You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Weekend footy betting (19th/20th)

silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
edited February 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat
AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

I was nearly done with typing everything up when that stupid pop up came up AGAIN & I couldn't do anything but close down & start again. PLEASE CAN SOMEONE SORT IT OUT!!!!!

Right then, back to business & it's 2 bets to start with for me for tomorrow

Main Acca:

Leeds/Norwich - Both to score @ 8/13
Swansea to beat Doncaster (H) @ 4/7
Peterborough/Tranmere - Both to score @ 8/15
Livingston (-1) to beat Stenhousemuir (H) @ 8/11

These 4 pay a decent 11/2 so my usual tenner goes here this weekend 

Leeds are the leading goalscorers in the Championship so far with 57 from 31 games but they also leak goals too. In those 31 games they've conceded 47 which is the joint worst defensive record in the top half of the division (shared with Leicester). It wouldn't be quite so bad if the majority of those goals were conceded on the road but 24 of them have come at Elland Road. Norwich are the visitors to Yorkshire this weekend & they've got plenty of fire power themselves having scored 49 in their 31, of which 20 have come away from Carrow Road. I wouldn't want to try & call a winner here as quite honestly it really could go either way but I definitely fancy a few goals though.
Swansea come into this game on the back of a fantastic comeback win at Middlesbrough last weekend. After being 3-1 down with 30 minutes to play they managed to steal a 3-4 win in the last minute to take the points. They're really strong at home too & have the best home defensive record in the division having only conceded 6 from 15. They were beaten on their own patch last time out in the derby game against Cardiff but they'll certainly fancy their chances of getting maximum points here. Doncaster come into this game on the back of some terrible form. They've won 1 & lost 5 of their last 6 league games, the latest of which was a 0-6 spanking at home to a rejuvenated Ipswich side in midweek. Donny are flirting with a relegation dogfight at the moment & although I think they're certainly strong enough to avoid relegation they'll have to wait until their next game to start getting the points to pull them away.
If you'd backed both teams to score in every league game that Peterborough have played this season you'd be showing a nice little profit. In their 29 games so far both sides have scored in 22 of them! Depending on where you watch the games from at London Road this season you'd be paying £20 or £25 for the privilege (which imo is a little steep for league 1 football) but you'd certainly have got value for money. The 15 games played there so far have seen a whopping 77 goals scored! That averages at over 5 goals per game!!! They play host to a Tranmere side who have really picked up of late with 3 wins & 2 draws in their last 6. They've scored 6 in their last 2 so they'll fancy there chances in Cambridgeshire. 
I don't usually bet much on the Scottish leagues but this season you can't go far wrong with backing Livingston, particularly when they're at home. They've played 10 at Almondvale so far & have yet to taste defeat there. Tomorrow they entertain rock bottom Stenhousemuir who have only 1 win & 5 goals scored in 9 on the road so far. They've already travelled to Livingston once this season where they went down 4-1. They general price of 2/7 for a home win here doesn't have a huge amount of appeal even as part of an acca, but giving them a 1 goal handicap is certainly worth doing particularly when you consider that Stenhousemuir have conceded 19 on the road so far.

Massive Long Shot Acca:

Man Utd/Crawley - Both to score @ 7/4
Ipswich to beat Hull (H) @ 11/10
Millwall to beat Middlesbrough (H) @ 11/10
Huddersfield to beat Bournemouth (A) @ 19/10
Charlton to beat Exeter (H) @ 2/3
Aldershot to beat Northampton (A) @ 5/2

These 6 potentially pay a whopping 204/1 so only a quid & small change on here for some extra fun.

Who said cup romance had died. Little Crawley Town have suddenly found 9000 fans to take up to Old Trafford for this game & they'll go there with absolutely no fear whatsoever. If you're doing a long shot acca this weekend then this is certainly worthy of inclusion. Who could forget Havant & Waterlooville's trip to Anfield a couple of years ago. Not only did they score twice but they actually lead Liverpool twice before finally losing 4-2. United are no strangers to cup upsets either as then non league Exeter held them to a 0-0  draw at OT a few years back. I can't see that happening this time but with Sir red nose making a fair few changes to his line up Crawley might just nick a goal.
Both Ipswich & Hull are in decent form of late but I fancy the Tractor Boys to nick this one at Portman Road. Paul Jewell seems to have turned things around in East Anglia with 4 wins & a draw in their last 5, the last of which was the 6-0 thrashing of Doncaster on their own patch in midweek. Hull are also unbeaten in their last 6 themselves but they're a bit more vulnerable on the road & with a price like this on offer it's a must as part of any long shot bet this weekend imo.
This price on Millwall is massive & I can't figure out why. Maybe I've missed something? It's their home form that's put Millwall in a position to make a push for a play off spot this season with only 3 defeats in 15 there so far. They've won their last 6 at the New Den conceding only 1 goal in the process. Middlesbrough are the visitors tomorrow & to say they haven't travelled well this season is a bit of an understatement. In their 15 away from the Riverside so far they've won only 3 & lost 10. They've lost their last 2 coming into this game. Last weekend they were 3-1 up with 30 minutes to play at home to Swansea only to lose 3-4 & on their last trip to London they lost 1-0 to fellow relegation battlers Crystal Palace so as I said, this is a huge price on Millwall to get the points here.
The main reason I'm backing Huddersfield here is because of the price but if I'm honest I think this is the game that is most likely to let me down. Both sides are in fantastic form coming into this game. Bournemouth have just 1 defeat in their last 10 in the league whilst Huddersfield are unbeaten in 8. Bournemouth don't lose too many at Dean Court having only lost 2 from 15 there so far plus they also beat league leaders Brighton there only a few weeks back. Huddersfield have won their last 2 on the road, the last of which was a 4-1 win at Exeter who are another side who don't lose too many on home soil. As I said, this is the riskiest pick of the lot here but I simply can't ignore that price for a team who are capable of beating any side in this division.
I don't often include odds on bets in my long shots but I thought Charlton were worthy of inclusion to help bump up the potential payout. Their 2-1 defeat at Hartlepool in midweek was their first under Chris Powell & they'll be looking to bounce back here. Exeter are a side who don't travel too well with only 4 wins on the road so far. In the 3 previous meetings between these sides Charlton have won 2 & drawn 1 (which came in Devon last season).
On the face of it backing Aldershot to win at Northampton is a bit of a strange one as they're not particularly great on the road whilst Northampton have only lost 2 at home so far. However I'm a believer in bogey teams & it appears that Northampton might have found theirs. The 3 previous meetings between these two sides all have one thing in common. Aldershot have won the lot. To be fair Aldershot are in pretty decent form themselves with only 1 defeat in their last 8 in the league which is the same for Northampton. Both sides have drawn too many games recently & at this price & given the recent history between the two I fancy Aldershot to break that run of draws.

I'll probably have one or two more bets in the morning so I'll post those up as well.

Good luck if you;re having a go peeps

Jay

Comments

• Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited February 2011
    In Response to Weekend footy betting (19th/20th):
    On the face of it backing Aldershot to win at Northampton is a bit of a strange one as they're not particularly great on the road whilst Northampton have only lost 2 at home so far. However I'm a believer in bogey teams & it appears that Northampton might have found theirs. The 3 previous meetings between these two sides all have one thing in common. Aldershot have won the lot. To be fair Aldershot are in pretty decent form themselves with only 1 defeat in their last 8 in the league which is the same for Northampton. Both sides have drawn too many games recently & at this price & given the recent history between the two I fancy Aldershot to break that run of draws. I'll probably have one or two more bets in the morning so I'll post those up as well. Good luck if you;re having a go peeps Jay
    Posted by silentbob
    You are very right about them being our bogey team. We want to beat them so bad it's unreal. I can't see them winning though. I am expecting a good performance and result from Northampton after the 3-3 debacle in midweek. Our manager, Ian Sampson, will send them out with a rocket up their a**e on saturday. I think Aldershot could be in for a hiding! Either that or a 0-0.

Good luck though.
  • Options
    shazallinshazallin Member Posts: 558
    edited February 2011
    Football FA Cup Chelsea v Everton Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 12:30 Yes @ evens
    Football Npower Championship Reading v Watford Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 15:00 Yes @ 4/6
    Football Npower Championship Preston v Q.P.R. Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 15:00 Yes @ 5/6
    Football Npower Championship Portsmouth v Barnsley Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 15:00 Yes @ 8/11
    Football Npower Championship Nottm. Forest v Cardiff Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 15:00 Yes @ 10/11
    Football Npower Championship Crystal Palace v Sheff. Utd Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 15:00 Yes @ 10/11
    Football Npower Championship Swansea v Doncaster Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 15:00 Yes @ evens
    Football Npower Championship Ipswich v Hull Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 15:00 Yes @ 10/11
    Football Npower Championship Millwall v Middlesbro' Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 15:00 Yes @ 10/11
    Football Npower League 2 Morecambe v Oxford Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 15:00 Yes @ 5/6
    Football Npower League 2 Northampton v Aldershot Town Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 15:00 Yes @ 5/6
    Football Npower League 2 Wycombe v Acc. Stanley Both Teams to Score 19/02/2011 15:00 Yes @ 5/6
  • Options
    hiandri23hiandri23 Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2011
    1. Bristol Rov v Oldham Oldham @ 5/4
    2. Morecambe v Oxford Oxford @ 15/8
    3. Cheltenham v Barnet Cheltenham @ 5/6
    4. Stoke v Brighton Brighton @ 5/1
    5. Man Utd v Crawley Yes @ 5/4 both team to score thats a good shout silentbob
  • Options
    ajbrown7ajbrown7 Member Posts: 121
    edited February 2011
    Lucky to still be in my accumulator thanks to Leicester scoring in injury time but hopefully it's a good sign. 9 teams with a £5 stake gives returns of around £290:

Leicester (win)
    Birmingham
    QPR
    Reading
    Swansea
    Charlton
    Peterborough
    Wycombe
    Livingston

good luck to everyone having a bet!
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    edited February 2011
    £2.50 double

Birmingham X Sheff Wed  3/1
    West Brom   2  Wolves     7/2
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    edited February 2011
    AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

I was nearly done with typing everything up when that stupid pop up came up AGAIN & I couldn't do anything but close down & start again.

lol
    I hate it when that happens and with the size of your post fair play for doin it again - so frustrating
  • Options
    bandinibandini Member Posts: 1,802
    edited February 2011
    6 draws in the SPL.

Can feel it.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bl0ody Livingston. 2-0 up & cruising & then they go and get someone sent off to let Stenhousemuir back in.

GRRRRRRRRR.
  • Options
    bandinibandini Member Posts: 1,802
    edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (19th/20th):
    6 draws in the SPL. Can feel it.
    Posted by bandini
    Close, lol
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A few games today but also some difficult choices.

I've gone for a four way for this afternoon

Man City/Notts Co - Over 2.5 goals @ 2/5
    Leyton Orient/Arsenal - Over 2.5 goals @ 1/2
    Celtic/Rangers - Both to score @ 5/6
    Bayer Leverkusen to beat Stuttgart (H) @ 6/10

These 4 pay 5/1

City really should beat Notts Co at home. Mancini is under massive pressure to deliver some silverware & the FA Cup probably represents their best chance. There's no market for City to win by 2 or more but you can get 5/4 on them winning by 3 or more. The problem with that bet is that this is a cup game & strange things can happen. County won 2-1 at Sunderland in the 3rd round whilst City managed to get past Leicester 4-2 in a replay in the last round. City are capable of scoring 3 or 4 themselves today but I think it's too risky to back them to win by 3 or more. By backing 3 goals or more in the game it doesn't matter if they scrape through 2-1 or win 5-0.
    On paper Arsenal should see off Leyton Orient quite comfortably but again, this is the cup so you have to allow for that. Arsenal have struggled past lower league opposition in the last 2 rounds needing a replay to see off Leeds 3-1 & then scraping past Huddersfield in a narrow 2-1 win at the Emirates in the last round. I still expect them to go through here but Orient will make them work hard for the win & are certainly capable of sneaking a goal themselves. With that in mind the 2/7 for a straight Arsenal win has zero appeal whilst the 4/6 on offer for Arsenal to win by 2 or more is too risky for such a short price. By backing the overs market a 1-2 win for Arsenal is win-win for us punters.
    You could make arguments for backing a lot of markets at Celtic today but in a game that could really go either way it's all about trying to find the safest bet. Both sides have plenty of goals in them as they've scored 109 goals between them in the league so far. Even recent history gives us no real clues as to what's more likely to happen but with Rangers needing to close the gap on the leaders it's fair to say they'll be looking to get the win today & with Celtic being the hosts they won't want to lose on their on turf. It should be an open game & backing both to score seems to be the safest bet.
    I don't usually bet much on the foreign games but this looked like a bit of a gem. Leverkusen are currently third in the Bundesliga on goal difference from Bayern Munich but they've also played a game less. Maximum points at home to a struggling Stuttgart side are a must for them this afternoon. They won 4-1 in Stuttgart back in September & generally have a decent record against them too winning 4 of the last 6 meetings.

Good luck if you're having a go today

Jay