You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Art of C-Betting

ExLeper78ExLeper78 Member Posts: 42
edited April 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I bet 3xBB with A-K or A-Q and completely miss the flop. It's checked to me. Should I always c-bet?

Comments

• Options
    Action_DanAction_Dan Member Posts: 341
    edited April 2010
    In general you should bet in that spot! There's factors that can affect this decision (board texture, what have they done previously after checking to raiser etc) but opponent misses the flop 2/3 times so there's some easy chips to be had...you're often ahead there and as you've shown aggression pre flop, you should follow that up on later streets! If you check behind and then they bet the turn, they could be picking up on your weakness on the flop so making you fold the better hand! What you need to remember is what you do when you've got AA>JJ in that spot...if you're betting the flop when checked to you with those hands, just checking the flop when you don't have them would be picked up on by better players and make you easier to play against so if you're doing it for no other reason, C-Bet to help disguise your bigger hands!

There are times when I've checked behind with AK type hands because it's smelt dodgy (quick check) so instincts say they're trapping or I just wanted to control pot size against unknown player but more often than not, I like to ask the question (whether cash or tournament) and as I said, invariably you're still ahead on the flop and if you aren't, you can still force out their marginal hands by continuing to bet!

(I've got half an eye on Champions League so apologies if my point doesn't come across)
  • Options
    WHOAMI196WHOAMI196 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited April 2010
    In Response to The Art of C-Betting:
    I bet 3xBB with A-K or A-Q and completely miss the flop. It's checked to me. Should I always c-bet?
    Posted by ExLeper78
    From tikays famous words "it depends"......................this really is true if the board is dry e.g. J 7 2 off is a good board whilst 7c8c9h isnt a good board to c-bet k chief 

basically get reads on ur opponent and c-bet on boards that u think ur opponent is likely to have missed SIMPLE.............well not quite lol   it takes ages to learn to put ur opponent on hands.............. when u get good at this, ur c-bets and other plays for that matter will work more efficiently GL 
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited April 2010
    basically almost always
  • Options
    TheAAcesTheAAces Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2010
    In Response to The Art of C-Betting:
    Posted by ExLeper78
    Regardless of the flop ship it all-in........put the decision back on the other player.

Only joking, depends on texture of the board, if wet it maybe better to peel off another card.....which you will probably miss as well, see how your opponent reacts on the turn. If dry 3/4 to pot size.

Of course this depends on what stage of the tourney (if cash you have got to bet out to see where you are)? can you take a modest hit to your stack and still be competitive? do you need to steal this pot? how many opponents? is/are your opponent(s) calling station? C- betting with nothing on wet boards is troublesome because its hard to tell if your opponent is drawing or has hit already and willing to call down to the river with 2nd pair, or he may have a monster. Position is power.....but it only useful when you have a read and seen how your opponent plays other pots.

Low level blinds I don't fall in love with AK/AQ it is what it is......Ace high!
  • Options
    GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited April 2010
    In position I would say the c-bet is just about mandatory there, you would take the pot uncontested often enough to make it a profitable play in the long term.

Obviously a re-raise would almost certainly force you to lay them down, if you get a caller and the turn doesn't help your reads on that opponent and the board texture will determine your next action.