You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How Much Should I be putting in my account and then playing at a table with?

dominon105dominon105 Member Posts: 26
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
Alright guys

I am planning to restart playing poker once more.  I am curious to know how much should I consider putting to my account making my bankroll and then sitting down at a table with?

I am planning to start at the bottom level, the 2/4p tables..  I know you can sit down with the minimum £1.60 or the maximum £10..  But if I sit down with the maximum I need to put more in than a £10 in my account to begin with...

I know a lot of people talk about perctenages to dow with their bankroll..  But percentages to me is another language lol

Comments

• Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited October 2009
    A general rule is 5% of ur bankroll (sorry about the % link). 

If u wanna sit with £10 u really need around £200 in ur bankroll.  If u load with £4 then £80 would make the £4 be 5%

It depends how much u can afford but may i suggest that u invest what u can and then look at the Double Your Money sit and go's as well as the cash tables as they may provide u with greater stability for ur bankroll.
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited October 2009
    Rules of bankroll don't really apply when you are starting off. Better idea is to set your deposit limit to what you can comfortably afford to lose every day. Deposit that and play with it. As you improve the deposits will become less frequent and eventually you will have a bankroll. Then follow Phil's advice set to your roll.
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited October 2009
    Never, ever, ever, invest what you can afford. I can afford £1000 but id hate to lose it. Only invest an amount you would not miss. Remember the money you deposit is not yours any more until you cash it in, so make sure it is completely excess money that if you lose it would have absolutely no adverse bearing on your personal finances. Think of it as when you give a donation to a charity - you wouldnt dip into your housekeeping / mortgage / utility money to donate so dont ever ever ever do it on gambling sites , but thats just my opinion.
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: How Much Should I be putting in my account and then playing at a table with?:
    Never, ever, ever, invest what you can afford. I can afford £1000 but id hate to lose it. Only invest an amount you would not miss. Remember the money you deposit is not yours any more until you cash it in, so make sure it is completely excess money that if you lose it would have absolutely no adverse bearing on your personal finances. Think of it as when you give a donation to a charity - you wouldnt dip into your housekeeping / mortgage / utility money to donate so dont ever ever ever do it on gambling sites , but thats just my opinion.
    Posted by loonytoons
    Do you do loans by any chance????

Loony is right of course but I did say comfortably lose.
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: How Much Should I be putting in my account and then playing at a table with?:
    In Response to Re: How Much Should I be putting in my account and then playing at a table with? : Do you do loans by any chance???? Loony is right of course but I did say comfortably lose.
    Posted by elsadog
    sorry Alan i was typing this when you replied so didnt see your post, but your right as well. it just annoys me when people say 'what you can afford to lose' as i think this is wrong
  • Options
    DraigDraig Member Posts: 231
    edited October 2009
    Start with £20, £10 max down and £10 rebuy.

When you hit £20 from your £10 cash it in. You now have a bankroll of £30.

Rinse, repeat.

Now you can apply the 5% rule before you move up limits.

2% on MTT.

This way if your good, you make money and move up, otherwise, your having fun and learning and the most you have lost is £20, which I would hope you can afford. If you cannot afford to lose £20, play freerolls or play money until you get a job, and have some fun.

If you can afford more than that apply the 5%/2% rule from the start and utilise double your money as well as cash.

Good luck.
  • Options
    NICONNICON Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2009
    My advice is stick on what you won't miss, say £20 or £30 and then have a bit of fun with it.

I wouldn't sugest playing cash tables with this i would as has been suggested go for some 6 seater DYM sng's & some satalites into the bigger tourneys. Not because this will particularly help with bankroll managment or any of that but because you sound like your playing for fun and these are a great way to get value out of a small deposit.

The satalites are 1 in 5 so you have a reasonable chance of getting into bigger tournaments and if you can get 2 tourneys for your £2.40 then thats great value for a hobby player trying to improve. Also if you make it into the cash in a larger tourney then your bankroll is helped tremendously

A few ideas from each of the posts for you mull over an decide how to spend your BR :)

It's really all down to what you want to spend and what you want to get from it. If it's some fun hours playing cards for recreation then i would def go the tourney route as you will get more play for your pound 
  • Options
    KaidusKaidus Member Posts: 159
    edited October 2009
    I would generally sit down with 100 big blinds at a cash table, so at 2p/4p that would be £4. General rule of thumb is that you should have somewhere between 20-50 buy ins (so 20-50 x £4). I'm a bankroll nit so I would prefer to have the security of 50, some people are happy with 20. So I would say have a bankroll of £100-£200 (assuming you are playing No Limit, rules are different for Fixed Limit)

Also, I kinda disagree with people who say "only deposit what you're happy to lose" cos if you're happy to lose it, then there's no discipline and you might not care. I would say have a set amount you're willing to play with and is for poker only. Set that figure in your mind and stick to it.

One final thing, a bankroll is the money you have allocated to spend on poker and poker only. It does not have to be in your Sky Poker account, eg I have a £300 bankroll. I have £100 in my Sky account and £200 in my bank account. This can stop tilt as the small amount of time it takes to re-deposit can calm you down. (the figures in this post may not be accurate)
  • Options
    NICONNICON Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2009
    I would generally sit down with 100 big blinds at a cash table, so at 2p/4p that would be £4. General rule of thumb is that you should have somewhere between 20-50 buy ins (so 20-50 x £4). I'm a bankroll nit so I would prefer to have the security of 50, some people are happy with 20. So I would say have a bankroll of £100-£200 (assuming you are playing No Limit, rules are different for Fixed Limit) Also, I kinda disagree with people who say "only deposit what you're happy to lose" cos if you're happy to lose it, then there's no discipline and you might not care. I would say have a set amount you're willing to play with and is for poker only. Set that figure in your mind and stick to it. One final thing, a bankroll is the money you have allocated to spend on poker and poker only. It does not have to be in your Sky Poker account, eg I have a £300 bankroll. I have £100 in my Sky account and £200 in my bank account. This can stop tilt as the small amount of time it takes to re-deposit can calm you down. (the figures in this post may not be accurate)
    Posted by Kaidus
    LOL i love the bracketed disclaimer at the end Kaidus
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited October 2009
    Just to agree with what the majority are saying. Start off in either £1 or £2 MTT's or Double your money sit n go's.. this way if you play 5% of your bankroll (20x your stake) then you are only putting on between £20-£40 as opposed to the £80 to start on cash. The skill level on 2p/4p i generally awful as you would expect, so there is money to be won there, but risk reward factor (vs people who can play any2) is not worth it.
    If you work up to £80 and fancy a go on cash by all means go for it, but if i were you i would stick to STT and MTT games for the first month or so

P.S on sky you can only sit with 100x BB so £4 is max sitdown on 2p/4p.
  • Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited October 2009
    I think Kaidus has got this about right. You need to be putting in an amount of money that won't make you uncomfortable playing. I always stick about £50 into an account and pretend it was spent on a night out on the town with some food and a drink or two. That way I wake up in the morning, don't have the hangover and have a poker account ready to roll ;)

There's been some good advice in the posts above anyway, so all that remains is for me to wish you a happy and profitable time at the tables. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just to agree with what the majority are saying. Start off in either £1 or £2 MTT's or Double your money sit n go's.. this way if you play 5% of your bankroll (20x your stake) then you are only putting on between £20-£40 as opposed to the £80 to start on cash. The skill level on 2p/4p i generally awful as you would expect, so there is money to be won there, but risk reward factor (vs people who can play any2) is not worth it. If you work up to £80 and fancy a go on cash by all means go for it, but if i were you i would stick to STT and MTT games for the first month or so P.S on sky you can only sit with 100x BB so £4 is max sitdown on 2p/4p.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    The variance in MTT's means you shouldn't really put 5% of your 'roll on 1 MTT, more like 2%. I don't play DYM so I don't know what bankroll requirements are needed there, I think 5% might be good there because it is less variance.

As a minimum overall though, to give the OP a figure, if they are gonna play seriously rather than "having a gamble" on the odd friday night, I would use £50 as a bare minimum and play a mix of 2p/4p cash and £1 DYM/SNG. I'd play £1 MTTs when I was up to £100 and jump levels for cash and SNG/DYM when I feel comfortable.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: How Much Should I be putting in my account and then playing at a table with? : LOL i love the bracketed disclaimer at the end Kaidus
    Posted by NICON
    Yeah, I wish I had that much as a bankroll!!
  • Options
    NorbitNorbit Member Posts: 490
    edited October 2009
    Just to agree with what the majority are saying. Start off in either £1 or £2 MTT's or Double your money sit n go's.. this way if you play 5% of your bankroll (20x your stake) then you are only putting on between £20-£40 as opposed to the £80 to start on cash. The skill level on 2p/4p i generally awful as you would expect, so there is money to be won there, but risk reward factor (vs people who can play any2) is not worth it. If you work up to £80 and fancy a go on cash by all means go for it, but if i were you i would stick to STT and MTT games for the first month or so P.S on sky you can only sit with 100x BB so £4 is max sitdown on 2p/4p.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Thats what i thought, but 2/4p is £10 buy in, 4/8p is £10 buy in and 5/10p is £20 buy in, 10/20p and above is were its back to normal at 100x bb buy in.
  • Options
    FlutNushFlutNush Member Posts: 371
    edited October 2009

Sounds simple, but deposit what you're prepared to lose. 

If losing a tenner would send you loopy, deprive you of sleep and occupy your thoughts, then you need to let that govern your decision about what stakes to play. 

If you spend most evenings lighting your Monte Cristo Number 5's with smouldering £50 notes retrieved from the marble hearth of your palatial living room, then you can probably afford to lose more.

Keep notching the initial deposit amount back until you're not even sparing it a thought.

Hope that helps.

• Options
    BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited October 2009
    a well made point flutnush, with your usual wit and style.
    I know a few people on the community touted you to produce a blog, so I hope that is something you would consider...

Ray
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks Ray, and anyone else that put my name forward.

I was actually on holiday for 2 weeks and missed the calls for blogs entirely. I might well have taken you up on the offer otherwise. Thanks again for your kind words.

• Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2009
    Thanks Ray, and anyone else that put my name forward. I was actually on holiday for 2 weeks and missed the calls for blogs entirely. I might well have taken you up on the offer otherwise. Thanks again for your kind words.
    Posted by FlutNush
    hi mate,im just curious to know how much did you enjoy monte carlo?  
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: How Much Should I be putting in my account and then playing at a table with? : hi mate,im just curious to know how much did you enjoy monte carlo?  
    Posted by dav1964
    You're close. It was a fortnight in Legoland. Sadly...
  • Options
    nirvana29nirvana29 Member Posts: 489
    edited October 2009
    my tactic is to bring as littlea as possable to the table at a time, then when ur all in, u know u havnt lost the shirt off ur back and you can get straight back into it.