You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Micro cash advice please

Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
edited April 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I've been playing mainly 2p4p and some 4p8p for 2 or 3 weeks to get some cash play experience. On the 2p4p tables I've played a total of 3681 hands over 36 sessions. I've made a profit on 27 of those sessions and I'm averaging 45.14 bb profit per 100 hands. However, when I play 4p8p things are not so rosy; Only 5 winning sessions out of 13. A total of 1564 hands played and an average loss of -73bb per 100 hands!! Now I have to add, in my defence, that I have twice been stacked for 1.5 BIs on the 4p8p tables, those 2 hands represent 50% of my total losses and I went in well ahead in both cases (AA vs A2 in one case).
Can anyone explain why I am getting such a big difference between the 2 levels? Is the play quite different? i would say that I am playing loosish and fairly aggressive and I am not bluffing (well, hardly ever). When I say loosish I mean that I am playing some suited and, occasionally, unsuited connectors and gap connectors and the occasional raggy ace but I am laying them down unless I hit or I am drawing and its cheap.
Hope this all makes sense.

Comments

• Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Micro cash advice please:
    I've been playing mainly 2p4p and some 4p8p for 2 or 3 weeks to get some cash play experience. On the 2p4p tables I've played a total of 3681 hands over 36 sessions. I've made a profit on 27 of those sessions and I'm averaging 45.14 bb profit per 100 hands. However, when I play 4p8p things are not so rosy; Only 5 winning sessions out of 13. A total of 1564 hands played and an average loss of -73bb per 100 hands!! Now I have to add, in my defence, that I have twice been stacked for 1.5 BIs on the 4p8p tables, those 2 hands represent 50% of my total losses and I went in well ahead in both cases (AA vs A2 in one case). Can anyone explain why I am getting such a big difference between the 2 levels? Is the play quite different? i would say that I am playing loosish and fairly aggressive and I am not bluffing (well, hardly ever). When I say loosish I mean that I am playing some suited and, occasionally, unsuited connectors and gap connectors and the occasional raggy ace but I am laying them down unless I hit or I am drawing and its cheap. Hope this all makes sense.
    Posted by Seagull158
    Hi Seagull,

If as you say you are playing a "loosish" game, you should realise that, at that level, you will get people calling you "light", then your raises will not be respected.

If i were to give you any advice, it would be to play a little tighter and not play raggy aces, unless you get in free, you also need to look at a lot more sessions to get a good picture of how your doing.

If your doing a lot better at 2/4p stay there for a while and remember the value of position.

gl
    col
  • Options
    robcrobc Member Posts: 521
    edited April 2010
    hiya mate

Ive played you on the 4-8p tables and tbh i didnt see a problem that day with how you was playing, (apart from when you stacked me with a higher flush) 

if i was you just play as you do on the 2-4p tables if your doing well on them i dont see much difference on the two apart from maybe a few more people who no the basics like position etc...then again i havn't played much 2-4p lol. 

Im fairly new to the cash game aswell so if you want to go through some hands or anything jus pm me.
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited April 2010
    youve played a ridiculously small number of 4/8 hands. You can draw almost no conclusion from it. Theres been loads of times where ive played that many hands in a day and lost the same amount of buyins you have but its just variance. You need to play a ton more hands, like 20k, before you can even get an idea of if youre a winner or not.

The higher you move up the levels you'd be looking at playing 100k+ hands to get a decent idea of your winrate. Dont play 100k+ hands of microstakes though unless you want to feel suicidal. BTW i can pretty much guarantee theres little to no difference between 2p/4p and 4p/8p. all it takes is a good grasp of the basics. Dont play loose. The smaller the stakes, the tighter you should play.
  • Options
    Patching99Patching99 Member Posts: 446
    edited April 2010
    Hi mate,

I've seen you about the 4NL and fwiw my note on you says "solid at 4NL".  From what your saying above your making a much better return than I am. 

Im no expert but what offshoot said is right, if two hands represent 50% of your total loss at any level then you havent played enough hands to carry out a useful analysis.

My advice would be to keep going at that level and only drop back down if your are continually losing BI's.

I've not tried NL8 yet but intend to move up as soon as I have cracked NL4.

GL and let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    pr1nnyraidpr1nnyraid Member Posts: 495
    edited April 2010
    how do u get such acurate numbers from, hands played and winrate/100 etc....????????
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited April 2010
    Play zillions more hands and see how you get on, id say use a 30BI rule... play 4nl until you have £240 and then play 8nl... drop down if you go below £200 and work it back up. 5BI shots.
  • Options
    pryce6pryce6 Member Posts: 1,058
    edited April 2010
    you don't need 240 to play 4nl. Sounds like you are more than good enough for it, play a while longer and get on a good run then move up to 8nl.
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited April 2010
    I`m not sure about the skill difference between nl4 and nl8, as I dont think Ive ever played nl8, but there is definitely a difference between nl4 and nl10, so I suppose its possible that their is a skill difference.  Like offshoot said, your sample sizes are far to small.
    Someone else mentioned, how you got such accurate stats on your winrate etc........well.....?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I found a massive different between 4nl and 8nl... strange.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    or grind up to £240 just to prove to yourself that you are actually a winning player over a large number of hands before considering moving up...
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Its very useful, particularly the advice that the volume of hands I have played at 4p8p is much, much too few to draw any conclusion. I've been offline for the last 2 days trying to get back from Sweden! After 36 hours of driving and sitting on ferries i am back but not ready to hit the tables quite yet. I need a lie down!!!!
    So, how do I get my accurate stats? At the end of each session of play I record on a spreadsheet how many hours I have played (to the nearest 15 minutes), how much I have won or lost, and I count the number of hands I have played in the hand history (15 hands per page is a good way to count quickly), so its all manual and no magic bullet I'm afraid.
  • Options
    robcrobc Member Posts: 521
    edited April 2010
    i find 8nl easier than 4nl....think im just weird lol