You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Did i play this hand wrong??????????????

Buster69Buster69 Member Posts: 135
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
My Hole Cards - Ah 9h
My Stack - 2720 
Opponents Stack - 2460
Blinds - 15/30

I was in small blind it got folding around to me so i raised to 120
Opponent Flat Called

Flop Came - As 5d 5h

I Bet Pot 240
Opponent Flat Calls

Turn - 9s

I Bet Pot Again 720 
Opponents Raises All In 
I Call 

River - 9c

Opponents Hole Cards - Ac Ad

Did i Play This Wrong And Was There Any Way I Could Of Put Him On AA????

Thanks For The Answers Guys

Comments

• Options
    JONONZIEJONONZIE Member Posts: 367
    edited May 2010

Hi Buster very unlucky comeing up against the AA I hate small blind V big blind but I think you played it to perfection the only thing  after you bet out on the turn you asked him a serious question and I would seriously think he may have a 5 being in the blind he could play with  anything  and after his all in I would possibly fold

Oh and before anyone else gets in there bad beat stories should be banned (chuckles
     the obligatory moan about bad beats being put up)

• Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited May 2010
    You made good 4x raise PF and he just called, either he is just protecting his big blind or he has a descent hand. The flop is pretty perfect for you another strong bet, just called so he might have another ace that is bigger than yours, when you hit the 9 its perfect as he could have AQ/K and be looking to get it in on the turn. In your situation I would also call, I really find it hard to put him on the 5, A5 he's flopped the nuts so would probably keep check calling not wanting to  scare, and maybe K5 but that's just unlucky.

You still have 1640 before you call the all in so don't have to call but I'd rather just call and have the chance of getting a big stack early on that I can use to bully with.
  • Options
    Buster69Buster69 Member Posts: 135
    edited May 2010
    Thanks guys i always think to myself after a hand like this did i play it wrong or was there anyway i could of put him on AA or a 5 i didn't think that i could and i bet strongly which i always do i just put this one down to bad luck and outplayed
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Did i play this hand wrong??????????????:
    You made good 4x raise PF and he just called, either he is just protecting his big blind or he has a descent hand. The flop is pretty perfect for you another strong bet, just called so he might have another ace that is bigger than yours, when you hit the 9 its perfect as he could have AQ/K and be looking to get it in on the turn. In your situation I would also call, I really find it hard to put him on the 5, A5 he's flopped the nuts so would probably keep check calling not wanting to  scare, and maybe K5 but that's just unlucky. You still have 1640 before you call the all in so don't have to call but I'd rather just call and have the chance of getting a big stack early on that I can use to bully with.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Hi dud just reading your thoughts on this hand you said when the nine came down that was perfect but it really doent change the hand much in that if he did have a 5 he would still be miles in front, you did say  you would find it hard to put him on A 5 or any 5 as he would have the nuts  and would check call not wanting to scare you off but he already has the nuts with his AA a very difficult hand indeed

• Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Did i play this hand wrong?????????????? : Hi dud just reading your thoughts on this hand you said when the nine came down that was perfect but it really doent change the hand much in that if he did have a 5 he would still be miles in front, you did say  you would find it hard to put him on A 5 or any 5 as he would have the nuts  and would check call not wanting to scare you off but he already has the nuts with his AA a very difficult hand indeed  
    Posted by JONONZIE
    Like a 5 it's also pretty impossible (for me anyway) to put him on AA. Also can't beleive he risked letting buster get away by going all in on turn.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Did i play this hand wrong?????????????? : Like a 5 it's also pretty impossible (for me anyway) to put him on AA. Also can't beleive he risked letting buster get away by going all in on turn.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

I agree with you I would still find it hard to get off this hand but these are the hands that make or break players
  • Options
    robcrobc Member Posts: 521
    edited May 2010
    I agree with dude, on the flop after he flatted the 4x raise pre and then flatted the pot bet im probably putting him on a bigger ace and would be looking to get away but then the pesky 9 comes and makes it almost impossible to get away. just one of those unlucky hands mate very hard to put him on a 5 and cant go putting him on AA with the way he played it really.
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited May 2010
    it isnt about putting him on a specific hand, but thinking about all the hands he could have.

when he calls the flop its very possible he has an ace. its less likely(cos theres already two out there) but still possible he has a 5. Its possible he has a pocket pair 66-TT. 

Its possible he has AA but its very very unlikely because you have an ace and theres an ace out there and he didnt re-raise pre which you would have to assume he does some % of the time.

When the 9 comes on the turn you now are beating all his Ace hands which had a better kicker than yours. considering an ace was the most likely hand he had you have to try and get all his chips when that is indeed what he has. The times he has you beat are made up for by all the times you have him beat, which will be most of the time.

If you had put him on AA and decided to fold it would have been the wrong play.