You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

PTP Omaha Questions - Post them on this Thread, please.

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,119
edited April 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Very shortly, several of the PTP nights will be devoted entirely to Omaha.

Please Post any questions related to Omaha game-play from the PTP Evenings on this thread.

ANYONE can Post the questions, & ANYONE can answer them.

Open-source learning, can't beat it.

Comments

• Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited April 2010
    not taken to omaha so far Tikay,did you enjoy it as soon as you started or did it take time to get used to and learn how to do well?

maybe see you in the primo soon :)
  • Options
    aardvark48aardvark48 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2010

yesterday a took part in the Omaha round TKO2,coming in at 130th which I was delighted and at the same time disappionted I dd,nt cash. My question is who much the % change to small pairs in your dealt hand make to the to the overhall hand into after after the flop etc this is compared to holdem. Takeing Into Consideration that there are fewer cards left in the Pack, 28 as opposed to 40 in holdham (6 seater table) I feel if I had played a few more a may have got further and even cashed before being Blinded out. Perhaps Ed Giddins could answer this.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: PTP Omaha Questions - Post them on this Thread, please.:
        yesterday a took part in the Omaha round TKO2,coming in at 130th which I was delighted and at the same time disappionted I dd,nt cash. My question is who much the % change to small pairs in your dealt hand make to the to the overhall hand into after after the flop etc this is compared to holdem. Takeing Into Consideration that there are fewer cards left in the Pack, 28 as opposed to 40 in holdham (6 seater table) I feel if I had played a few more a may have got further and even cashed before being Blinded out. Perhaps Ed Giddins could answer this.
    Posted by aardvark48
    The number of cards left in the pack is irrelevant since you don't know what is in the other player's hands.
    All you know is the 4 cards in your own hand so there are effectively 48 cards "left in the pack".
    The problem with small pairs in Omaha is that they are a very weak starting hand. Your chance of making a set is no greater than in Hold 'Em (apart from a small fraction) and even if you do make a set it is not a great hand due to the much greater chance that other players have better sets or big flush/straight/combo draws.
    It's even worse if you have 3 cards of the same rank in your hand since you have one of your own "outs" in your hand. Always ditch these kinds of hands.
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: PTP Omaha Questions - Post them on this Thread, please.:
    Posted by aardvark48
      The main issue in any omaha starting hand is not the quality of any particular 2 card combo but the number of them you have. Also it is how your cards work together. So if you had 4456 then i would definatly be looking to play it because you have 4 nut drawing starting hands.(44 45 46 and 56). Hands like 448K rainbow should be immediately folded because of only having the 1 playable hand. The other main thing to remember is that set over set is quite common in omaha so small pairs can lose their value because of oversets being flopped.

Plus when you have a pair in your starting hand you are not looking for a set but a full house or quads. Sets are rarely good enough to win as so many straights and flushes are usually available. So my advice would be only to play them if you have backup hands and never get totally married to it if you hit your set because you can easily be a long way behind.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,119
    edited April 2010

Mr aardvark,

The replies by Mere & Talon pretty much sum it up.

In short, don't play small pairs in isolation. By "in isolation", it's OK if they "fit" with your hand, but, say, A-9-4-4 is hopeless, & has to be binned pre-flop.

The hand Talon mentioned - 4-4-5-6 - as having "nut draws" is an excellent example of when you can play small pairs. Any Board containing A-2-3, 2-3-4, 2-3-5, etc, are all likely to be good, & nicely disguised. But Boards containing 6-7-8, 7-8-9, you must be VERY careful of, because someone very probably has the higher straight. NEVER draw to the "bad" straights in Omaha. Ever.
  • Options
    JumpaJumpa Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2010
    Hi All

In a recent home game playing omaha in dealers choice a situation arose where a big pot developed (nothing unusual there in omaha) on the board 4 hearts ...showdown player 1 had a heart flush king high with two of his hole cards hearts... player 2 had an ace flush but only held one heart being the ace... player 2 went to scoop the pot and I had to intervene to say that player 1 should have the pot as he has 2 hole cards that where hearts as you can imagine a bit of a discussion developed with another player siding on player 2 as it was in my house the unwritten rule is organiser has final say

good job it was early doors and not to much alcohol had been consumed we were only on our first crate

Please can you confirm the ruling i'm 99% sure I am right (for a change)
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: PTP Omaha Questions - Post them on this Thread, please. (Home game situation):
    Hi All In a recent home game playing omaha in dealers choice a situation arose where a big pot developed (nothing unusual there in omaha) on the board 4 hearts ...showdown player 1 had a heart flush king high with two of his hole cards hearts... player 2 had an ace flush but only held one heart being the ace... player 2 went to scoop the pot and I had to intervene to say that player 1 should have the pot as he has 2 hole cards that where hearts as you can imagine a bit of a discussion developed with another player siding on player 2 as it was in my house the unwritten rule is organiser has final say good job it was early doors and not to much alcohol had been consumed we were only on our first crate Please can you confirm the ruling i'm 99% sure I am right (for a change)
    Posted by Jumpa
      Yes you are correct. In omaha the final hand is made up of exactly 2 cards from your hand and 3 from the board. This is one of the harder concepts for newcomers to grasp as with normal holdem they can use any number of cards
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: PTP Omaha Questions - Post them on this Thread, please. (Home game situation):
    Hi All In a recent home game playing omaha in dealers choice a situation arose where a big pot developed (nothing unusual there in omaha) on the board 4 hearts ...showdown player 1 had a heart flush king high with two of his hole cards hearts... player 2 had an ace flush but only held one heart being the ace... player 2 went to scoop the pot and I had to intervene to say that player 1 should have the pot as he has 2 hole cards that where hearts as you can imagine a bit of a discussion developed with another player siding on player 2 as it was in my house the unwritten rule is organiser has final say good job it was early doors and not to much alcohol had been consumed we were only on our first crate Please can you confirm the ruling i'm 99% sure I am right (for a change)
    Posted by Jumpa
    Yes, you are correct, each player must use two (and only two) of their hole cards to make their best hand.
    Therefore, player 1 wins the hand (assuming that player 2 didn't have a full house or better).
  • Options
    JumpaJumpa Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: PTP Omaha Questions - Post them on this Thread, please. (Home game situation) : Yes, you are correct, each player must use two (and only two) of their hole cards to make their best hand. Therefore, player 1 wins the hand (assuming that player 2 didn't have a full house or better).
    Posted by MereNovice

Many thanks guys... some humble pie is going to be eaten...gl at the tables