally just paying to have a name on your chocolate wrapper cereal box ketch up bottle or etc. I mean why waste your money paying for a name?

If your struggling it makes no sense
    if your not struggling the money you save may even pay for an extra holiday or new car over the period of a year.
    if your minted I guess it makes no difference as the money means little to you but then why care about the brand name anyway? because its just a name.

If I hit a point where money means nothing I am just as likely to buy a Titan bar as I am a mars bar its simply whichever one is nearer is an Aldi nearer or is it a petrol station?

it makes little sense to go for branded products.
  • Options
    Unless it’s hp brown sauce or Heinz beans, cause nout tastes like those haha
  • Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 904
    Doubleme said:

So I have worked in warehouses before and it is often the case that branded products are literally the same as the non branded products.

When I say literally I mean exactly that the very same food product goes into a branded box or product as goes into a non branded box/product its literally the same.

I cant comment on exact brands for this as that is kind of breaking trust when you work in the warehouses and you sign contracts about that stuff. However it goes on a lot. I cant this applies to every food product and there isnt a way of knowing really unless you have inside info.

However it does highlight what is the point in buying branded product?
    none of these apply to what I saw so maybe for names I am about to mention you might need to buy the name to get the same product but it may be the same again.

I usually buy titan bars not mars bards
    I buy Racer bars not Snickers
    I dont buy Heinze tomato ketchup or mayonnaise I buy the non branded stuff.

If you buy the branded stuff you are literally just paying to have a name on your chocolate wrapper cereal box ketch up bottle or etc. I mean why waste your money paying for a name?

If your struggling it makes no sense
    if your not struggling the money you save may even pay for an extra holiday or new car over the period of a year.
    if your minted I guess it makes no difference as the money means little to you but then why care about the brand name anyway? because its just a name.

If I hit a point where money means nothing I am just as likely to buy a Titan bar as I am a mars bar its simply whichever one is nearer is an Aldi nearer or is it a petrol station?

it makes little sense to go for branded products.

Jives (from Aldi) are significantly better than Twixes, it's not even a close comparison.
  • Options
    Brand Names are important ask any car dealer.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Got to be Kelloggs Corn Flakes or the original Weetabix.
  • Options
    Did you know that Corn flakes where originally created supposedly to be put in mattresses of monks as an anti masturbation sound device thing :)

You can thank johny vegas for sharing that wonderfully useless information!