You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Will the last person to leave, turn out the lights...

rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
Is this what Scotland's become ....

https://youtu.be/OJbdxp1T4Qg?si=8FFZ-2p78Sgf6lHL

In the words of Mark E Smith " This is nuts".

Comments

• Options
    More than 3,000 complaints on the first day.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,524

@rabdeniro

I thought it interesting that J K Rowlings said this;

"If they go after any woman for simply calling a man a man, I'll repeat that woman's words and they can charge us both at once."

Say what you like about her, but she's some brave lady, all things considered.

• Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,617
    I am a strong believer in freedom of speech.

I have been told off quite aggressively in the past by a do gooder politically correct lefty that I shouldn't talk about evolution because "evolution is just a theory and it may be offensive to Muslims"

there was an islamic girl in our social group to be fair she was alright and didn't say this her self it was her do goody lefty friend who did.

I am not seriously going to entertain that as things are right now one could be jailed for mentioning evolution I think if that happened there would be massive out cry massive protests and a huge back lash.

However what I will note is that there are definitely a large number number of lefties that would think this way, and religious Muslims too. So it is not unfathomable that this could actually be the case in the future.

Of course that could also go the other way and if the far right get into power one day they may define hate speech as something akin to seeing others as equal to white.

This is why it is so dangerous to mess with freedom of speech, the speech laws may be on your side one day but may be used by your ideological enemies the next day.

• Options
    Tikay10 said:

@rabdeniro

I thought it interesting that J K Rowlings said this;

"If they go after any woman for simply calling a man a man, I'll repeat that woman's words and they can charge us both at once."

Say what you like about her, but she's some brave lady, all things considered.

She's got some baws on her ;) .
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Doubleme said:

I have been told off quite aggressively in the past by a do gooder politically correct lefty that I shouldn't talk about evolution because "evolution is just a theory and it may be offensive to Muslims"

there was an islamic girl in our social group to be fair she was alright and didn't say this her self it was her do goody lefty friend who did.

I am not seriously going to entertain that as things are right now one could be jailed for mentioning evolution I think if that happened there would be massive out cry massive protests and a huge back lash.

However what I will note is that there are definitely a large number number of lefties that would think this way, and religious Muslims too. So it is not unfathomable that this could actually be the case in the future.

Of course that could also go the other way and if the far right get into power one day they may define hate speech as something akin to seeing others as equal to white.

This is why it is so dangerous to mess with freedom of speech, the speech laws may be on your side one day but may be used by your ideological enemies the next day.

Interesting how you say evolution "may be offensive to Muslims" yet ignore the fact that the exact same offence may be experienced by Christians. Surely that's being divisive based on religion and therefore an example of hate speech. To not be guilty you would have to include all religions that believe in a Creator.

Fecking crazy isn't it.

• Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,617

Doubleme said:

Interesting how you say evolution "may be offensive to Muslims" yet ignore the fact that the exact same offence may be experienced by Christians. Surely that's being divisive based on religion and therefore an example of hate speech. To not be guilty you would have to include all religions that believe in a Creator.

Fecking crazy isn't it.

well actually this is one area I suspect where me and you would find very common ground. it is generally considered ok to be offensive against Christians or jews but not Muslims.
    Take the Life of Brian by Monty python it was hilarious and should never be banned its freedom of speech after all but it is definitely ridiculing Christianity and Jesus. Now if someone made a film with a similar concept but instead of ripping on Jesus they ripped on Muhamad how do you see that going down?

I believe in freedom of speech but also in equality of speech any religious claim whether it is Christianity Islam atheism or simulation hypothesis all of these are ideas truth claims etc. all ideas/truth claims should be open to criticism and open to ridicule.

if one group is protected from criticism and the other isnt that is not right. We both know I could get away with saying very harsh things about Christianity but criticise Islam and a prison sentence is possible.

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Doubleme said:

Doubleme said:

Fecking crazy isn't it.

well actually this is one area I suspect where me and you would find very common ground. it is generally considered ok to be offensive against Christians or jews but not Muslims.
    Take the Life of Brian by Monty python it was hilarious and should never be banned its freedom of speech after all but it is definitely ridiculing Christianity and Jesus. Now if someone made a film with a similar concept but instead of ripping on Jesus they ripped on Muhamad how do you see that going down?

I believe in freedom of speech but also in equality of speech any religious claim whether it is Christianity Islam atheism or simulation hypothesis all of these are ideas truth claims etc. all ideas/truth claims should be open to criticism and open to ridicule.

if one group is protected from criticism and the other isnt that is not right. We both know I could get away with saying very harsh things about Christianity but criticise Islam and a prison sentence is possible.

The thing is I am a very serious person when it comes to Christianity as you are probably aware.

However, The Life of Brian is funny, hilariously so, and there are many in my Church who frequently quote lines from the movie. "He's not The Messiah. He's a very naughty boy", "Blessed are The Cheesemakers", etc.

The point is it's not actually ridiculing Christ or Christianity. What it does do, and very well at that, is satarise the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, the apathy of the Jews and the vast improvements that the occupying roman forces made to the people.

It highlights Christian teaching such as being wary of false prophets and seeking your own path. It draws attention to the lack of women's rights in that society and pokes fun at the Jewish resistance.

If any Christian finds the film offensive then I would love to know what part offends them and why.
  • Options
    What happens here with comedians, some of Connolly's, Boyles, Flannigans and Bridges jokes and stories will be offensive as **** to lots of people but really funny to others.
    Will some folk watching them be straight on the blower shouting hate crime.