You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Improving My MTT Play

tregesea31tregesea31 Member Posts: 13
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Can anyone advise me on the best way to attack an MTT after having a good start. Lots of times when I play I get a cracking start and get into the top 5 of say 150 players but am then stuck as to what the best policy would be  1) Wait for good hands  2) Attack other big stacks as they are less likely to shove 3) Attack smaller stacks as they are afraid of going out. Any help would be great.

Comments

• Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited May 2010
    2 and 3. And steal the blinds alot if and when there are antes. 
  • Options
    Strat91Strat91 Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Improving My MTT Play:
    Can anyone advise me on the best way to attack an MTT after having a good start. Lots of times when I play I get a cracking start and get into the top 5 of say 150 players but am then stuck as to what the best policy would be  1) Wait for good hands  2) Attack other big stacks as they are less likely to shove 3) Attack smaller stacks as they are afraid of going out. Any help would be great.
    Posted by tregesea31
    I often play 90 man sit n gos on Full Tilt and Ive cashed and final tabled something like 12/19. Heres my strategy.

Play tight early on but if you see a few poor players look to get into pots with them and aim to stack them. And you will be surprised how many people fancy a gamble and play these just to shove the first few hands.
    When the blinds pick up, really put pressure on the short stacks. Avoid marginal hands with the big stacks as thats what could cost you chips.
    If your still decent chip stack going into the bubble this is where you must pick up enough chips to go on to win it. This is where I'll do most of my damage if I have a big chip stack.  Ill be almost rasing any 2 knowing smaller stacks are playing very tight just to cash. Final table early stages I tighten up/play solid poker, this stage I look to see who is good and who are not so good. Once I have an idea I can loosen up/tighten up depending on players. Hope this helps.

Note : If you just cash and you have a small/average chipstack play very agressive, shove like crazy. There is a very small difference between the first few ladder stages of money. Therefore no point in sitting there laddering up a few spots. You really want to build a stack to give yourself a shot at winning.