You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Nuts and Bolts Bankroll Question

TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
This is based on a discussion that happened years ago on the now defunct 'Poker Night Live' and has just popped into my head again.

You're playing a 6 max £1/£2 table and have bought in for the maximum.  £200 is towards the upper end of your self imposed bankroll percentage but still within it (I do not wish to start a discussion on what percentage this should be, that's been covered in many other discussions.  Let's just say you have very good bankroll management).

You've run like a dream and have run your stack up to £1000.  It's a great table and you're playing at the top of your game.  Then another player sits down (you've never played with them before) and doubles his £200 off of one of the players you've been milking.  Your effective stack at the table is now £400 and this is over your bankroll percentage.

Should you stand immediately and leave a table with three or four weak and willing players or should you play outside your limit with the one unknown player?  Does it matter that it's a six max?

Comments

• Options
    barnsiebarnsie Member Posts: 496
    edited April 2010
    simple

if the table is weak and willing as you put it stay until they leave go bust

these days its rather unusual to find more than 2 players like this at 1-2 table imo

if you dont take a slight risk in this situation you will never progress
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Nuts and Bolts Bankroll Question:
    simple if the table is weak and willing as you put it stay until they leave go bust these days its rather unusual to find more than 2 players like this at 1-2 table imo if you dont take a slight risk in this situation you will never progress
    Posted by barnsie
    Thanks for the reply.

Taking calculated risks in a hand I agree with, but should you ever risk a higher amount of your bankroll than you either are comfortable with or from your self imposed bankroll limits?  You may try and avoid the bigger stack but poker doesn't always let you do that.

Say you decide to stay, you have pocket Kings and four bet the bigger stacks three bet from £20 to £80.  The big stack now shoves all of the £400 over the line.  Is your decision to call affected by the fact you are now effectively playing over your bankroll limit?
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2010
    IMO a very strange question from someone already so experienced? dav
  • Options
    freechips1freechips1 Member Posts: 861
    edited April 2010
    i asume your using the 5% bankroll rule, some may disagree with me now.
    lets say you bought in for 200 and at the start of the night you roll was £4500 i think you should stand with your 1k, its such a massive % of your roll.  all i need to do now is listen to my own advice, LMAO.
    ask yourself this, with a 4.5k roll how would you feal if you lost a 2k pot? not good, im sure, i know i have done it and had to have a few days away from poker to get my head together.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    IMO a very strange question from someone already so experienced? dav
    Posted by dav1964
    Not sure what's so strange about it but I will rephrase it a little then.

Essentially I'm asking if you should consider stacks on a cash table to be actively part of your bankroll and part of your bankroll management rules or if you just consider your original buy in and any reloads to be part of your bankroll management.  Just a little BR discussion, sadly not very exciting by hey :)
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited April 2010
    Rightly or wrongly, my decision would factor in the amount of money at stake, not just bb`s, ie, if I was using the 5% rule at nl20 and had worked my stack up to £100, I would happily stay.  In the situation you describe of nl200, I would be very tempted to leave.
    This may be influenced I suppose by the fact that I have never been an nl200 reg or been rolled for it, but a grand is a grand in my eyes
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Nuts and Bolts Bankroll Question:
    This is based on a discussion that happened years ago on the now defunct 'Poker Night Live' and has just popped into my head again. You're playing a 6 max £1/£2 table and have bought in for the maximum.  £200 is towards the upper end of your self imposed bankroll percentage but still within it (I do not wish to start a discussion on what percentage this should be, that's been covered in many other discussions.  Let's just say you have very good bankroll management). You've run like a dream and have run your stack up to £1000.  It's a great table and you're playing at the top of your game.  Then another player sits down (you've never played with them before) and doubles his £200 off of one of the players you've been milking.  Your effective stack at the table is now £400 and this is over your bankroll percentage. Should you stand immediately and leave a table with three or four weak and willing players or should you play outside your limit with the one unknown player?  Does it matter that it's a six max?
    Posted by TommyD
    Are you able to stand up and leave the table and then sit down again with the standard BI or does the software automatically bring your current stack back to the table?

I have considered doing this a couple of times recently when I have been up 3 or 4 BIs in an hour or so but I have not sctually tried it.
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Nuts and Bolts Bankroll Question : Are you able to stand up and leave the table and then sit down again with the standard BI or does the software automatically bring your current stack back to the table? I have considered doing this a couple of times recently when I have been up 3 or 4 BIs in an hour or so but I have not sctually tried it.
    Posted by Seagull158
    There will be a time limit before you can sit with the Standard buy in. At the begining there was not one but it was later introduced. So if you leave with a Garand you have to return to the same table with the same amount i'm afraid
  • Options
    DeuceAK_47DeuceAK_47 Member Posts: 381
    edited April 2010

Effective stacks are only £400 so i doubt i would be looking to leave especially as sometimes there are only 3 200nl games going so if you doubled up on all three you would not be able to play any poker at that level.

Questions i ask myself in this situation are:

How good is the player(s) we are deep with?
    How good is the rest of the table?
    Do i adjust my game correctly when playing 200bb stacks?
    Is the amount of money on the table going to affect my game?

Also in this situation i think the unknown player who just doubled up is likely going to scared of going from being up £200 to being down £200. (So we should be able to bully him of good hands eg tptk)