You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

on the button JJ's

BULLBULL Member Posts: 55
edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
can u help!! i was on the button with JJ's and the blind's were 5k - 10k 1.6 ante.i thought ill shove all in as veryone folded round to me , only sb bb left in . so i shove ! thinkin they will fold . but no the sb calls my all in the BB folds . guess the outcome! he has rag A3 off siute flop brings 9,Q,A,  the turn . 4. then this the best bit a flippin 3 unreal i shout out to myself, then he has the cheek to say i was a DONK!!!! for goin all in , Can anyone help me see what went Wrong? many thx .

Comments

• Options
    Spike2120Spike2120 Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2010
    Hi Bull, from what you have put all I can say is that you did nothing wrong, you got your money in good with a very good starting hand, I had a similar situation on a cash table on here where I had JJ on the button, raised it up got, re-raised so I pushed and was racing AK and I think you can guess the A came lol on the turn.

The problem with JJ is that is a good starting hand but in most cases hands that will call a raise or an all in will have an overcard to your pair. Also a button shove is counted as slightly weaker than a normal shove as the button play is always in the back of most poker players mind.

One way I have been thinking of playing JJ especially in position is to not go all in pre flop but raise it up pre, if you get re-raised just flat call knowing you can place them on a good starting hand see a flop if it looks like a safe flop play it aggressively try and take it down before they hit their over card. If it is a dangerous flop then you can get away to find a better spot. However if you were short stacked as you never said what you stack was if it was short then its an obvious shove.

One thing is for sure and that is you were certainly not a donk for going all in with JJ at worst you looking like being in a race if your up against an overpair then thats just unlucky and obviously a coin flip your around 50/50 to win a race actually you were slight favourite pre.

Hope this helps

Spike2120
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: on the button JJ's:
    Hi Bull, from what you have put all I can say is that you did nothing wrong, you got your money in good with a very good starting hand, I had a similar situation on a cash table on here where I had JJ on the button, raised it up got, re-raised so I pushed and was racing AK and I think you can guess the A came lol on the turn. The problem with JJ is that is a good starting hand but in most cases hands that will call a raise or an all in will have an overcard to your pair. Also a button shove is counted as slightly weaker than a normal shove as the button play is always in the back of most poker players mind. One way I have been thinking of playing JJ especially in position is to not go all in pre flop but raise it up pre, if you get re-raised just flat call knowing you can place them on a good starting hand see a flop if it looks like a safe flop play it aggressively try and take it down before they hit their over card. If it is a dangerous flop then you can get away to find a better spot. However if you were short stacked as you never said what you stack was if it was short then its an obvious shove. One thing is for sure and that is you were certainly not a donk for going all in with JJ at worst you looking like being in a race if your up against an overpair then thats just unlucky and obviously a coin flip your around 50/50 to win a race actually you were slight favourite pre. Hope this helps Spike2120
    Posted by Spike2120
    thx for that spike i new in some way i was in front but when i seen the A i thought o well i got munched lol but yes i agree the race was on but i seem to think that A RAG "A" aint to good callin hand when someone pushes all in like i did . but many thx for ur reply . my mind is at rest ;D
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited April 2010
    In Response to on the button JJ's:
    can u help!! i was on the button with JJ's and the blind's were 5k - 10k 1.6 ante.i thought ill shove all in as veryone folded round to me , only sb bb left in . so i shove ! thinkin they will fold . but no the sb calls my all in the BB folds . guess the outcome! he has rag A3 off siute flop brings 9,Q,A,  the turn . 4. then this the best bit a flippin 3 unreal i shout out to myself, then he has the cheek to say i was a DONK!!!! for goin all in , Can anyone help me see what went Wrong? many thx .
    Posted by BULL
    You got unlucky...
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited April 2010
    Hi BULL

I think Spike sums it up, as it turns out you wernt far short of being a 71% fav in the hand
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: on the button JJ's:
    Hi BULL I think Spike sums it up, as it turns out you wernt far short of being a 71% fav in the hand
    Posted by acebarry10
    cheers all ;)