You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Cropped out, banned, airbrushed: the school photos that show the ugly face of Britain today

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,181
edited April 4 in The Rail
Omitting ASN children from school photo was shameful, Humza Yousaf says

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/omitting-asn-children-school-photo-162738960.html

Comments

• Options
    Cropped out, banned, airbrushed: the school photos that show the ugly face of Britain today

Another mum, this time in Leeds, told me that her autistic daughter was excluded entirely from her school photo. Having previously been bullied, she was isolated and taught from a “hub” alongside a child with Down’s syndrome and other pupils with special educational needs and disabilities (Send). One day, the family received a generic invoice for a school photo but her daughter said she hadn’t had one taken. “I rang the school and they told me that the photographer ‘didn’t take pictures of the children in the hub’,” she says. “They meant disabled children.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/cropped-out-banned-airbrushed-the-school-photos-that-show-the-ugly-face-of-britain-today/ar-BB1l3iZz?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=36675187d4584c9c90df40cd85dc9d02&ei=50
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,593
    HAYSIE said:

Another mum, this time in Leeds, told me that her autistic daughter was excluded entirely from her school photo. Having previously been bullied, she was isolated and taught from a “hub” alongside a child with Down’s syndrome and other pupils with special educational needs and disabilities (Send). One day, the family received a generic invoice for a school photo but her daughter said she hadn’t had one taken. “I rang the school and they told me that the photographer ‘didn’t take pictures of the children in the hub’,” she says. “They meant disabled children.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/cropped-out-banned-airbrushed-the-school-photos-that-show-the-ugly-face-of-britain-today/ar-BB1l3iZz?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=36675187d4584c9c90df40cd85dc9d02&ei=50

Despicable in the extreme. What is this world coming to.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Despicable in the extreme. What is this world coming to.
    I am at a loss to understand why any teacher would stand back, and permit this to happen.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573

I obviously agree with the sentiment here, but we don't have any evidence that this was done deliberately. It's entirely possible that it was due to a misunderstanding or accident. I'd certainly hope that was the case & we have not seen any real evidence that it was done deliberately/intentionally.

I'm pretty sure it was not deliberate, though maybe that's just wishful thinking.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

I obviously agree with the sentiment here, but we don't have any evidence that this was done deliberately. It's entirely possible that it was due to a misunderstanding or accident. I'd certainly hope that was the case & we have not seen any real evidence that it was done deliberately/intentionally.

I'm pretty sure it was not deliberate, though maybe that's just wishful thinking.

A photographer is said to have taken separate pictures: one with the children with “additional needs” and one without. Parents were then given both versions to choose from. Reportedly, a set of twins was split up. The child who uses a wheelchair was excluded from one photo, while their twin, who isn’t disabled, was photographed with the rest of the class.
  • Options
    edited April 4
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

A photographer is said to have taken separate pictures: one with the children with “additional needs” and one without. Parents were then given both versions to choose from. Reportedly, a set of twins was split up. The child who uses a wheelchair was excluded from one photo, while their twin, who isn’t disabled, was photographed with the rest of the class.

Aberdeenshire pupils with complex needs ‘erased’ from school photo
    Families sent two versions of a class photo to choose from, with one excluding children with additional needs

“To give people the option to erase my daughter from history for the sake of optics is frankly inhumane. One of the cruellest things that I’ve ever experienced. Me and the other parents just feel devastated beyond belief.”

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/mar/29/aberdeenshire-pupils-with-complex-needs-erased-from-school-photo
  • Options
    edited April 4

Well that's just completely inexcusable.

What WERE they thinking, both the School, the photographer?

Whoever made these horrific decisions needs to be sacked & maybe even taken to Court for child cruelty.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Well that's just completely inexcusable.

What WERE they thinking, both the School, the photographer?

Whoever made these horrific decisions needs to be sacked & maybe even taken to Court for child cruelty.

It was extremely cruel.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
    edited April 4
    So easy to blame the photographer.

Rather more difficult to blame the primary cause. Simply because it is us-the end user.

School photographers don't do this sort of stuff because they are inherently evil. They do it because they know that they will make more money. Simply because the Parents will buy more photos if certain kids are airbrushed out.

Easy to blame the photographer. Rather more tricky to accept the real reason. A substantial minority won't admit it-but they will vote with their wallets. While joining in with other's indignation. While being the true cause.

That is the real ugly face of Britain today.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Rather more difficult to blame the primary cause. Simply because it is us-the end user.

School photographers don't do this sort of stuff because they are inherently evil. They do it because they know that they will make more money. Simply because the Parents will buy more photos if certain kids are airbrushed out.

Easy to blame the photographer. Rather more tricky to accept the real reason. A substantial minority won't admit it-but they will vote with their wallets. While joining in with other's indignation. While being the true cause.

@Essexphil

Seriously? Wow.

I suppose, bearing that in mind, it all makes more sense now.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

Sad, but true.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    I think a little of it is also down to ignorance.

A little like the people who save donkeys and whales but gladly consume eggs, 40,000,000 male chicks are either gassed or thrown into a woodchipper type machine every year.
    Or those who stand outside fast food outlets screaming at meat eaters whilst sporting tattoos probably made with non vegan ink.

I don't think some of them mean to be hypocrites they just don't think it through. As a meat eater I accept responsibility for a certain amount of cruelty to animals, which is why, even though I adopt a donkey, have 2 cats and would never abuse an animal I could not in all integrity call myself an animal lover.

Unless you count loving them on a plate alongside the potatoes and gravy.

This is I feel the reason for these things happening. People want equality and inclusivity, until it makes them uncomfortable.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,511
    When my boys went to School each year they would come home with school photo of them only in uniform with price on different sizes photos to choose from. Never ever saw photo of their class or hole School picture. Was eventually told you had to ask and the photographer would print one for you from commissioned Pictures for the School.
    This was only good while they were young when they reached thirteen the photos never got brought home or any notes from the Teachers regard homework or detention.
    Took Parent evening to find out the truth that Larking about was their best subject. ?