You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Late MTT stage play

GunShowUkGunShowUk Member Posts: 4
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum however after reading a lot of threads it seems like there are a lot of good players with good advice on the site so hopefully someone can help me with my problem.

I have been playing poker for a while and am certainly not a profitable player. My main problem is bankroll management and if I loose I will jump on higher levels of cash action to try and double up and win it back.  This is not the problem I want to talk about however.

I try to play the open as much as I can and have started playing the primo on Sundays. I seem to do well in the Open and last week made my highest finish of 31st. I have had other weeks where have made 50th & 60th (roughly)

I feel with a tournament like that and the starting chip stack my strategy is to play it out and make the break above average stack. This normally occurs as there are a number of "questionable" players in the tournament where you can get a good read on from the start and look to take chips from. Granted everyone sucks out here and there and it doesnt work that well every week. The problem for me is after the break and near the bubble.

I cant seem to sort my strategy out after the break and the later stages towards the payouts. I feel I tighten up and try and coast it out until the money and when the bubble does burst I am normally in a very week position and blinds are so large I have to make a desperation move.

Anyone know any good articles or have any advice on what they tend to do as the prize payouts creep closer?

Thanks 

GunshowUK

Comments

• Options
    ParabollicParabollic Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    hey,

As you near the bubble id recommend loosing up a bit more from middle to late postion to begin with and start to steal more. In my expirence as the bubble nears lots of players tighten up and try to fold their way into the money. This is where i start to become more aggressive stealing and bullying a bit as i know alot of players arent going to play back at me unless they have a big hand and as such im likley to gradually build my stack by taking the blinds, im also raising off the small blind alot if i feel my opponent on the big blind is likely to fold most of the time it will take a big hand from the big blind to call a raise off the small blind in my experience.

Early in a tournie i like to play very ABC and chip up gradually staying under the radar and if i show down a hand i like to show down the goods this will allow me to get more creative at later stages in the tournie and allow me more stealing and bluffing opportunites as i get deeper or if im short staked and need to steal to a few blinds to prop up my stack, and most importantly avoiding 50/50 situations early especially if i cant rebuy.

just my two pennies worth it has served me well in the tournies ive played so far, hope it helps.