You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

censorship

goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,533
edited October 2009 in Community Suggestions

Comments

• Options
    hogan2089hogan2089 Member Posts: 169
    edited August 2009
    look what happened on a myspace chat forum, without proper moderation, a young person took their life.
    I for one do not want an environment where the weaker members of the community feel threatened and are abused for the sake of so called civil liberties and the freedom of self expression.
    In my opinion sky do right by moderating the forums on here and should continue to do so in the same vein.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,024
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: censorship:
    look what happened on a myspace chat forum, without proper moderation, a young person took their life. I for one do not want an environment where the weaker members of the community feel threatened and are abused for the sake of so called civil liberties and the freedom of self expression. In my opinion sky do right by moderating the forums on here and should continue to do so in the same vein.
    Posted by hogan2089
    Top Post Steve. It's a little sad, but given what we've seen, here & elsewhere, Moderation is a pre-requisite these days.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In Response to censorship:
     CENSORSHIP   Where does it start and where does it end.  In the forties and fifties censorship in the cinema meant you couldn't see x rated films unless you were over eighteen. What did you see by today's standards nothing laughable so whats so different now.  Well some one is telling us what we can see and what we cant see. Does this infringe my and your human rights. Questionable so whats the answer.  I would suggest a site say the dead zone where players or anyone can air their views with out censorship on any subject they chose.  Sensitive people or one's easily offended dont go there. Not a option on this site is that censorship. comment welcomed.
    Posted by goldon
    Comment? I think most people - including you! - understand that there's a whole world of difference between censorship, & rules.

I help run a very big forum elsewhere, & you'd be horrified if you saw some of the stuff we have to Delete. Racist &  sexist comments, puerile trash talk, bullying, threats, grimming.

I've no idea what they get here at Sky Poker, but I for one don't want myself, or the Players here, to be exposed to that sort of nonsense.

That's not censorship, that's common sense.
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited August 2009
    i  agree  with  what  u  say    tikay   but  i was  on  my  hols  so  can some  tell  me   what   mick  jenn done  that  so  bad  look  forwarw  to  hearing  from  u  tikay
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i  agree  with  what  u  say    tikay   but  i was  on  my  hols  so  can some  tell  me   what   mick  jenn done  that  so  bad  look  forwarw  to  hearing  from  u  tikay
    Posted by scrumdown
    Like ringing 'phones, I can't  stand questions which remain unanaswered, but this is awkward, as Sky Poker have made it abundantly clear that they will not discuss individual cases.

What I can say is that is it not in Sky Poker's interest to chat-ban ANYONE, unless there is good reason. They NEVER want to, but sometimes they have to.

It's also very hard to get Chat-Banned, as there is a totting-up procedure. It starts with a quiet word, then a firmer word, followed by first warning, 2nd warning, da de da.

I'm hopeful that in due course, anyone who got themselves Chat-Banned will return, & become part of this ever-growing Community. 
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited August 2009
    thanks  for  your  reply  tikay  but   am  sill  no  wiser
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    thanks  for  your  reply  tikay  but   am  sill  no  wiser
    Posted by scrumdown
    Quite so. But it's a private matter between the Player & Sky Poker. So.....

a) It is nothing to do with you or me. We don't have a right to know!

b) It would be improper & unfair for Sky Poker to divulge the details, especially as the other party might not be in a position to put their side of the story.

When we sign up to a site like this, we have to agree to abide by the Terms & Conditions. If we do not, we have to suffer the consequences.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: censorship :   Good answer Tikay what I would expect from the wise old man of SKY  you know me  have to ask the question   the vote so far is in favour of censorship.  My question was where is the line drawn that peoples comments are not acceptable. What offends you may not necessarily offend me. Sticks and stones syndrome. If  Can has Toxic Waste written on it you dont open it. If the Can says fun and banter then contains Toxic waste then your point is made. I'm not trying to stir up trouble only interested in other player views on this subject.  There seams to have been a great deal of posts deleted lately leaving people not knowing at what point they stepped over this imaginary line. please define puerile talk for me. Tikay  thanks
    Posted by goldon
    There is not an imaginery line, it's a real line. The Rules are quite clear. Abusing other players is not permitted, nor are profanities.

"puerile" means juvenile, childish, immature. Inability to express a view strongly without resorting to swearing is puerile.

It has been suggested that "we are all over 18", so it's OK. In fact, it's quite the opposite. A sensible & adult Poster would not have to resort to swearing to convey their point forcibly. If I want to insult someone, I will - but it'll be a bit more adult that sticking an f-word in their face.

These, of course, are my personal views. I hope they reflect Sky Poker's position, though.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
        Hi Hogan 2089  I did hear about the case you mentioned but did not read the full story so I cant really comment on it only to the point that people take their lives for lots of differant reasons The one you mention of course not accepable. Others are a cry for help depression stress family problems drugs you see my point. This Site is for Adults and not open to school children or hormonial teenagers. I am not asking for site where people can just air nasty filth. What my point is. Sky suits remove what they think is unsuitable without asking others oppinion. How many threads have you visited where you find this post has been removed deemed unsuitable. Hang on I would have liked to make my own mind up about that. Then you find that thread stops. end of thread. What I'm Asking for is site like Area51 but called Dead Zone where they can store these posts so the likes of me and anyone interested can veiw the offending material and make up their own minds. Could be called Toxic Waste the name is important so people who are offended by this type of comments know not to go there. This Idea a NoN starter your comments welcomed.
    Posted by goldon
    You must not post comments that:

•    Make unfounded or unproved allegations (especially of wrongdoing) against a person, organisation or group.
    •    Contain swear words or language which may offend. This may include swear words with asterisks replacing some letters.
    •    Break the law, or encourage/support breaking the law.
    •    Advertise goods or services including other betting and gaming sites and affiliate websites.
    •    Include URLs of third party websites which may contain offensive or illegal material
    •    Are racist, sexist, homophobic, abusive or otherwise objectionable.
    •    Include personal details (yours or someone else's, such as phone numbers and addresses).
    •    Are made to appear as if they have been posted by someone else (impersonation).
    •    Are repeated more than once (spam).
    •    Deviate wildly from the topic of the thread or blog. 

Any threads, postings or remarks which could cause offence to other players for whatever reasons will not be tolerated within the Sky Poker Community, and all such threads will be removed. 

Please note that each user is solely responsible for the accuracy and authenticity of content that they post. We accept no liability for false, misleading, inaccurate, infringing or other actionable material.

As the community owners we reserve the right to monitor and remove any content that breaks the rules set above. Any user that repeatedly breaks these rules may be permanently excluded from participating within the community.

These are the official community house rules, i think theyre fairly clear about whats acceptable and what isnt.  I do think though perhaps if a post is pulled and somebody wants to know why then it could be clarified by a suit, i.e. which of the rules it broke.

Having a "toxic waste" section would be paramount to  sky  making these rules (for good reason) and then turning around and saying these things are unnacceptable on here, but if you want to see this garbage we've moved it here...a bizarre suggestion in my opinion.

You're not likely to find many forums on the internet which dont have rules, because without them it would soon develop into a maelstrom of nastiness.

good luck at the tables, steve

• Options
    edited August 2009

Steve's Post explained it far better than mine.

I'd hardly call those rules "imaginery".
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited August 2009
    "Freedom of speech" is not really relevant here on a forum. The forum operators, in this case Sky, allow us to access it and put in place a set of rules to which we must abide. If those rules are broken then the Moderators will take the necessary action, without needing to consult the regular users. It's the same on the majority of forums.

• Options
    edited August 2009
    "Freedom of speech" is not really relevant here on a forum. The forum operators, in this case Sky, allow us to access it and put in place a set of rules to which we must abide. If those rules are broken then the Moderators will take the necessary action, without needing to consult the regular users. It's the same on the majority of forums.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Not wrong Elliott.

It's a bit of a leap of imagination to go from the rules of a Poker Forum to Civil Liberties & Freedom of Speech!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
       Thank you Hogan 2089  The Sky Rules  or should I say [ Sky rules ] your post  leaves Sky to remove what they deem unsuitable and you have no say in it. Ok its their site and they can do what they want if you don't like it go. Is that what your saying, then no one can change anything so don't bother. Rules are there to abide by or to break. People who break them just a little are tarred with the same brush as the nasty morons. I don't get the chance to say hang on that was'nt so bad why was that deleted. Or, that was totally out of order he has just lost all street cred. I would like to know who the good guys are and who are the bad ones. Look at this latest incident players asking what's happened what's going on,  well ask the suits or Tikay, what happened ---sorry we cant comment on individual cases.  end of [ as Tikay would say ] Players on this site may not care about their civil liberties freedom of speech but I do. Im asking does anyone else care. So far the no's have it. comment welcomed.
    Posted by goldon
    Hi Goldon............im certainly not saying that "no one can change anything so dont bother", there have been several posts through the forum  where people have expressed displeasure in something and sky have listened to that and adjusted things accordingly, one example being the previous freerolls available.   Surely the suits have  given an answer to the recent incident by saying the person broke the rules.
    And please how can you break a the rules a  "little" ?
    If you want to find out how people really feel about your issues why not set up  a poll asking the pertinent questions?, but to be honest im thinking this whole thing is more to do with the recent incident and  talk of civil liberties and self expression are merely a smokescreen.
    regards , steve
  • Options
    edited August 2009
      Thank you Noseybonk  I can take it your a no then, happy to stay oblivious to whats going on in the community happy to let sky put words in your mouth and close your ears.  Not being rude, value your comments and asked for them.  If we all thought the same there would be no debate. As you may be aware I'm am out of my comfort zone in serious threads but felt the need to ask this question. So far I have been out Voted and as this is a democratic Forum I will bow to my peers.  The NO's have it. Don't want to make this thread a marathon gone on long enough. Thank you all for taking part. gl with your poker.
    Posted by goldon
    my last post was made oblivious to the fact that you had posted this.....good luck on the tables , steve