You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Analysing a hand from a players perspective

S1DEWINDERS1DEWINDER Member Posts: 30
edited June 2009 in The Sky Poker Tour
It's always very easy to analyse while all the cards are being shown. And I think on the whole its the best way because you can analyse multiple plays from mutliple players.

But would it be possible for a handful of hands each night to play a hand from one players perspective? - ie hide all of the other hole cards and analyse from there. You wouldn't do it too often, once every half hour maybe, but I think this would help players more because the analysts would have to actually go through what you should be considering - rather than saying "not that he knows it - but he's drawing dead".

Pokerstars do it on their TV show - "Sweat With (Player Name)" - I think its called.

What do we think?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,027
    edited June 2009

I like that, but it's up to the Producers.

I reckon they might let us try it, but technically, it's "awkward", due to console/software issues.

Still, if we don't ask......

It'll make life interesting for the Analysts, too!

Good to see all these ideas coming through.
  • Options
    annie_dukeannie_duke Member Posts: 545
    edited June 2009
    they used to do that on late night poker if i remember correctly
  • Options
    kirstiikirstii Member Posts: 787
    edited June 2009
    They did it on the EPT show that was on a few weeks back, not once did the analyst get the other guys holding right! So it was brilliant entertainment, also you got to hear what his thoughts were on each street during the hand, great stuff.
  • Options
    YoungUnYoungUn Member Posts: 422
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Analysing a hand from a players perspective:
    It's always very easy to analyse while all the cards are being shown. And I think on the whole its the best way because you can analyse multiple plays from mutliple players. But would it be possible for a handful of hands each night to play a hand from one players perspective? - ie hide all of the other hole cards and analyse from there. You wouldn't do it too often, once every half hour maybe, but I think this would help players more because the analysts would have to actually go through what you should be considering - rather than saying "not that he knows it - but he's drawing dead". Pokerstars do it on their TV show - "Sweat With (Player Name)" - I think its called. What do we think?
    Posted by S1DEWINDER
    Fanastic idea. This goes hand-in-hand with what I asked about shows for the more advanced players on the site, but the good news is that this should appeal to everyone rather than just the more advanced players. It is also easy to make competitions out of, the presenters can ask the viewers to e-mail in with what they think they had and give out prizes for the winners.

What you were thinking of was on the EPT Broadcasts, and you got it right it is "Sweat with (Player Name)".
  • Options
    RICHORFORDRICHORFORD Member Posts: 5,571
    edited June 2009
    I always thought we should do something like this, but it very much depends on the studio technology. I'd actually like to have the player in the studio playing the game live and getting their comments and thought process as they play the hands, rather like those video tutorials on CardRunners.

We could ask them constantly what hand they put their opponents on, and then every now and then reveal to the audience at home what the opponent actually has.

And of course we could do this with Sky Poker players and/or professional players.

All these suggestions get read by the powers that be, so keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited June 2009
    I can see it now.

Orford: He really should fold at this point.
    Player: Calls, takes down pot.

Orford: There is no doubt, he needs to put in a big raise.
    Player: Folds. Villain shows straight flush.

Orford: He is clearly up against a big pocket pair at this point.
    Player: Moves all-in. Villain folds, showing 72 offsuit.

Orford: He really should check the flop, bet out on the turn and fold on the river.
    Player: Bets the flop, checks the turn, raises river, takes down pot.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Analysing a hand from a players perspective:
    I can see it now. Orford: He really should fold at this point. Player: Calls, takes down pot. Orford: There is no doubt, he needs to put in a big raise. Player: Folds. Villain shows straight flush. Orford: He is clearly up against a big pocket pair at this point. Player: Moves all-in. Villain folds, showing 72 offsuit. Orford: He really should check the flop, bet out on the turn and fold on the river. Player: Bets the flop, checks the turn, raises river, takes down pot.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Lol- good point!

On second thoughts, let's keep the mucked cards a secret shall we?
  • Options
    IAMALLIN2IAMALLIN2 Member Posts: 561
    edited June 2009
    I agree with the "sweat with" idea but lets make it a little more interesting and put in the percentages along side the hands.

Norm/Ed and Trevor would be in paradise...

Also how about showing the river card occasionally to see if the player made a good lay down etc
    Sorta this is what u could have won!
  • Options
    YoungUnYoungUn Member Posts: 422
    edited June 2009
    Also how about showing the river card occasionally to see if the player made a good lay down etc Sorta this is what u could have won!
    Posted by IAMALLIN2

Rabbit-hunting is baaaaaaaaad.
  • Options
    IAMALLIN2IAMALLIN2 Member Posts: 561
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Analysing a hand from a players perspective : -1 Rabbit-hunting is baaaaaaaaad.
    Posted by YoungUn
    They do it on the world poker tour occasionally
    Makes good TV but perhaps not on the players side.

• Options
    S1DEWINDERS1DEWINDER Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2009
    I always thought we should do something like this, but it very much depends on the studio technology. I'd actually like to have the player in the studio playing the game live and getting their comments and thought process as they play the hands, rather like those video tutorials on CardRunners. We could ask them constantly what hand they put their opponents on, and then every now and then reveal to the audience at home what the opponent actually has. And of course we could do this with Sky Poker players and/or professional players. All these suggestions get read by the powers that be, so keep 'em coming!
    Posted by RichOrford
    You'd have to run the show on delay then wouldn't you? If it was 'live' the players on the studio guests table would be able to see what the guest was playing.

Also, talking through a hand in the time given for each play wouldn't be long enough - the clock would run down too fast.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Analysing a hand from a players perspective : You'd have to run the show on delay then wouldn't you? If it was 'live' the players on the studio guests table would be able to see what the guest was playing. Also, talking through a hand in the time given for each play wouldn't be long enough - the clock would run down too fast.
    Posted by S1DEWINDER
    No, I would envisage this only for pre-recorded shows based on sngs. We'd play the sng in real time and get the player to constantly talk out loud his thought process. He's playing like you or I would at home on a laptop with no view of anyone else's cards.

Occasionally we could flash up a graphic of what his opponent is holding but it would be purely for the viewers at home and we wouldn't make any reference to it to the player so as not to influence his play or give him an unfair advantage.

The sng would be played out during an afternoon and then shown on a later evening.
  • Options
    maccolmaccol Member Posts: 55
    edited June 2009
    Rich I realise your role is presenter and not analyst but how much do you reckon the studio commentary and analysis is influenced by seeing all the hole cards?

100%, 10% or somewhere in between
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rich I realise your role is presenter and not analyst but how much do you reckon the studio commentary and analysis is influenced by seeing all the hole cards? 100%, 10% or somewhere in between
    Posted by maccol
    Hi Maccol,

Definitely one for the likes of Tikay, that question.

All I do know is that, although we sometimes point out what players would have hit had they still been in the hand, we strive not to justify or 'criticise' decisions based on results. We try to focus on only the information the player in question has been given from betting patterns, previous history etc, rather than our birds-eye view of proceedings.

I think subconsciously there may be a tiny influence in seeing all the cards but personally I've never heard one of the analysts say "Well, the fella with the Queens should fold on the button pre-flop because the big blind has Kings!"
  • Options
    CowgomooCowgomoo Member Posts: 749
    edited June 2009
    Can someone on th team respond to the play your hands request thread.