You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

C-bet or take free card?

Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
TOD19 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.83
westyuk Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.93
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

dasisboi Fold     
SPOCKCAL Call  £0.04 £0.10 £8.32
antichrist Call  £0.04 £0.14 £9.52
Dudeskin8 Raise  £0.20 £0.34 £4.19
stek Fold     
dsk19s01 Fold     
walter1959 Fold     
TOD19 Fold     
westyuk Fold     
SPOCKCAL Call  £0.16 £0.50 £8.16
antichrist Call  £0.16 £0.66 £9.36
Flop

SPOCKCAL Check     
antichrist Check     
Dudeskin8 ???    
I'm getting in these spots quite a bit recently, raise with big cards KQ/J, AK/Q/J then I keep missing the flop (or at least it feels that way). I've heard you should never bluff at this level as people will call down with any pair most of the time, however as the pot is 66p should I be sticking in around 38-45p just to steal it (maybe with the best hand anyway). Or is it better to check, take the free card and see if they check it twice ?

Also probably best if a few regs at this level could give some advice.

Comments

• Options
    Patching99Patching99 Member Posts: 446
    edited May 2010

I play this level and if you pay attention, certain players will do the same play over and over again.  For this reason you can bluff sometimes.  Not sure what I would do here as no info but if I had just sat down I would take the free card.   

• Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited May 2010
    i just check as its multi way.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: C-bet or take free card?:
    i just check as its multi way.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    So against 1 opponent bet say 75-80% of time ?
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited May 2010
    For me, at the lower mid stakes...against 1 oppo....I cbet 95% of the time....

Reason being it gets through quite alot.....

It gets you TWO free cards, as if you bet, he calls, he's likely to check expecting u to bet again

U wud do the same with aces and kings, so c-betting and being raised,then u fold - this will work out later in the session

Against 2 players...maybe check I dunno, bet sometimes, check sometimes :(
  • Options
    DeuceAK_47DeuceAK_47 Member Posts: 381
    edited May 2010

I dont play these stakes but i think the theory of playing against loose passive players stays the same, so i would continuation bet (1/2 pots fine against one player but against two i would bet 2/3) on this dry of a board for capitalization of dead money.
    I believe theres only three reasons for betting:-

1) to get value from are hand
    2)a bluff
    3)capitalization of dead money

If we bet here we are not bluffing as its most likely that we have the best hand but as we only have ace high we are happy to take the pot down now as they have good equity against are hand.
    If we get a caller we are obviously just trying to get a free showdown if we dont improve, its not the worst thing if a hand like kj calls us as although they have good equity against us at least we are getting some value from are hand while we are ahead.

So in conclusion i would bet for capatilization of dead money aand thin value....hope this makes sense :-)
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: C-bet or take free card? : So against 1 opponent bet say 75-80% of time ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    no... on this flop i bet 100% of the time against 1 opponent lol. Even if he is a calling station you still probably have the best hand so like AK said, there's some thin value.
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited May 2010
    bet 50p
  • Options
    AdastraAdastra Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2010

I'm a reg at this level, I have found that alot of players will call 20p pre-flop with any 2 suited or connected cards and any ace

I think on that board I would c-bet half the pot, then check the turn if not improved

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Flop

SPOCKCAL Check     
    antichrist Check     
    Dudeskin8 Check     
    Turn

SPOCKCAL Check     
    antichrist Bet  £0.12 £0.78 £9.24
    Dudeskin8 ??? 
    Cheers for that advide, I decided to check the flop, no improvement on the turn but one of them decides to bet 12p, this situation I find even worse as I have either gone behind or am being bluffed off the best hand by really small bet.

In this situation with just one card to come is it best over time just to fold and let him have it ?
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited May 2010
    bet flop and bet every turn which isnt a 2,3,4,5 or 6.

reasons to bet:

youre in position.
    you have 2 overs.
    you beat every flush draw apart from AK so if you bet flop and turn and the flush misses you can check back the river and still win a lot of the time.
    every turn card is gonna be a scare card for someone with a 2 or 3 so you can probably get them to fold by barrelling. i dont buy into this people never ever fold any pair rubbish, people have to fold some of the time, no matter how bad.
    If you hit a ace or queen on turn or river you can stack people with a ten. also jacks and kings give you more outs and are decent scare cards to continue betting.

If both people call flop then i would give up on turn a lot more but if youve bet flop theyre both likely to check to you on turn anyway so you can take a free card.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    bet flop and bet every turn which isnt a 2,3,4,5 or 6. reasons to bet: youre in position. you have 2 overs. you beat every flush draw apart from AK so if you bet flop and turn and the flush misses you can check back the river and still win a lot of the time. every turn card is gonna be a scare card for someone with a 2 or 3 so you can probably get them to fold by barrelling. i dont buy into this people never ever fold any pair rubbish, people have to fold some of the time, no matter how bad. If you hit a ace or queen on turn or river you can stack people with a ten. also jacks and kings give you more outs and are decent scare cards to continue betting. If both people call flop then i would give up on turn a lot more but if youve bet flop theyre both likely to check to you on turn anyway so you can take a free card.
    Posted by offshoot
    Thanks a lot for this reply, really thinking outside the box. I'll defo try and implement it in other similar spots.