You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The real problem

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,721
So I have posted a few doomsday scenarios here and have made the odd comment in passing but nearly everything stems from a single issue and I think I am going to shock the forums when I say this. Because people normally link people that say this to anti semeticism. Although I think it is a smoke screen to shut down the debate. Usually this is something only mentioned by the far right but I think people that mention it are just slandered by the media as far right to shut it down. To be clear this isn't anything against any ethnicity or religion the fact that allegedly a few people who happen to fit into a certain catergory are allegedly involved in something does not say anything about the group as a whole.

I am talking about compounding debt/compounding interest. See I have my criticism of the Tories sure but the cost of living crises is happening in multiple places not just here, the Tories make things worse quicker then other places.
Some people blame immigration and certainly if there is more people competing for/seeking the same housing it will push up the cost of living. However it is the compounding interest/debt which fuels immigration. See the entire global economy is a giant ponzi scheme and there is not enough to fund the compounding growth without a compounding population. It is a giant ponzi scheme where the debt is kicked down the road.

I am not sure how many people know this but over 99% of money in circulation is actually debt. When you deposit money into a bank the bank are allowed to loan that money out to others but more then that when people borrow that money they then put a deposit of those funds into a bank account which means that bank is allowed to lend that money out again. Further its actually multiples of that money. When you borrow money for a morgtage car loan or whatever the bank is allowed to literally make that money up on the spot.

Our government is in debt as many should know and that debt can only be paid by taxes but they cannot keep those commitements without more to tax so they delibrately let mass immigration happen. Of course when people are pushed into further and further poverty and forced to work longer and longer hours the birthrate goes down so the original population decreases and is replaced. Which fuels far right mentallity of claims of replacement theory.
I am not going down that path personally I care about cultural values of tolerance and freedom I am not fussed about which ethnicity make up a country has. I consider myself a libertarian utilitarian I believe in the greatest happiness of the greatest number and people should have the freedom to live how they want to so long as it does not directly affect others. EG if people want to be gay trans do drugs prostitute themselves or etc etc they should have the freedom to do that, I am not trying to equivicate any of those to each other either.

So we have a constant compounding debt burden growing larger and larger. Now it gets worse say Person A earns a good salary in this example we will say they earn £100,000 a year now they can get a buy to let morgtrage on this where the bank is allowed to make up money that does not exist and has never existed on the spot, The bank cannot lose money if person A for whatever reason cannot pay back the morgtage the bank can reposes the property. Now it is difficult for Person A to lose money sure they can get bad tenants and sure they can hit negative equity however, if They do not over leverage themselves, and they take out appropriate landlord insurance they will be unlikely to get into negative equity and landlord insurance will pay out if they took appropriate steps as per that contract. However it is very difficult for say person B been a working class person on minium wage to even get the privledge of paying rent which would eat up most of his entire monthly pay check, whilst the landlord is making a profit on nothing effectively.

Now I know that some people on here are landlords and take offense at this, look I am not going to hate people for been landlords there is a saying dont hate the player hate the game. Of course people will take advantage of rules in their favour who wouldn't thats why the lakers the suns the warriors the celtics and the clippers have been diving and violenty fouling the whole time in the NBA playoffs. All I will say though is don't cry if you make a loss as a landlord because expecting gaurenteed profit on a game that is effectively rigged for you regardless of how much risk you decide to absorb chasing that profit is the embodiment of self entitlement.

However it goes much further then this the rich will always be able to get bigger loans and aquire the assets, This system ultimately ends up with a few people owning everything. whilst the poorer get poorer this system has to go bankrupt though the compounding debt will become unservicible this isn't mindless speculation this is basic math.

Sadly it actually mentions this exact thing in revealations which @TheEdge949 will like, of course many explanations for that other then god.

there is a video series on youtube that explains all this brilliantly, and simply better then I ever could if I tried to explain it in more depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nBPN-MKefA&list=PLmpODdsfprYH4Fhsso8PVPQBNxVDQSgb_

Comments

• Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 245
    In reality all money is just human made @Doubleme and worthless in reality - currency can be any object, there has to be someone rich for someone else to be poor and these cultural, religious, economic and ethical problems will sadly always exist with greed playing a major part in our society. We cannot solve that no matter what is done by any government sadly.

What we can do is remember that our health and life first and foremost is priceless and wish some of the madness going on daily around us would cease and people would think before they act.

If we could all just do something for someone else daily even as simple as just acknowledging someone on the street the world just might be a better place o:)
  • Options
    JammyFker said:

In reality all money is just human made @Doubleme and worthless in reality - currency can be any object, there has to be someone rich for someone else to be poor and these cultural, religious, economic and ethical problems will sadly always exist with greed playing a major part in our society. We cannot solve that no matter what is done by any government sadly.

What we can do is remember that our health and life first and foremost is priceless and wish some of the madness going on daily around us would cease and people would think before they act.

If we could all just do something for someone else daily even as simple as just acknowledging someone on the street the world just might be a better place o:)

I am aware of currency people have been paid in salt (hence the expression worth their salt) sugar coco leaves sea shells etc etc.

There is no perfect system because perfect is always relative and what works in some ways is detrimental in others. A good example of this is perfect weather it does not exist because person A may want a nice sunny day for their wedding day but Farmer brooks may desperately need rain for his crops.

However there are definitely better ways then keeping the vast majority of the population stressed in destitution whilst a tiny elite percentage enjoy more wealth then they could ever reasonably use in a life time.

But it goes further then that I am not one to advocate for communism I am aware that there will always be those richer then others, however this rig is on another level and its not just that a some will be richer then others its that the entire global economy is based on continuous exponential growth to service a compounding debt. Its impossible to maintain without bankruptsy unless we literally colonise the entire universe and the universe is infinite. I am all for some having more then others because the alternative would be to massively curb our freedoms, however this current system results in the eventuality that the over 99.999% of all humanity is broke with nothing forced into destitution owning absolutely nothing, whilst working every waking hour and often dying in the streets whilst a tiny fraction enjoy untold riches that they would struggle to ever spend even if they tried.

you may think i am been hyperbolic but this is just exponential maths.
  • Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 245
    Maths unf does not solve any world problems ;)
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,113
    edited May 1
    I don't mean to be rude. But this really isn't maths. Not even close.

Everything costs money. Money costs money. Which means compound interest is inevitable.

Let's make the maths simpler so that you (and others who don't like maths) can see what I mean.

Let's forget daily/monthly compounding. And let's just assume that there is an interest rate of 10% per annum, without the "extra" compounding.

If A lends B £1,000 for 1 year, he would get £1,100 back. The 10% per annum on his money.

Now suppose A lends B £1,000 for 2 years. He doesn't get £1,200 back. He gets £1,210. Because there is interest on the accrued interest-that is what compounding is. Otherwise people would lend the £1,100 in year 2.

You believe that being a landlord is a risk-free occupation. Of course it is not. And you fundamentally fail to understand that "insurance" for landlords protects lenders-not landlords.

The single most important cause of antisemitism throughout history has been people's failure to understand the way moneylending works, and fail to understand that money is a commodity, like everything else. And blame the lender for their debt.

PS. Well done on your win the other night.

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,289
    Jeremy Irons character summed it up perfectly in the film Margin Call. He says to Kevin Spacey's character.

"It's just money, it's made up. It's just pieces of paper so we don't have to kill someone in order to get something to eat".

It's actually a really good film about the financial collapse of 2008 and has Paul Bettany and Zachary Quinto as the main protagonists, with supporting roles from Stanley Tucci, Demi Moore, Simon Baker, Isaacs and Spacey.

Anyway back on topic. There is no perfect system. Either the State owns the wealth "Communism" or individuals own the wealth "Capitalism".

Unfortunately society has allowed wealth to be the benchmark by which everything is judged. Take footballers as an example, time was they were judged on how many caps or trophies they had won or even by how much they were transferred for. Now it's simply by who has the biggest paypacket.

It's the same in everyday life, people want bigger houses, better cars, more luxurious vacations, the latest phones, tvs, computers because that's how they think success and therefore status is measured.

It's also this insatiable drive that fuels debt and causes much of the stress and misery that people seem to live with on a daily basis and allows those in the positions of power to leverage us to the hilt.

And behind it all. The Illuminati, secretly, or sometimes openly running the banks, the conglomerates, the corporations, the media and influencing Governments. The right hand of Satan creating the perfect society for his rule. One where morals, truth, law and order, respect and compassion are driven away in favour of a hedonism encompassing greed, avarice, lies, deceit, jealousy, rage and hate.

Many people who have had a little Christian instruction will say that the Bible says money is the root of all evil. Actually, it's not the money itself that is the root of the evil but rather the relentless pursuit and the desire for ever greater acquisition.

The Catholic Church is perhaps one of the biggest exponents of this evil. Any Church that requires it's own bank is fundamentally wrong and has no place preaching Gods word. The Enemy is everywhere.

• Options

Jeremy Irons character summed it up perfectly in the film Margin Call. He says to Kevin Spacey's character.

"It's just money, it's made up. It's just pieces of paper so we don't have to kill someone in order to get something to eat".

It's actually a really good film about the financial collapse of 2008 and has Paul Bettany and Zachary Quinto as the main protagonists, with supporting roles from Stanley Tucci, Demi Moore, Simon Baker, Isaacs and Spacey.

Anyway back on topic. There is no perfect system. Either the State owns the wealth "Communism" or individuals own the wealth "Capitalism".

Unfortunately society has allowed wealth to be the benchmark by which everything is judged. Take footballers as an example, time was they were judged on how many caps or trophies they had won or even by how much they were transferred for. Now it's simply by who has the biggest paypacket.

It's the same in everyday life, people want bigger houses, better cars, more luxurious vacations, the latest phones, tvs, computers because that's how they think success and therefore status is measured.

It's also this insatiable drive that fuels debt and causes much of the stress and misery that people seem to live with on a daily basis and allows those in the positions of power to leverage us to the hilt.

And behind it all. The Illuminati, secretly, or sometimes openly running the banks, the conglomerates, the corporations, the media and influencing Governments. The right hand of Satan creating the perfect society for his rule. One where morals, truth, law and order, respect and compassion are driven away in favour of a hedonism encompassing greed, avarice, lies, deceit, jealousy, rage and hate.

Many people who have had a little Christian instruction will say that the Bible says money is the root of all evil. Actually, it's not the money itself that is the root of the evil but rather the relentless pursuit and the desire for ever greater acquisition.

The Catholic Church is perhaps one of the biggest exponents of this evil. Any Church that requires it's own bank is fundamentally wrong and has no place preaching Gods word. The Enemy is everywhere.

The Bible says no such thing. The actual text states:-

"Love of money is the root of all evil"

A very different thing.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Everything costs money. Money costs money. Which means compound interest is inevitable.

Let's make the maths simpler so that you (and others who don't like maths) can see what I mean.

Let's forget daily/monthly compounding. And let's just assume that there is an interest rate of 10% per annum, without the "extra" compounding.

If A lends B £1,000 for 1 year, he would get £1,100 back. The 10% per annum on his money.

Now suppose A lends B £1,000 for 2 years. He doesn't get £1,200 back. He gets £1,210. Because there is interest on the accrued interest-that is what compounding is. Otherwise people would lend the £1,100 in year 2.

You believe that being a landlord is a risk-free occupation. Of course it is not. And you fundamentally fail to understand that "insurance" for landlords protects lenders-not landlords.

The single most important cause of antisemitism throughout history has been people's failure to understand the way moneylending works, and fail to understand that money is a commodity, like everything else. And blame the lender for their debt.

I think your missing a few things firstly I do understand compounding interest it was kind of my point, and I am not saying that someone should be able to borrow money without any cost. However there is a strong difference between a loan from one individual to another individual where the first individual has to have the capital to loan and the situation where banks can literally make money up on the spot.

It would be reasonable for the first individual to charge interest or a fee for the loan as they are without the capital for a period and the chance of been paid back in full is not 100%.

It is however a completely different scenario when banks are allowed to make up money on the spot and are not required to have the capital to begin with.

If I had a credit card in which I paid off with a second credit card and you asked me how I was going to pay that second credit card off and I said with a third credit card etc etc going through multiple credit cards with new credit cards added regularly you would likely tell me that I was going to go bankrupt I assume? or you might try to be awkward and say it depends on how much the debt is and how much money I earn?

Fine but then with money constantly been made up and debt compounding the repayment is growing at an exponential growth, and the interest on the payment is only ever payable with created debt, hence as the debt compounds more money needs to be created leading to runaway inflation.

In an economy where we have constant debt been created and all that can be used to pay of a loan is debt we a situation which is unstable where a few people end up owning everything.

in regards to me believing that been a landlord is a risk free occupation few points to that. Firstly I do not believe it fair to call it an occupation, we have met our landlord once only and that was when they came to view the property to buy it from the previous landlord who we never met. When there is a problem with the property we contact the letting agency who I believe contacts the landlord, who then simply has to spend five minutes responding to an email or answering a phone call. It would be one thing if when the hot water went the landlord was over here to check the problem out himself. you might argue that the landlord has multiple properties so answering the emails is a full time job in which case wow on the been allocated fictional money. If I came into a few million by whatever means we imagine and just simply invested the money into a portfolio of diversified dividend stocks and then never worked a day in my life, and maybe checked on the stocks 3 or 4 times a year for half an hour at a time would you say my occupation was investor? I guess if yes then we can call landlord an occupation.

Next point on that absolute risk free is impossible nothing can be absolute risk free, money under the mattress devalues, money in a bank what if the bank goes bust? wars government political/legal changes etc etc. However if a potential landlord buys the property outright no loan amount at all and takes out the relevant insurance their risk is incredibably low. If I take out a 95% loan and get bad tenants without taking out the right insurance and property prices fall 10% I am in for a lot of hurt. If I take out a 5% loan and have proper insurance then property prices fall I am in a much safer low risk scenario.

it is possible to be a landlord with very low risk, if a landlord or potential landlord decides to overleverage and absorb a lot of risk I have little sympathy if it blows up in their face.

Now in regards to your assesment that people failing to understand money lending is the biggest cause of antisemticsm, here is the thing I have an issue with money lending in its current format I am not antisemetic. If we decide the system is unfair do we need to allocate blame? if so why an entire ethnic group? I hear that a few rich families who happen to be ethnically Jewish are heavily involved with the banking system. So if we rightly or wrongly decide that we believe those individuals are to blame and are bad people, then why does that have to relate to the 10s of millions of Jews around the world?

• Options
    Doubleme said:

Essexphil said:

I think your missing a few things firstly I do understand compounding interest it was kind of my point, and I am not saying that someone should be able to borrow money without any cost. However there is a strong difference between a loan from one individual to another individual where the first individual has to have the capital to loan and the situation where banks can literally make money up on the spot.

It would be reasonable for the first individual to charge interest or a fee for the loan as they are without the capital for a period and the chance of been paid back in full is not 100%.

It is however a completely different scenario when banks are allowed to make up money on the spot and are not required to have the capital to begin with.

If I had a credit card in which I paid off with a second credit card and you asked me how I was going to pay that second credit card off and I said with a third credit card etc etc going through multiple credit cards with new credit cards added regularly you would likely tell me that I was going to go bankrupt I assume? or you might try to be awkward and say it depends on how much the debt is and how much money I earn?

Fine but then with money constantly been made up and debt compounding the repayment is growing at an exponential growth, and the interest on the payment is only ever payable with created debt, hence as the debt compounds more money needs to be created leading to runaway inflation.

In an economy where we have constant debt been created and all that can be used to pay of a loan is debt we a situation which is unstable where a few people end up owning everything.

in regards to me believing that been a landlord is a risk free occupation few points to that. Firstly I do not believe it fair to call it an occupation, we have met our landlord once only and that was when they came to view the property to buy it from the previous landlord who we never met. When there is a problem with the property we contact the letting agency who I believe contacts the landlord, who then simply has to spend five minutes responding to an email or answering a phone call. It would be one thing if when the hot water went the landlord was over here to check the problem out himself. you might argue that the landlord has multiple properties so answering the emails is a full time job in which case wow on the been allocated fictional money. If I came into a few million by whatever means we imagine and just simply invested the money into a portfolio of diversified dividend stocks and then never worked a day in my life, and maybe checked on the stocks 3 or 4 times a year for half an hour at a time would you say my occupation was investor? I guess if yes then we can call landlord an occupation.

Next point on that absolute risk free is impossible nothing can be absolute risk free, money under the mattress devalues, money in a bank what if the bank goes bust? wars government political/legal changes etc etc. However if a potential landlord buys the property outright no loan amount at all and takes out the relevant insurance their risk is incredibably low. If I take out a 95% loan and get bad tenants without taking out the right insurance and property prices fall 10% I am in for a lot of hurt. If I take out a 5% loan and have proper insurance then property prices fall I am in a much safer low risk scenario.

it is possible to be a landlord with very low risk, if a landlord or potential landlord decides to overleverage and absorb a lot of risk I have little sympathy if it blows up in their face.

Now in regards to your assesment that people failing to understand money lending is the biggest cause of antisemticsm, here is the thing I have an issue with money lending in its current format I am not antisemetic. If we decide the system is unfair do we need to allocate blame? if so why an entire ethnic group? I hear that a few rich families who happen to be ethnically Jewish are heavily involved with the banking system. So if we rightly or wrongly decide that we believe those individuals are to blame and are bad people, then why does that have to relate to the 10s of millions of Jews around the world?

I said that it was historically the biggest cause of antisemitism. As an example, Edward ! had fairly similar views to you in relation to moneylenders:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edict_of_Expulsion

Landlords? A minority are great. A minority are awful. Most are in the middle. Much like Tenants. They don't deserve to be attacked as a group.

Much like Tenants. Or, for that matter, any and every racial or ethnic group.

• Options
    Tennents. The favourite drink of the homeless.
  • Options
    edited May 2
    Essexphil said:

The Bible says no such thing. The actual text states:-

"Love of money is the root of all evil"

A very different thing.
    Exactly the point I was trying to make but with my limited capacity for communication I fell somewhat short of my much learned colleague. Thanks Phil.
  • Options
    @Essexphil
    I only atted you to avoid quote trees

anyway yes money lending has historically been something that has been a cause or excuse for antisemticism. I do not dispute that, but that does not in any way validate or invalidate arguments for or against money lending be them moral practical economic or otherwise.

I do not have a problem with the idea of lending money for a profit what I take issue with is a system where by people can make up money on the spot in such a way that is unsustainable and greatly in favour of the already wealthy to the extreme detriment of those less well off or in poverty.

I do not blame any ethnic group for that system and do not think any ethnic group should be.

In regards to landlords it is impossible to say how many landlords are reasonable and fair and how many are mass exploitative scum. I am not disparaging landlords as a group, in the right circumstances I may even become a landlord, again it's resenting an unfair system.

I do resent some comments I have seen online from landlords, when they complain that they cannot have risk free investments when they overleverage.

also when I read comments on landlord forums saying if your in the supermarket and cant afford the food you leave it in the trolley and leave comparing this to renting a property.

To be clear I am fortunate enough that is highly unlikely to ever be relevant to me,
    However if I somehow did find myself in the scenario where I was due to be homeless and could not pay the rent or for food, I would steal and not vacate until dragged out. I would expect no less from anyone else, implying that people should just passively accept an unfair system when they literally ruined by it and just starve to death on the streets is morally repugnant to me.