You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Lee Anderson joins Reform UK in move which leaves 'serious questions' about Rishi Sunak

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,043
edited March 12 in The Rail

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    Tory firebrand '30p Lee' Anderson says there is NO poverty in Britain that compares to the misery of the 1970s - and dismisses HS2 rail downgrade by saying no-one wants to travel to Bradford quickly

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12592333/Tory-30p-Lee-Anderson-says-NO-poverty-Britain.html
  • Options
    SCOTFOXSCOTFOX Member Posts: 186
    Strange that an ex miner is now a key Tory and it leaves me wondering what he thought about Maggie in the 80's. Food & fuel price increases must make it increasingly difficult for families, and especially single parents. My daughter has two young kids, but both her and her husband have good jobs and they can afford to live comfortably despite the increases. Supermarkets are getting robbed regularly by people with no money, who can't afford to buy food!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    SCOTFOX said:

Strange that an ex miner is now a key Tory and it leaves me wondering what he thought about Maggie in the 80's. Food & fuel price increases must make it increasingly difficult for families, and especially single parents. My daughter has two young kids, but both her and her husband have good jobs and they can afford to live comfortably despite the increases. Supermarkets are getting robbed regularly by people with no money, who can't afford to buy food!

Early life and career
    Anderson was born in Nottinghamshire, attending John Davies Primary School and Ashfield School.[2] His father was a coal miner. Anderson worked as a coal miner for ten years, and then volunteered and eventually worked for Citizens Advice for another decade.[3][4] Afterwards, he worked in hostels supporting homeless care leavers.[5][6]

In his youth, Anderson was a member of Arthur Scargill's National Union of Mineworkers and campaigned for the Labour Party's Michael Foot in the 1983 general election. He cites Scargill, Dennis Skinner, and Tony Benn as important influences in his early political beliefs.[7]

Local political career
    Anderson was a longtime member of the Labour Party and was elected as a councillor in the 2015 Ashfield District Council election, representing Huthwaite and Brierley ward.[8] He was suspended in February 2018 by the local branch of the Labour Party after receiving a community protection warning by the council for using boulders to block members of the Traveller community from "setting up camp at a site in the area".[9] The following month, Anderson defected to the Conservative Party, which he stated was a response to the "takeover" of the Labour Party by the "hard-left", particularly through the left-wing political organisation Momentum.[10] He was elected as a Conservative councillor on Mansfield District Council, representing the Oakham ward between 2019 and 2021.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Anderson_(British_politician)
  • Options
    SCOTFOXSCOTFOX Member Posts: 186
    HAYSIE said:

SCOTFOX said:

Early life and career
    Anderson was born in Nottinghamshire, attending John Davies Primary School and Ashfield School.[2] His father was a coal miner. Anderson worked as a coal miner for ten years, and then volunteered and eventually worked for Citizens Advice for another decade.[3][4] Afterwards, he worked in hostels supporting homeless care leavers.[5][6]

In his youth, Anderson was a member of Arthur Scargill's National Union of Mineworkers and campaigned for the Labour Party's Michael Foot in the 1983 general election. He cites Scargill, Dennis Skinner, and Tony Benn as important influences in his early political beliefs.[7]

Local political career
    Anderson was a longtime member of the Labour Party and was elected as a councillor in the 2015 Ashfield District Council election, representing Huthwaite and Brierley ward.[8] He was suspended in February 2018 by the local branch of the Labour Party after receiving a community protection warning by the council for using boulders to block members of the Traveller community from "setting up camp at a site in the area".[9] The following month, Anderson defected to the Conservative Party, which he stated was a response to the "takeover" of the Labour Party by the "hard-left", particularly through the left-wing political organisation Momentum.[10] He was elected as a Conservative councillor on Mansfield District Council, representing the Oakham ward between 2019 and 2021.[11]

A guy that has values and you can trust hahaha
  • Options
    SCOTFOX said:

HAYSIE said:

SCOTFOX said:

Early life and career

Local political career

A guy that has values and you can trust hahaha
    He changes his mind a lot.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,576
    semantics and definitions will always vary. I am sure the people having to give up food or heating and struggle would disagree with lee those working long hours and getting further into debt would disagree.

mind you the people from the 70s did not know real poverty I will tell you where real poverty is North Korea.

See you can always find something worse or some time worse but I dont believe in allowing things to get much worse just because somewhere else or at some other point in time people had it harder.

I believe a man working 40 hours on a minimum wage job should be able to support a family whilst the wife stays home and raises the kids. To live in luxery or go on holiday twice a year or have a fancy car etc no.

but to support the family with the basic essentials yes. I dont know why my opinion there is so controversial.