You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Poker virgin, help needed :D

angel2angel2 Member Posts: 5
edited June 2009 in Poker Chat
Hello everyone

I am very new to poker and know the very basics but have been enjoy playing the odd game.
What is the best way to learn about when to call, raise, fold and by how much etc? Also, i hear a lot mentioned about being out of position. Are all these things something you learn over time or are there a set of basic rules?  I think i am more lucky at times than skilled and i also probably confuse the life out of my oponents with my wild, inconsistent betting. All advice , gratefully received . Thanks
Angelina :)

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,200
    edited June 2009

Hi Angelina,

Wow, that's a BIG question.

Have you watched any of the Sky Poker School, or Sky Poker Shows? They might help.

Do you want to play Live, or Inline, or both?

Cash or Tournaments?

And lastly (for now), what part of the UK, roughly, do you live in?

Answer that lot, & we'll move on to the next Level!

Oh, & welcome to the Sky Poker Forum.
  • Options
    angel2angel2 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2009

Hello

Thank you for replying!
    I watch a lot of the shows and try to see the reason why people make the moves and bets  they do . The hand analysis is always helpful. I think i am realising more  not to chase hands , which as a novice it's easy to do and all the finger crossing and hoping in the world, often doesnt work.

I live in Essex and i will be playing online. I dont think i would be confident enough to go and play live at the moment.

I have played the cash tables but i have been enjoying the SnG's lately. I think tournaments may be more enjoyable for me than cash .

I think my biggest question is really knowing when it is right to call or bet? Is there a set rule for this as i have seen people post in the chat box and question people about their calls etc as if they have broken some unspoken rule.

I havent watched the poker school clips but i will have a look now. :)

• Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited June 2009
    Hi Angelina,

Just for starters I recommend you watch (Sky Plus them if you can!) the coverage of the TV tournaments on channel 865 at night (The Open, The Five 00 etc..etc). Although some of the play is rather iffy, the analysis from the analysts such as Tikay and Ed is superb and has seriously helped me. You will also pickup lots from that.

• Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker virgin, help needed :D:
    I think my biggest question is really knowing when it is right to call or bet? Is there a set rule for this as i have seen people post in the chat box and question people about their calls etc as if they have broken some unspoken rule.
    This is where position comes into the mix.  If you are last to act and everyone checks, you need to decide whether they've missed or they're slow playing. If you think they've missed, have a stab (regardless of your cards) of about half to 3 quarters of the pot.  You should call if you believe you have a chance to win. However if you have A2 and the flop comes Axx, chances are that your 2 will be outkicked by anyone with a stronger A so tread carefully there!!!

HOWEVER, as u sound fairly new I would suggest the low limit double money sng's.  That way you have a good game for a small stake and can start to formulate ur own playing style.  That way u can either wait for the cards or speculate a little!  If u wanna just play strong cards, regardless of position, I would stick to pocket pairs, AK,AQ and maybe AJ.

Does this help at all?
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,200
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker virgin, help needed :D:
    Hello Thank you for replying! I watch a lot of the shows and try to see the reason why people make the moves and bets  they do . The hand analysis is always helpful. I think i am realising more  not to chase hands , which as a novice it's easy to do and all the finger crossing and hoping in the world, often doesnt work. I live in Essex and i will be playing online. I dont think i would be confident enough to go and play live at the moment. I have played the cash tables but i have been enjoying the SnG's lately. I think tournaments may be more enjoyable for me than cash . I think my biggest question is really knowing when it is right to call or bet? Is there a set rule for this as i have seen people post in the chat box and question people about their calls etc as if they have broken some unspoken rule. I havent watched the poker school clips but i will have a look now. :)
    Posted by angel2
    Hi again Angelina,

Well as Phil12Uk says, SNG's & DYM's would probably be best for you right now.

When to Bet or Call? The default setting is only Call with VERY big hands, but can can bet with much smaller hands. In fact you can bet with air, but you need a big hand to call.

Do NOT worry about comments in the Chat Box. You will only get criticised by those who you take chips off. So that's a good thing! You pay your entry fee & are entitled to play any way you want.

Really, if you have any questions as to how to play the game, go to the "POKER STRATEGY BOARD" on this Forum, & ask questions there, & someobody will come along pretty sharpish with a reply. If it's The Mackem or GREGHOGG, ignore them though....;)

Have a good weekend. I'm going to Southend to play a Tournament today, so I'll toot as I drive past Chez Angenina!

Take care now.