You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

HEREFORD SPREAD OPINIONS PLEASE

BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
edited March 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat
BROUGHT DISTANCES AT HEREFORD TODAY AT 44.5 FIRST RACE DOWN WINNING DISTANCE 28L

BEING OFFORD 20L WINN SETTLEMENT NOW SHOULD I SNAP IT UP OR LET IT RUN

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2011
    im now at 32l after 2 races offer still 20l win. the next is a 3 runner chase and the ground is much softer than forcast so im carrying on.

im new to spread betting and really enjoying it, showing about a 20% profit on my original deposit but im struggling to know when to settle bets keep either going to soon or to late and missing out on bigger wins than im getting

any advice or formulas from ore experienced spreadders would be appreciated
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited March 2011

Would love to be able to get involved in something like this. 

I haven't a scooby though, probably a good thing. I've started watching ATR all afternoon now, even when I've not had a bet.

There was a race earlier 3 horses all went off around 2 or 3 to 1, tight betting market, and one won by like 20 lengths without even trying, how can that happen !!

Good luck.....
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    36 lengths after 3 races offer now  only 13l win
    still not settling as the 4 races left i felt were the ones i was going to get most winning distances in
  • Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,313
    edited March 2011

Haven't a clue on spread betting but if it means you are in profit for every length over 44.5 for the whole meeting I would think you carry on.

Does it mean that at the mo anything under 64.5 on the day you would be better off taking the settlementt now.

See I said I hadnt a clue but would like to hear the outcome so I can learn

• Options
    edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: HEREFORD SPREAD OPINIONS PLEASE:
    Would love to be able to get involved in something like this.  I haven't a scooby though, probably a good thing. I've started watching ATR all afternoon now, even when I've not had a bet. There was a race earlier 3 horses all went off around 2 or 3 to 1, tight betting market, and one won by like 20 lengths without even trying, how can that happen !! Good luck.....
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    agree the standard at the moment is really poor as mention in the  thread yesterday which seems to mean winners are so difficult to find they are either odds on or total surprises which is why in only doing the srpeads at the moment, keeping the powder dry for the national meeting and the start of the flat which i enjoy much more than national hunt
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Haven't a clue on spread betting but if it means you are in profit for every length over 44.5 for the whole meeting I would think you carry on. Does it mean that at the mo anything under 64.5 on the day you would be better off taking the settlementt now. See I said I hadnt a clue but would like to hear the outcome so I can learn
    Posted by vaigret
    yes thats about it appart from the most you can win or loose on one national hunt races is 30 lengths
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Badboy, I will monitor your progress and good luck.

Looks like you on a winner at mo
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    2 lengths in 3.40 I reckon
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    38.5 lengths after 4 races offer now at 11.5 lengths

the favorite in the next looks the easyist winner of the day so in still letting the bet run. my offer is now half the best i had earlier but the 30 lengths on offer in each race is just to tempting when i think about hitting the settle button
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    AARGH looked like it was going to win 20l + the the jockey started thinking about the handicap ratings and eased it and only won by 3 lengths
    now the offer is only 6.5 lengths which kinda perfectly sums up where i am with spread betting at the moment from settling at a 20l win to looking at a return of less than a quater of that
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    9 lengths in the second last which means 50.25lengths so far offer back up to  11 lenghs which means i need 5+ lengths in the last to better the offer gonna keep it going as the downside is far outweighed by the possible upside of a lagre winning distance
  • Options
    kaymackaymac Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2011
    AARGH looked like it was going to win 20l + the the jockey started thinking about the handicap ratings and eased it and only won by 3 lengths now the offer is only 6.5 lengths which kinda perfectly sums up where i am with spread betting at the moment from settling at a 20l win to looking at a return of less than a quater of that
    Posted by BADBOY985
    I don't know much about spread betting, except that it can be very costly when you lose, but can you not hedge the bet, as in have an opposing bet to cover your potential loss?? Or is this not possible??
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ended up winning the bet by 7.5 lengths in total will post my final thoughts on the bet later as have to go out now please feel free to leave any advice or opinions as the will be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well done on winning even if you could have got more early on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    After looking at the meeting in full i should obvoiusly cashed in after 2 races but the chance of making up to 30 lengths a race always coulds my judgement. i think in future i will look at setting myself a win target and settle when i hit that also possibly setting myself a loss settle mark to protect against losses
  • Options
    Any2SuitedAny2Suited Member Posts: 1,240
    edited March 2011
    Best bit of advice  i could give you you have just said, set a win margin and a point where you have to take an agreed amount of loss and settle your bet regardless. Unless of course you're betting on a market and you have already covered your bet with no downside!! A case in point the rugby world cup points market in south africa, they set the market about 200 points too low,if you bought high points you werte laughing but low points suicidal.I went high points and after the 1st round of group matches i couldn't lose after they changed the spread, so it was just a case of higher winning margin and wait for the pay out!