You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The 25 best rock 'n' roll anthems

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,532
edited December 2023 in The Rail
The most memorable final lyrics from songs

"Won't Get Fooled Again," by The Who (1971)

“Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.”

"Hotel California," by the Eagles (1977)

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

"Comfortably Numb," by Pink Floyd (1979)

"The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/the-most-memorable-final-lyrics-from-songs/ss-AA1lED9e?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0a3d7d31462a41049bd47069826d9bb4&ei=48#image=4

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,273
    edited December 2023
    Don't know how to link the pictures but I offer these 3, tbh I have hundreds because I look for lyrics that resonate with me.

"Hey don't write yourself off yet. It's only in your head you feel left out, or looked down on".

Jimmy Eat World - "The Middle"

"Look, if you had one shot or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment, would you capture it or just let it slip".

Eminem - "Lose Yourself"

"Where the sidewalk soldiers sing their midnight blues, and the old men recite their storylines 'bout when I was young like you"

Bon Jovi - "Wild in the Streets"

ERM sorry the first two are not final lyrics but opening lyrics, the third one is the final line of the opening verse. MY BAD.

Final lyrics would include

"You're not the friend you won't miss anyhow"

Less Than Jake - "All my friends are metalheads"

" I owned every second that this world could give. I saw so many places and the things that I did. With every broken bone I swear I lived"

One republic - " I lived"

"Wanderer come home, you're not to far. Lay down your hurt, lay down your heart, come as you are"

Crowder - "Come as you are"
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,785
    edited December 2023
    We are the champions - of the world!

^only sung live, not on the recording, yet we all remember it.....
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,654
    I love this at the end of a classic Rod Stewart tune, so so true
    The Killing of Georgie
    George once said to me and I quote
    He said, "Never wait or hesitate
    Get in, kid, before it's too late
    You may never get another chance"
    "'Cause youth's a mask but it don't last
    Live it long and live it fast"
    Georgie was a friend of mine
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,245
    stokefc said:

I love this at the end of a classic Rod Stewart tune, so so true
    The Killing of Georgie
    George once said to me and I quote
    He said, "Never wait or hesitate
    Get in, kid, before it's too late
    You may never get another chance"
    "'Cause youth's a mask but it don't last
    Live it long and live it fast"
    Georgie was a friend of mine

@stokefc

Fabulous lyrics.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,532
    edited December 2023
    The 25 best rock 'n' roll anthems

"My Generation" by The Who (1965)

Considered one of the great rock songs of all time. "My Generation" might be The Who's most recognizable tune, which is saying a lot. It became something for the youth to rally around and proudly celebrate. It's also one of the most covered songs in rock history. Teen angst is totally rock and roll.

"Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf (1968)

A popular track in the biker culture (maybe because it was featured in the cult film Easy Rider). "Born to be Wild," in some circles, is also considered one of the first heavy metal songs, perhaps because "heavy metal" is part of the lyrics.

"Another Brick In The Wall, Pt. 2" by Pink Floyd (1979)

The most recognized of the three parts from Floyd's conceptual gem, The Wall. Most notably because of the famed line, "We don't need no education." How many kids around the world are thinking the same thing? It's probably the track Pink Floyd is known best for, even among the band's countless exceptional titles during its lengthy run.

"Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey (1981)

At the time, the opening track of Journey's massively successful Escape album was sandwiched between ballads "Who's Crying Now" and "Open Arms." However, the song has enjoyed a revival in popularity over the years. From the theme of the Chicago White Sox's run to the 2005 World Series to its role in the popular TV series Glee, "Don't Stop Believin'" has earned classic status.

"I Love Rock 'n' Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (1982)

Joan Jett's cover of this 1970s tune by little-known English rockers the Arrows was another track that benefited from plenty of radio airplay and MTV. Jett is punk at her core, but following the demise of The Runaways, she hit the pop stage, and this track, which she first recorded in 1979, made her one of the biggest visual stars of the early 1980s.

"Born in the U.S.A." by Bruce Springsteen (1984)

Plenty of rock and pop fans missed the boat when it came to the true meaning of this Springsteen hit. The chorus is loud, powerful, and certainly anthemic. It's a subtle protest song, specifically calling attention to the difficult plight of some Vietnam veterans returning to a normal life after the war. Absorbing the true purpose of the song makes it much more powerful.

"Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi (1986)

Another massive sing-a-long favorite, especially in a crowded bar when turning down the volume during the chorus. It's a song that has truly spanned decades and held up extremely well. The hopeful tale of Tommy and Gina trying to make it through life is Bon Jovi's most recognized hit.

"Highway to H ell" by AC/DC (1979)

From Angus Young's memorable riff to Bon Scott's whiskey-fueled howl, "Highway to ****" arguably stands tall above the rest of AC/DC's many anthemic tunes. A song about the rigors of touring and not really an ode to Satan, it's one of the most beloved tracks for its overall tightness. It's a song that does not waste any time, has great pace, and encapsulates the band.