You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Throwing my chips away

ExLeper78ExLeper78 Member Posts: 42
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Blinds: 15/30

My hand: As Qs

A - 1000
B - 770
C - 2000
D - 1300
ME - 1580
F - 220
BUTTON - 1600
SB - 800
BB - 600

A folds.
B calls.
C folds.
D folds.
ME raises 100
F folds.
G folds.
SB folds.
BB folds.
B calls.

POT = 245

FLOP: 8s 7s 6c

B checks.
ME bet 200.
B calls.

POT = 645

TURN: Jd

B checks.
ME bet 200.
B calls.

RIVER: 7d

B checks.
ME checks.

B shows 9h 6h

B wins with a pair.

This happened to me in a live game on Monday. I've been discussing this with my friends. I reckon I was wrong to bet 200 on the turn. He called my 200 bet on the flop which should of told me he had something. If I had been first to act the bet would have made more sense, but acting second I'm just throwing my chips away aren't I?

Most of my friends tell me he shouldn't have called on the flop, and that he played badly. I agree with them but I still think I made a mistake.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited May 2010
    Firstly, it doesn't matter how badly he played it. 

The villain is so short that you might as well check back turn and try and make your hand. You don't have enough money back to move him off of anything he's called twice with so I see no point in betting unless you hit. I would rather continue firing on the turn with the plan of betting the river against someone who was a bit more deepstacked to start the hand.

btw excellent post considering it's a live hand, all the important information and all very nice and easy to read :-)
  • Options
    MohicanMohican Member Posts: 1,421
    edited May 2010
    He's got ten outs, up and down straight draw and two 6's. Easy call for your 200 (3/4 pot) bet.
    On the turn he's got less than than the pot left. He's checked to you twice so if I'm gonna bet here, I'd have
    put him all in. Make him pay for his draw. He wasn't check calling cos he thought his bottom pair was ahead.
    If he was deeper stacked, your 200 bet (and is a weak bet)  on the turn still prices him in, so you need to make your turn bets bigger if you want to price people of their draws.
    On the river, he's not gonna check his last 270 with a hand so i'd would've put him all in here. He might fold his bottom pair. You've given up a pot of a 1000 chips for a bet of 270.
    Just my thoughts although I'm an aggressive player, being aware of stack sizes might help you adjust your bets.