You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

One in four kids aged 5 to 7 own a smartphone while 3-year-olds use social media, shock study finds

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,212
edited April 27 in The Rail

Comments

• Options
    London headteacher introducing 12-hour school day to tackle smartphone addiction

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/london-headteacher-introducing-12-hour-114111967.html
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,616

I'm not sure if what this guy is doing is the answer, but "smartphone addiction" really is a thing, especially in children, & something HAS to be done.

The article hints at some of the problems - "lack of ability to make eye contact or socially interact" is something that is almost never recognized as a problem, but it's changing society, much for the worse.

And we even see it here, on a teeny weeny little Forum, folks come on for the very first time & don't take the trouble to introduce themselves, say hi, or use "please" or "thank you". And that reflects the real world these days, we have lost the ability to communicate well or properly.

Then there's lack of self-awareness, don't even start me on that.

• Options

PS - Yup, I'm super-grumpy this morning.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

PS - Yup, I'm super-grumpy this morning.

Still some valid points.
    Although I find it difficult to foresee any change when in many cases the parents are at least as bad as the kids.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    We're all guilty of it though, maybe not as bad as the youth of today but still, I'm on my phone now admittedly I'm in me van on me todd having a brew
    I was talking to the site manager the other day and whilst he was looking through the window he noticed one of the young lads on his phone, he started raging saying that boy is never off his phone
  • Options
    stokefc said:

We're all guilty of it though, maybe not as bad as the youth of today but still, I'm on my phone now admittedly I'm in me van on me todd having a brew
    I was talking to the site manager the other day and whilst he was looking through the window he noticed one of the young lads on his phone, he started raging saying that boy is never off his phone

@stokefc

Absolutely, & I'm especially addicted.

I wfh & am often online the entire day, 7am to 11pm with a short break in the afternoon. Thankfully, I've taken up golf & that "forces" me off the internet.

The internet is more addictive than any drug. More dangerous in many ways too.

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,513
    It is Educational as you can look up anything in an instant ..... hic!
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

stokefc said:

@stokefc

Absolutely, & I'm especially addicted.

I wfh & am often online the entire day, 7am to 11pm with a short break in the afternoon. Thankfully, I've taken up golf & that "forces" me off the internet.

The internet is more addictive than any drug. More dangerous in many ways too.

One in four kids aged 5 to 7 own a smartphone while 3-year-olds use social media, shock study finds

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/family-relationships/one-in-four-kids-aged-5-to-7-own-a-smartphone-while-3-year-olds-use-social-media-shock-study-finds/ar-AA1ngAda?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=58839ab24a454268adc5f899ace12a1f&ei=129
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,751
    just think in the future, folk will be hard wired to it all, with chips in their brain instead of phones in their hand.