You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky removing Paypal facility for Deposits/Withdrawals

ACEGOONERACEGOONER Member Posts: 1,432
edited June 27 in Poker Chat
I have seen a note on my account saying that sky will be removing Paypal as an option for deposits for the site?

Any reason for this? For me using paypal allows me not to put a large amount of money on sky, play the stakes I want to and withdraw or deposit as and when necessary. These transactions don't show where the funds have gone affording a level of privacy with my bank.

This forces players to leave larger amounts on the site, if they don't want a catalogue of deposits and withdrawals that will make them look like raging gamblers to their bank who really will not understand if a player is a winning or losing player. More importantly leaving a black mark if you try to apply for any credit.

The only way around this is to set up a new bank account, to use it exclusively for Poker. The problem is if you apply for a mortgage or any other large line of credit they want to see your bank account transactions for the last 3 months. Have Sky actually thought this through? And given Sky is now in a stable of companies owned by Flutter entertainment is this a decision that affects every other gaming company owned by Flutter?

The Sky proposition has really deteriorated over the last 10 years. There used to be dedicated account managers for making priority with lots of additional promotional offers, to Customer Service today who lets face it some of whom know less about Sky Poker's promotions than the player base do. You can't even do a P/L including RB from the current software easily, unless you ask CS. Because it is now treated as a "data request", Sky now say it takes up to 30 days to supply information, that was forthcoming from CS in 30 minutes last year.

Comments

• DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,746
    edited June 27
    I've always used PayPal for Sky and have the same message. Could someone from Sky please confirm if we'll still able to make withdrawals to PayPal after July 15th, as opposed to just restricting deposits by that method?

PayPal has always been my payment option of choice on Pokerstars too but it's no longer an option there either, so I assume it's the same across the whole Flutter group?
  • ACEGOONERACEGOONER Member Posts: 1,432

I've always used PayPal for Sky and have the same message. Could someone from Sky please confirm if we'll still able to make withdrawals to PayPal after July 15th, as opposed to just restricting deposits by that method?

PayPal has always been my payment option of choice on Pokerstars too but it's no longer an option there either, so I assume it's the same across the whole Flutter group?

Dues, the funds will need to be repatriated to the same source it came from. So you won't be in a position to deposit and withdraw it to paypal. Whilst its free for us to use, I wonder how much Sky Bet pay in transactions fees.
    Thin brag I know, but I haven't made a deposit to Sky for about 6 years, so I was wondering if PayPal will remain as a withdrawal option given that was where my last deposit came from and I have no wish/need to deposit via another method.

It might just be a regulatory issue more than anything - source of funds checks and increased money laundering risks etc.

Thin brag I know, but I haven't made a deposit to Sky for about 6 years, so I was wondering if PayPal will remain as a withdrawal option given that was where my last deposit came from and I have no wish/need to deposit via another method.

It might just be a regulatory issue more than anything - source of funds checks and increased money laundering risks etc.

It is 100% a regulatory thing, source of funds is a thing for gaming companies these days, and its supposed to prevent Money Laundering.

Thin brag Dues (try 13 years if I follow your approach ;) but also like many other regs a totally fishy thing to do leave any balance on the site earning zero interest, and the potential investment returns of the stock market if you really like to get max value for your money. Let compounding be your friend!

I know one reg who plays micro stakes that has £10k on the site, an utterly insane balance to have.

Going back to my point, its poor by Sky to take this facility away without offering another wallet option. It's none of my banks business what I do with my cash if I am putting more money into my account through poker than taking out.

If you don't have it, Revolut my be a decent option for you moving forward if you're wanting to keep gambling transactions out of sight from your main bank account. I've used it for while now and would happily recommend.

I don't keep heaps on sites, but I did generally increase the amount I hold in poker accounts when deposit restrictions tightened. I'm happy to sacrifice a fairly negligible bit of interest in return for making sure I don't shoot myself in the foot by telling some poor customer service rep to mind their own f**king business when the computer tells them to run an affordability check on me before I can load up my account again :D
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 578

I know one reg who plays micro stakes that has £10k on the site, an utterly insane balance to have.

Hi! I wish it was £10k after a bad week but there are some valid reasons (playing higher stakes, KYC is a pain, avoiding gambling transactions on bank statements, mental game impact of playing underrolled, etc).

I hadn't clocked PayPal is an option. The only times I use PayPal, the vendor name appears on my statement. Can you link credit cards to PayPal to then make a deposit? That might be a reason to remove the option.

On your point about a P&L, I do that in Excel.
    Bean81 said:

Hi! I wish it was £10k after a bad week but there are some valid reasons (playing higher stakes, KYC is a pain, avoiding gambling transactions on bank statements, mental game impact of playing underrolled, etc).

I hadn't clocked PayPal is an option. The only times I use PayPal, the vendor name appears on my statement. Can you link credit cards to PayPal to then make a deposit? That might be a reason to remove the option.

On your point about a P&L, I do that in Excel.

KYC isn't an issue once you have been verified by any gambling company. The mental game stuff. If you have a £10k BR and its sat in your bank earning what these days is not an insignificant rate of interest it should never be an problem.

And if you are playing poker, that suggests you like taking risks. So investing in stocks would already have given you a 15% return tracking the S&P 500, and over 200% if you put your money into an AI stock like NVIDIA. As opposed to zero on the Sky platform.

The P/L stuff, yep perish the thought that a platform like Sky's can't offer you a simple way of accessing the data over a specific period. A few years ago you could cut and paste the info onto a spreadsheet. With the upgrades, you can't do that anymore so rely on CS if you make lots of small withdrawals and deposits when necessary.

For Paypal, you can link Debit and Credit Cards, but it would never work trying to deposit from a Credit Card, the system would reject any attempted payments, I have always used my Debit Card.

You wern't around 10 years ago Bean, but the proposition was very player orientated if you made 10k poker points. There was dedicated support and lots of incentives to grind hard, including monthly freerolls and exclusive promos. There is no incentive to get 10k these days, despite raking Sky thousands every month there is no recognition of this and the CS standards have gone significantly south. Players literally are a number regardless of how much time they dedicate.

• radzer02radzer02 Member Posts: 141
    Yet another reason it's the worst online option
  • KadoomKadoom Member Posts: 121
    Acegooner and bean81 very impressive stats, the kind i aspire to. any tips to improve my game would be most welcome, Sky aint perfect but its like that old pillow you refuse to bin
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 578
    edited July 1
    @Kadoom, the basics of building a foundational winrate remain the same:

- Learn a solid preflop strategy from freely available charts
    --Make sure you understand pot odds, implied odds and equity
    - Don't get tricky with your value hands
    - Recognise the difference between absolute and relative hand strength
    - Table select and play during times when people are drunk
    - Bet size usually equals hand strength
    - Treat postflop raises as nearly always big hands against all but the biggest maniacs.
    - Fold more rivers, espcially when you bet and face a raise.

Good luck!

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,519
    Bean81 said:

- Treat postflop raises as nearly always big hands against all but the biggest maniacs.

Good luck!

Sound advice there.

The only thing I would add is this.

You should be able to work out who is the tightest, and who is the loosest, player at your table. If you cannot, then you are playing too many tables.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    Essexphil said:

Bean81 said:

Good luck!

Sound advice there.

The only thing I would add is this.

You should be able to work out who is the tightest, and who is the loosest, player at your table. If you cannot, then you are playing too many tables.
    I can't do that playing one table :neutral:
  • KadoomKadoom Member Posts: 121
    Thank you for the advice, and for all the people who think its rigged have a dram n smile
  • chkngeorgechkngeorge Member Posts: 67

If you don't have it, Revolut my be a decent option for you moving forward if you're wanting to keep gambling transactions out of sight from your main bank account. I've used it for while now and would happily recommend.

I don't keep heaps on sites, but I did generally increase the amount I hold in poker accounts when deposit restrictions tightened. I'm happy to sacrifice a fairly negligible bit of interest in return for making sure I don't shoot myself in the foot by telling some poor customer service rep to mind their own f**king business when the computer tells them to run an affordability check on me before I can load up my account again :D

Is it easy enough to deposit to sky via Revolut? Do you have to order a Revolut card? I have some of the same concerns as above but had always just used PayPal. I prefer to keep balances online small but will probably keep a bit more going forward due to this change.

Is it easy enough to deposit to sky via Revolut? Do you have to order a Revolut card? I have some of the same concerns as above but had always just used PayPal. I prefer to keep balances online small but will probably keep a bit more going forward due to this change.
    I've not used it specifically for depositing on Sky, but you get a virtual debit card with Revolut which can be used like any normal physical bank card for online payments (fee free as far as I know). You can order a physical card from them too if you wish.
  • The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,814
    To note with Revolut if you have a friend get them to invite you, order a card and make 3 purchases worth £5 (i just did general shopping). Theyll get £50 for it and can discuss how u manage it from there.

And if u dont have any friends i like money and will split 50/50 ;)