You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sky Dave asks "What Would You Do?"

Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
edited April 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Morning all,

Following on from a hand I posted in the Omaha section of the forum, I thought I'd try put another one together for the hold'em players, and it's the heads-up players amongst you who will enjoy this one the most.

We're playing 25p/50p heads-up and the session has been underway for around 50 hands. We've three-bet preflop 4 times, mainly with our decent hands, one of which (AQs) got to a winning showdown on a xxxQx board. The last time I three-bet I was also in the big blind, but that time he folded preflop.

Our opponent so far has been playing pretty snug. He's three bet us a couple of times so isn't without aggression but is perhaps a little on the tight side. Hard to be sure though considering we've only been sat with him for 50 hands or so.

To the hand in question. We're in the big blind and find the lovely sight of pocket aces...

As in the Omaha thread, aggressive actions are in red, our actions have been bolded.

Hero (BB) (£58.90)
SB (£66.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with As - Ah
SB bets £1.50, Hero raises to £5.50, SB calls £4

Flop: (Pot: £11) 2d - Tc - Qd
Hero bets £8.50, SB calls £8.50

Turn: (Pot: £28) [2d- Tc - Qd] 2h

It's us to go. Our questions are as follows:

1) Do we bet here or go for a check-raise?
2) If we bet and get raised, what do we do there?
3) If we bet here, how much should we make it considering our stack sizes?
4) Are we ever folding this hand?

Fire away!
Sky Dave

Comments

• Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited April 2010

My answers would be:

(1) We bet here in case guys flushing and we don't want a check behind to give him a free card.
    (2) Shove all in.
    (3) I'd bet £18 - £20 to leave £25ish back so it shows opponent I'm not going away.
    (4) No

• Options
    Action_DanAction_Dan Member Posts: 341
    edited April 2010
    We're looking to get three streets of value as board pairing shouldn't scare us but we still need need to charge potential drawing hands so I'm betting around £20-£24! We believe them to be quite tight so I'd expect them to check behind for pot control/free card so it's not something I want to try against this opponent - if they're Tom Dwan, yeah go for check raise but as we're sitting opposite Tikay clone, we should be betting our own hand! I'm willing to stack off here...
  • Options
    Donut64Donut64 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited April 2010
    I must admit if I was on the table I would put them on A 10 of diamonds and push hard! But having much longer to think about it here looking at the betting I cant rule out a pocket pair making 3 of a kind!
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Sky Dave asks "What Would You Do?":
    I must admit if I was on the table I would put them on A 10 of diamonds and push hard! But having much longer to think about it here looking at the betting I cant rule out a pocket pair making 3 of a kind!
    Posted by Donut64
    woah woah woah... be careful not to do this, think more of a range of possible hands and not specific hands. IMO he could still have ATC as he could be floating this flop with air. I would bet and try and get 3 streets of value, i would bet about 3/4 pot, why would we consider folding, no reason to think we are beat!!
  • Options
    SHANXTASHANXTA Member Posts: 1,507
    edited April 2010
    who voted for check-fold??!!
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited April 2010
    Bet all day long
  • Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited April 2010
    Hi Dave,
    I would bet out and i would bet a decent amount £15 to pot size, any less and you would e pricing him in, if he is on a flush draw. If we are raised then in it goes. If we are behind then so be it.
    If the SB has a big hand preflop, and is tightish then i would expect them to re-raise and not just call. On the flop, even if they have hit a set, again i would expect this type of player to raise, to protect against the flush of straight.
    To say that we can never fold this hand is daft, its is situational, at this stage probably not, but if the board doubles up, and i dont count the double 2 as that does not come within the range i put them on, or the flush does come in, then yes you can fold AA.

Finally, we need to think about their hand range. Given your brief and the fact that they make it 3 times the BB preflop, i would guess at AK AQ AJ A10, and any pair from 9s up.
    If it were me and you had been at it a few times by re raising on your BB and i had a big pair JJ QQ KK AA then i would bet at least the pot(preflop).

This might come across as gibberish, but hey ho, there goes £58 lol

col
  • Options
    Action_DanAction_Dan Member Posts: 341
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Sky Dave asks "What Would You Do?":
    who voted for check-fold??!!
    Posted by SHANXTA
    TIKAY! He's known for only playing AA (sometimes KK if he's on the Horlicks) but he's always looking for ways to avoid aggro so with three under cards, two straightening cards, two flushing cards and paired board, he's got more than enough reason to think he's going to be outdrawn, if not already behind...check-fold seems the logical move!