You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Who is the best team there was in premier league history

Williams12Williams12 Member Posts: 147
which one stands out

Comments

• Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,600
    the 90s manchester united no contest.

I am not even a manu fan but I will always remember what they did to southampton that time.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited February 11
    Doubleme said:

the 90s manchester united no contest.

I am not even a manu fan but I will always remember what they did to southampton that time.

Apart from the Grey kit game (well, 1st half)

I think last season's City team is the best in Premier League era
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,744
    gotta be the invincibles.....
  • Options
    legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 124
    Liverpool by miles dominated Europe late seventies early eighties
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,036
    It's impossible to compare teams from different times but what a one off competition this would be of each team in their prime.

Man Utd - 1999 Treble.
    Arsenal - 2004 Invincibles.
    Chelsea - 2005 15 Goals conceded.
    Man City - 2023 Treble.

Would be interesting to see how the bookies would price that mini league up.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,471
    legascaac said:

Liverpool by miles dominated Europe late seventies early eighties

@legascaac

Yes, but that was pre Premier League was it not?

"Who is the best team there was in premier league history"

• Options
    ok fair point Tony but its great to see Man Utd back where they belong --- the greatest premier team . its a tough one been a lot off good teams over the time off the premier league . MAN CITY just in my humble opinion just now . But especially if they win again this year and defend European CROWN AS WELL something the others have not done the great teams win both again and again . something only one team has done before it was premier league as you said .
  • Options
    It's a lot easier to name the hardest player .
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    It depends how you look at it.

Pound for pound? The current Man City team would have the highest EV. They are exceptional. Even in today's environment they totally dominate. It's Cruyff, meets Bielsa, meets Zeman with the exact players they need for it. Pep is clear of mind and certain of himself. It works.

Liverpool are almost as good because they play the same. Albeit at the highest tempo. I fear Jurgen can't be more controlled because he has to use the randomness of his tempo to overcome the superb backroom team City have. His only hope is a bit of good variance.

Current Man City would win the most games followed by current Liverpool, even against The Invicibles who i mention below.

Man Uniteds highest points tally ever? 91. Pep has topped that many times. Jurgen has beaten that tally too, by some distance.

The greatest team of their time?

Its Arsenal's invicibles, by far imo. It was the point that Wenger got to equilibrium and had built his team. Henry was the most unplayable player in prem history. Anyone who tries to tell you Cristiano at his prem peak, was better, is wrong, imo. Of course Cristiano was astonishing, but those who saw Henry that season saw someone who just went past people at will. Over and over again. He just kicked the ball and ran past them. No messing about. Only his mentality stopped him scoring more.

Sol Campbell was utterly dominant. He was so good they didn't lose a game with Kolo Toure as his partner most of the way, with all due respect to Gilberto Silva too. It's difficult to name many of Wenger's dominant centre backs even over all those years. After Sol Campbell the best was possibly.... who? Laurent Koscielny imo.

2 more words - Patrick Vieira. Oh my days.

Arsenal still only clocked 90 pts tho.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    I did write this. Oh no. Cringe! I got back from a doo totally sloshed last night and thought I was Statto.

I mostly agree with Statto here tho just not in those words.

Shout out to Mourinho's Chelsea of his first stint, tho.
  • Options
    City closely followed by Liverpool
    Kapowblamz
    a couldn’t agree more a think your right on the money with that
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,790
    Derby County

@Jac35
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477

Derby County

@Jac35

Fxxx Off
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299
    As a Liverpool,it hurts me to say, despite Citee's recent run....it has to be the redgobshites known as Man Utd.

That run, including the 99 treble, then the rebuild by Fergie.....
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    madprof said:

As a Liverpool,it hurts me to say, despite Citee's recent run....it has to be the redgobshites known as Man Utd.

That run, including the 99 treble, then the rebuild by Fergie.....

Agree. Except for the redgobshites bit.

Been a fan since Munich so have to defend sorry.
  • Options
    Buggerme @tai-gar , how old are you?! 💩
  • Options
    madprof said:

Buggerme @tai-gar , how old are you?! 💩

Sorry, that wasn't an invite!😳
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    There has only been 7 teams that have won it since it's inception 32 years ago and two of those teams will probably never come near to winning it again , out of the 5 teams , and i'm saying this through gritted teeth the Arsenal invincibles just for the sheer fact that they never lost a game although what i hear Man City play incredible football , i say hear because i never watch the jizzed up premier league so my point is probably moot
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    stokefc said:

There has only been 7 teams that have won it since it's inception 32 years ago and two of those teams will probably never come near to winning it again , out of the 5 teams , and i'm saying this through gritted teeth the Arsenal invincibles just for the sheer fact that they never lost a game although what i hear Man City play incredible football , i say hear because i never watch the jizzed up premier league so my point is probably moot

Big fan of that way of putting it :)
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 512
    One of the Man Utd teams for me They had so many ways to beat teams and were relentless in their pursuit of wins. Old Trafford had a fear factor that Man City just don't have, despite being a fantastic team.

I wouldn't go for The Invincibles. Sour grapes as a Pompey fan, but the Pires dive against us to salvage a point at Highbury was a disgrace in game 5. Yakubu also missed a late sitter for the win in game 36.