You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

HOW DO WE PLAY AJ UNDER THE GUN WHEN DEEP IN A TOURNY??????????

TENOFSPADETENOFSPADE Member Posts: 426
edited June 2009 in Poker Chat
HI GUYS AJ UNDER THE GUN ALWAYS GETS ME IN TROUBLE IF I RAISE I NORMALLY WALK INTO A BIGGER HAND OR IF I MIN RAISE THE BLINDS NORMALLY HIT CAUSE I MADE IT CHEAP .SHOULD I FOLD?UR THOUGHTS PLEASE

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,375
    edited June 2009

To answer that properly - & I know it's just an example - but we'd need to know.....

1) How many runners are left.

2) How many runners paid?

3) Are you there to Cash, or to Win?

4) What is your stack?

5) What are the Blinds?

6) What is the Table Dynamic - loose, calling-stations, aggro, tight?

I know that sounds a bit OTT, but these things are very situation-dependent, so the more info you give, the better the answer will be.
  • Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited June 2009
    I had this precise scenario in the Newbie £500 Freeroll yesterday night.

I was 'advising' my partner on her play in this tournament, she was in 7th position (12 left - top 8 paid - 59 runners). 8th place was £25.

We were placed early position, one after the BB(whom has about 55k chips to our 10k), blinds 2k-4k,  9th -12th position had about 5k chips...

I really wanted my partner to get a free bankroll to start with. Cashing was the aim, NOT winning.

AJ clubs dealt. After weighing up all the factors, I advised a fold.

We ended up cashing in 7th (£30)

I felt positionally the BB would have called the 6k difference between his BB and our all in shove. If he had a monster he woudl defo call.. and his range is vast, as he was chip leader by some margin.

So my girlfriend now has a nice £30 in her Sky Account and can try to learn the game for free now for a while.

Objective was to cash- objective achieved.

If we were going for the win, we would have shoved all in.

Dave

• Options
    TENOFSPADETENOFSPADE Member Posts: 426
    edited June 2009

OK LETS SAY EG. 40 RUNNERS LEFT TOP 10 GET PAID THE BLINDS R 200 400 AND MY CHIPSTACK IS 5000 AND A VERY LOOSE CHIPLEADER AND 2 PLAYERS TIGHT . I HAVNT HAD A HAND 4 A WHILE AND THE BLINDS R CATCHING UP WITH ME AJ UNDER THE GUN DO I SHOVE MIN RAISE CALL OR JUST FOLD AND WAIT 4 A BETTER SPOT? BN DEALT THIS HAND NOW A FEW TIMES AND IM NOT  QUIFE SURE WHAT 2 DO WITH IT ? TY TK

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,375
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: HOW DO WE PLAY AJ UNDER THE GUN WHEN DEEP IN A TOURNY??????????:
    OK LETS SAY EG. 40 RUNNERS LEFT TOP 10 GET PAID THE BLINDS R 200 400 AND MY CHIPSTACK IS 5000 AND A VERY LOOSE CHIPLEADER AND 2 PLAYERS TIGHT . I HAVNT HAD A HAND 4 A WHILE AND THE BLINDS R CATCHING UP WITH ME AJ UNDER THE GUN DO I SHOVE MIN RAISE CALL OR JUST FOLD AND WAIT 4 A BETTER SPOT? BN DEALT THIS HAND NOW A FEW TIMES AND IM NOT  QUIFE SURE WHAT 2 DO WITH IT ? TY TK
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    So, you have 12 x BB, which is on the very outside Limit of being able to Raise & then fold pre.

I suppose you could just about Fold to a R, but as you are UTG, you have 1.5 BB to Post next 2 Hands, & you probz need to Raise 3 or 4 x BB, so if you Raised, say, 3.5 BB, then Passed to a shove, then Posted your Blinds, you'd be left with 7 x BB.

So I think our only Raise Option is All-In.

Call? Never, never, never never never at this Stage, when we have 12 x BB, must we Limp.

Pass? Just about - but only just about. I don't think we can Pass here.

I think I'm jamming here. And if the Loose-Goose Big-Stacked Big Blind looks me up light, even better - we are favourite to get a nice 2xUp.

Also, as you've been Card-Dead for a while, it tightens your image, & reduces your likely range in your oppomnts eyes.

Yes. I think I am Jamming here, & what will be will be.