You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Never knew where I stood.

Patching99Patching99 Member Posts: 446
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.48
3Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.84
  Your hole cards

peterpan09 Fold     
isimba03 Fold     
Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.45
Patching99 Raise  £0.12 £0.22 £3.24
Call  £0.10 £0.32 £1.38
3Raise  £0.16 £0.48 £2.68
1Call  £0.16 £0.64 £2.29
Patching99 Call  £0.08 £0.72 £3.16
Call  £0.08 £0.80 £1.30
Flop

2Bet  £0.32 £1.12 £0.98
3Raise  £0.64 £1.76 £2.04
1Fold     
Patching99 Call  £0.64 £2.40 £2.52
2All-in  £0.98 £3.38 £0.00
3Call  £0.66 £4.04 £1.38
Patching99 Call  £0.66 £4.70 £1.86
Turn

• K

Check     
Patching99 Check     
River

Check     
Patching99 Check    
Player 1 - multi-tabler, solid at this level.
Player 2 - Called a lot of bets preflop.
Player 3 - not played many hands.

After reading offshoots advice this was the hand from last night that caused me the biggest headache.  I was in position but never in control.  I never really knew what I was up against and this resulted me in calling a lot, bad I know. 

Looking back, I think I should have raised more preflop, say 20p.  Should I then be re-raising on the flop?

I think my play was awful so any help would be good.

Comments

• Options
    SHANXTASHANXTA Member Posts: 1,507
    edited May 2010
    At last a decent post, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, pre-flop, yeah i agree u shud prob b makin it 16/20p, but u know that already.

On the flop/turn, I think you can safely assume that despite player 3's min-raise of the flop, after he only flats the push, and then checks to u on the turn that we have hit beat. The Kh is about as safe as we can hope on the turn, the only thing being that it mite scare A10 etc.

On the river, I cant see anyone at this level checking Jx or even QJ (twice) to u, so im guessin u av 2 bet 4 value
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited May 2010
    Preflop raise maybe 5x instead. On the flop I can't understand why you haven't just gone all in over the top, After player 2 goes all in for 98p why have you just called, are you putting him on 10's 9's or flopped str8 ? For me it's all in now and take it down. His minraise on flop is probably A10, K10.
  • Options
    robcrobc Member Posts: 521
    edited May 2010
    Hiya nice post m8.

Pre flop i would be raising abit more at these levels aswell. on the flop we have hit what we wanted the set, i no its abit of a scary board but by the time the action gets to you the pot is £2.40 and there has been some action already you have £2.52 back i would just get it in here. 

At this level they would probably call with a10,k10,j10s, also aq,ak suited diamonds and probably without diamonds tbh. there range could be so wide. as it happens with the call then flat calling the all in, when the kh comes on the turn this is a safe card and when he checks you to assume you are ahead still the pot is £4.70, with your stack of  £1.86 there isn't really a worth while bet apart from all in as you have less than half the pot i would be defiantly getting the rest in on the turn.

obviously they could of been raising pre with 10's,9's,jq but i dont think they would play the flop as they had with these hands, alot of playerrs at this level in my experience first thing they try to do when they hit a monster is check or shove, they like to try and trap you and get tricky or it goes to there head abit and shove. the main thing i would be worried about is how player 2 played it as you say he has a solid game and the bet and shove when re raised may mean a flopped set but could just as easily be a10. 

sorry i blabberd on abit gl at the tables mate.

EDIT: forgot to add overpairs to villians range. lol
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Never knew where I stood.:
    Preflop raise maybe 5x instead. On the flop I can't understand why you haven't just gone all in over the top, After player 2 goes all in for 98p why have you just called, are you putting him on 10's 9's or flopped str8 ? For me it's all in now and take it down. His minraise on flop is probably A10, K10.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I thought player 3 might have a higher pocket pair after they re-raised after the flop.  9's, 10's, J's were a possibility for me at the time.  I should be shoving on the flop to make it expensive for the draws, right. If I do and get outdrawn or they have a higher set then I suppose its just one of those things.  In other words is the shove after the flop the right move?

As I said the flop stumped me, ran out of time trying to think it through.

If player 2 was on a flush draw and player 3 had JJ, what are my odds and how does this relate to the shove post flop?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    player 11 JJch: 16.94% to win (0.33% to tie)

player 2 AQdd: 28.24% to win (0.33% to tie)

You 88: 54.49% to win (0.33% to tie)

there we go mate  good old cardplayer odds calculater im not as clever as merenovice lol

EDIT: thats the odds on the flop btw 
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited May 2010

The shove is definetly the right move mate. If he has a bigger set just say fare do and move on, you can't be scared of bigger sets at this level and same goes for flopped str8's lol. Also with a bigger set himself why would he reraise then just call the all in with so many draw out. It just looks a standard donkey minraise with top pair.

I still can't beleive you just called after the reraise, and then the all in, only 3 hands are beating you, that includes two flopped str8's which aint gonna happen.

EDIT : I said 3, its 4 hands that beat you thought you had 9's. lol

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Also mate if a player has flopped the straight with JQ you are only a 34% underdog
  • Options
    ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    edited May 2010
    Shove flop
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Knew I played it awful and missed out as the result.

Player 2 had Qc10s (top pair)
    Player 3 had Ad7d (flush and straight draw)

Mistake made and lesson learnt.
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited May 2010
    Defo a flop shove also get away from this level ASAP its a minefield and the amount of calls you get no matter what the Xbet is pre flop is unreal.dav
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    hiya mate

At least you still got paid for your mistake and player 3 didnt hit his flush. at the end of the day you got £4.70 and was only £1.38 more you could of got, main mistake is you gave your opponent chance to catch up and draw to the flush for free but no harm done so its all good lol

Gl at the tables m8
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Never knew where I stood.:
    Defo a flop shove also get away from this level ASAP its a minefield and the amount of calls you get no matter what the Xbet is pre flop is unreal.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    I know what you're saying about this level, however, surely I shouldn't be moving up until I can crucify this level, and at the moment I am not doing that.