You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

A shove? A call?

philmenowphilmenow Member Posts: 617
edited April 2010 in The Poker Clinic
just wondered if I/u should/would have shoved..? And/or should they/you call....(even though they are ahead,and win the hand) is calling with A2 advisable in this position..(clearly on this occasion it was,lol),was shoving with K high BAD(clearly it was,..lol....should i wait???? for what,and when.?)..i certainly wasnt playing loose,was about 14th at the time,blinds are fairly high and getting higher,and its for his tourney life(and mine ,pretty much)...chip leaders are at about 50k...  .was it worth just raising(figure he calls,or puts me all-in,cant see him folding to less,lol..).Or is he right to call with any A? Not annoyed with the call? more the shove..(but not much)..does it just look like a steal.?..lol..Any advice/opinions?thanx.phil.
ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
philmenow Small blind  800.00 800.00 11720.00
 Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 9370.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

Fold     
Fold     
philmenow All-in  11720.00 14120.00 0.00
 All-in  9370.00 23490.00 0.00
philmenow Unmatched bet  1550.00 21940.00 1550.00
philmenow Show
  • K

Show
  • A

Flop

• A
  • K

Turn

River

• J

Win Pair of Aces 21940.00  21940.00

Comments

• Options
    ybyb Member Posts: 1,471
    edited April 2010
    Both the shove and call are fine imo.
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited April 2010
    Check list:
    1 player to get through? Check
    Less than 10BBs? Check
    Not playing super laggy? Check
    Did the dealer deal you cards? Irrelevant... you should pretty much always shove any 2 cards in this situation.

You have 3 options:
    Fold
    Raise
    Shove

K5o against any 2 cards (a random BB hand) is a 53.314% favourite. So you can assume you have the best hand, so that rules out folding.
    Raising with less than 10BBs... what do you do if you get shoved on? If your answer is call then get your money in first and they might fold some hands that they would of shoved with. If you raised and they called you would not have enough chips to C-bet... so if your plan is to shove any flop then you really should just be shoving preflop otherwise they have a 33% chance of pairing their hand and may be less likely to fold. The only argument for raising really is that the BB is like super tight and will fold very easily to a min raise.
    So that leaves shoving all in... so you made the right decision IMO. You probably have the best hand, and you will steal the blinds a large % of the time and as they are such a big % of your stack they are crucial to your tournament survival.

Now the A2o call... this depends on a number of things.
    What range does he think you are shoving with in the SB?
    How have you been playing?
    Etc etc...

Problem is... it's half of his stack. If he thinks you are shoving any 2 cards in the above situation from the SB then A2o is a 54.929% favourite. So that means he is calling off over half of his stack for more or less a coin flip at best. For those reasons I personally would pass and look to get my chips in first.
  • Options
    ybyb Member Posts: 1,471
    edited April 2010
    Youre misreading the hand blackfish, the BB has under 6 bb's left so I'd be calling this all day long.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    thnx for that blackfish,however im a little confused when you say its gonna cost him half his stakk 2 call..sgonna cost him all of it...thats why i wonder if its a bad call..
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: A shove? A call?:
    Youre misreading the hand blackfish, the BB has under 6 bb's left so I'd be calling this all day long.
    Posted by yb
    or good...?
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited April 2010
    oops sorry, I read the pot balance as the villain's chip balance. So yea with under 6BBs left for the villain it's an easy call for him.

It's just a standard hand that was played as played.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    sound..altho looking back,,i dont think i had to 'shove' here..waasnt feeling desperate for chips,cudv used another lot of blinds..seemed like as good a time as any,tho.....thanks for ur input...     .standard poker.
  • Options
    barnsiebarnsie Member Posts: 496
    edited April 2010
    standard handshove and call both fine
  • Options
    Strat91Strat91 Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2010
    Standard shove. Standard call. Both did nothing wrong.