You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Comments

• Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,806
    I never quite got this one, so if I take an extreme example say my partner does not work at all for whatever reason and I earn over 100k a year does that mean I could use this to pay £1250 less tax that year?

I mean I wish I earned 100k a year obviously fictional scenario, just trying to get the concept.

or does it simply mean that the first £1250 of the money I earn over the threshold wont be taxed? because that is an entirely different scenario.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,165
    Doubleme said:

I never quite got this one, so if I take an extreme example say my partner does not work at all for whatever reason and I earn over 100k a year does that mean I could use this to pay £1250 less tax that year?

I mean I wish I earned 100k a year obviously fictional scenario, just trying to get the concept.

or does it simply mean that the first £1250 of the money I earn over the threshold wont be taxed? because that is an entirely different scenario.

Your personal tax allowance is the amount you can earn tax-free each tax year
    For most people the personal allowance is £12,570 - this is the basic income tax threshold
    The amount it could save you is £252.

It is not brain surgery.
    If your wife doesnt work, or earns less than the personal allowance.
    You can transfer £1260 of her allowance to you.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,436
    In my household Marriage Allowance means that once a year I am allowed to express an opinion. Only once mind.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,636
    I get one day per year where I can do as I like........Fathers Day.!
  • Options

In my household Marriage Allowance means that once a year I am allowed to express an opinion. Only once mind.

You seem full of the joys of Spring today.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

For most people the personal allowance is £12,570 - this is the basic income tax threshold

It is not brain surgery.
    yeah I thought so it just seemed like it could not be right. I mean a a big deal made out of saving £252 a year which I don't mean to dismiss as nothing but thats like less then £5 a week so i just thought I had to be missing something.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

It is not brain surgery.
    yeah I thought so it just seemed like it could not be right. I mean a a big deal made out of saving £252 a year which I don't mean to dismiss as nothing but thats like less then £5 a week so i just thought I had to be missing something.
    That was what it clearly said in the article.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

It is not brain surgery.
    You have a regular moan about the tv licence.
    Well it would cover that, in addition to say a Prime membership.
    If you have suddenly become affluent, you could always give it to charity.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,329
    Doubleme said:

It's NOT available if you are a higher rate tax payer, but if you are a basic rate taxpayer it can be backdated to 2020 if applicable. so can be worth about £1,000 to someone who is eligible and can backdate it, then £252 per annum going forward.
  • Options
    Enut said:

Doubleme said:

It's NOT available if you are a higher rate tax payer, but if you are a basic rate taxpayer it can be backdated to 2020 if applicable. so can be worth about £1,000 to someone who is eligible and can backdate it, then £252 per annum going forward.
    He didnt want it anyway.
    I was happy to take it, and got it backdated.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,793
    edited May 6
    HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

Doubleme said:

He didnt want it anyway.
    I hope you gave Mrs @HAYSIE half of it. She has earned it.

• Options
    edited May 6
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

Doubleme said:

He didnt want it anyway.

Dont start me off.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

Doubleme said:

He didnt want it anyway.

Dont start me off.
    She was having a rant the other day, and finished it off with, "I dont know how I have put up with you for so long".
    So I said "nor me"
    It is clearly a miracle.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

It is not brain surgery.
    £5 a week adds up to a loath of bread a bottle of milk and thats it you cant get butter with that too.

I am not affluent lol just £5 is not much.

there are many things I would rather give money to then the BBC, In fact I would rather just dispose of the money then give it to an antisemetic pro podophile corporation.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

It is not brain surgery.
    £5 a week adds up to a loath of bread a bottle of milk and thats it you cant get butter with that too.

there are many things I would rather give money to then the BBC, In fact I would rather just dispose of the money then give it to an antisemetic pro podophile corporation.
    Are they a new thing, podophiles?
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

It is not brain surgery.

You regularly completely miss the point.
    The thing about this is that you can either claim it, or you cant.
    If you can it would be foolish not to.
    If you cant, you dont have to worry about it.
    It has been worth a grand so far to me, and it is continuing.
    Therefore a little more than a loaf of bread and a pint of milk.
    Who on earth wants to pay more tax than they have to.
    I will try to look up podophiles.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

It is not brain surgery.

you know that was a mistype and meant to be paedophiles, but whatever you have to try and nitpick because you cant honestly defend the BBC.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

It is not brain surgery.

you know that was a mistype and meant to be paedophiles, but whatever you have to try and nitpick because you cant honestly defend the BBC.
    Why on earth would I be defending the BBC on this thread.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

It is not brain surgery.

So do you qualify for it?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

It is not brain surgery.

So do you qualify for it?
    I am not married so i assume not, If I marry my girlfriend then I may qualify for it. I do not think this would make much impact on that decision.