You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Omaha beginner......

DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Ok read abit about omaha this morning, by Hellmuth, trying to get to a decent level to play 10/20nl....thas tn or 20, not £10/£20 blinds :)

Just had this hand....its pretty strange...as I believe I hold the cards I need to hit to improve, Im blocking myself from improving, and on this flop, I have to fold to raises? or at least slow down on the turn?...

Go easy on me...
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
palina Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.87
Joey19 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.40
  Your hole cards

Millers13 Fold     
lindak Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.50
ELVIS Call  £0.04 £0.14 £4.68
DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.04 £0.18 £5.15
palina Call  £0.02 £0.20 £1.85
Joey19 Check     
Flop

palina Check     
Joey19 Check     
lindak Check     
ELVIS Check     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  £0.20 £0.40 £4.95
palina Fold     
Joey19 Fold     
lindak Fold     
ELVIS Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Show

DOHHHHHHH Win  £0.39  £5.34
There is no action, but one of the things Im finding hard to grasp is knowing where I am in a hand....

How strong am I here?

How do you respond to a raise? or even a raise and a re rasie?

Comments

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited May 2010
    I always find playing bottom set difficult.

As you say, in some ways you've hit the flop too hard, i.e. you hold some blockers for your full house.
    However, it does mean that if you make your full house, you're much more likely to be holding the best hand.

In cases where you hold bottom set, the tendency is to think that the board pairing (on the turn or river) is good, i.e. it completes your full house. However, it also completes a better full house for anyone who is holding top two pairs. Losing with the low full house in Omaha is not uncommon and can be costly.

You could already be losing to a straight yet you want to protect against a flush draw. Betting out here is good and taking the pot down is fine. Things are unlikely to improve for you and you find out if someone has got the made straight early. It would be very tricky of someone just to call your bet with the straight due to the possible flush draw. If someone re-pots you, you can lay your hand down. You're about 30% against the straight and in horrible shape against a better set.