You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Low Limit DYM Help?

robcrobc Member Posts: 521
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
hiya been trying the 1.15 Dym's today and have to say i have been diabolical lol.

Just wondered if anyone could give me a few tips for these, im trying the orford bankroll challenge and thought these would be a good way to slowly grind up for the time being.

I use to play these succesfully awhile ago but havn't played them in ages got bored of them and cant seem to get to grips with them again , lost 5 in a row today, luckily some cash games have boosted the bankroll abit. but want to crack the DYM again.

Any tips would be great cheers

Comments

• Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited May 2010
    Play the 1st 3 levels like a cash game.
    Then when the blinds hit the 4th level + just try and steal the blinds in position when ever you can, especially as people will all tighten up.
    Drop to 10BBs and go shove crazy when spots present themselves such as being on the button or in the SB.
    Try not to get all in early on without like the nuts.
    Dont donk.
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited May 2010
    btw rob... i think i have you on msn but im not sure. If you want I can watch you play a low dym and if you tell me your cards on msn i can give you my oppinions?
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited May 2010
    Fold alot. Shove alot. Play tighter than is fun.
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited May 2010
    I've been doing a similar thing to you grinding at the £1.15 level. My personal approach has been to only raise with 3 hands AA, KK and AK, with QQ I open shove hoping to get called by Ax. Also in the first two levels I will limp in with pairs up to JJ hoping to flop set then get paid etc, once its 25/50 that stops. When it gets to 50/100 open shoving with AK has proved successful for me, a lot of AJ/AQ's snap. When it gets to 75/150 and beyond it's all about maintaining a stack that can make people fold through well timed shoves and even big folds.

So far doing this I've built up enough to go onto £2.25 level. You'll need a lot of determination playing this way cus it can be quite boring at first, but once you start getting the results you wont even think about it.

Good luck with ya month mate, hope it goes well. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cheers for all the responses guys! il be giving this a go over the next few days with abit more success hopefully lol

yeah i think i do have your msn blackfish, il check on it later and that sounds good il be back on the dym later today or tommorrow so il try catch you on msn if thats cool?

Cheers dude il probably be bumping into you on the tables over the next month then lol Gl for your month mate :)
  • Options
    vslippery1vslippery1 Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2010
    Hi Rob,

only thing I'd add is - with DYMs if you find yourself in a bad run of results, drop a level and do your losing there, then when u start hitting cards again move back up. Lose at the lower level, win at the higher, it works 4 me.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hiya Slip, 

cheers for that mate i will definatly be going down a level in the DYM's till i start playing them abit better lol
  • Options
    WilhelmWilhelm Member Posts: 1,730
    edited May 2010
    robc

I know this isn't quite for the stakes that you are playing but I think that there are some good tips here that have helped me get off to a good start in my personal bankroll challenge.

Regards

Wilhelm
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cheers wilhelm that thread is perfect wish i had seen that before i started lol. how has your bankroll challenge starting?

GL for your challenge 

Rob
  • Options
    WilhelmWilhelm Member Posts: 1,730
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Low Limit DYM Help?:
    Cheers wilhelm that thread is perfect wish i had seen that before i started lol. how has your bankroll challenge starting?   GL for your challenge     Rob
    Posted by robc
    No prob rob.  I'm taking my challenge very slow and steady.  I have only just doubled my starting roll of £1.

Hope ur luck improves.

Will
  • Options
    vslippery1vslippery1 Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2010
    Hi Rob,

I've got another thought for you. Is the DYM route the best way to up your bankroll?

Since the start of the year I've kept a database of all my results:

DYM £1.15 Played 128 Won 82 64% win rate - profit £14.80

DYM £2.25 Played 713 Won 401 56% win rate - profit £2.00

The problem is that you have to win substantially more than 50% to show a profit because of the rake and the rake percentage is higher 15% & 12.5% respectively on the low level DYMs, get a little higher up the tree and its 10%, but then you still need to be winning 55% to break even.

DYMs are a great way of passing time without losing too much money, and also good for getting the feel of how to play around final tables when things are tight. I make most of my bankroll increase from small MTTs and Bonus.

I leave that for you to ponder. Hope things are picking up in your challenge.

regards

Slip
  • Options
    donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
    edited May 2010
    good advice slippery1. havnt been on the same table as you for a while now.

since ive started playing cash rather than dyms ive found it alot easier to make a profit but at the same time you can lose more if you are running bad! (does that make sense?? :))
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cheers for the advice slip.

Since ive posted this ive started trying cash again and that seems to be going nicely, i started trying DYMs as i had been running and playing badly and thought this would stop me losing to much, but since ive been back on cash the corner seems to be turning and this can start funding the deepstack tournaments again lol. cheers for the advice mate really appreciate it.

And i no what ya mean donkeyplop cash is great for profit just got to be careful when you start running bad or tilting as money can disapear very quickly lol