You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Weekend footy betting (6th/7th)

silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
edited August 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat
As Meg Ryan once said.......YES! YES! YES! YES! YES YES!

The footy season is back & with it the opportunity to make a few quid. This is the first time in years that I've really been looking forward to the new season. Maybe it's something to do with the fact that we've finally got a proper manager who won't tolerate sub standard performances & we might actually win a few games this year!

As ever though the early weeks of the season are dangerous for us punters so my first piece of advice is to tread carefully. There's no form to go by (pre-season form ain't worth diddly squat) & you never know who'll start slower than a three legged tortoise. Having said that if you're prepared to take a little gamble in the early weeks then there is some value to be had.

So far I've had just the one bet for tomorrow. I might add an extra one in the morning.

Main Acca:

Huddersfield to beat Bury (H) @ 8/13
MK Dons to beat Hartlepool (H) @ 8/11
Sheff Weds to beat Rochdale (H) @ 10/11
Southend to beat Hereford (H) @ 10/11

These 4 pay a very decent 9/1 so well worth a dabble.

Huddersfield lost out in the play off final in May & I've backed them to go one better this time round & clinch promotion at the very least. They've lost a couple of key players in Lee Peltier & Anthony Pilkington in the summer but Lee Clark has also made some good signings too. They've been really strong at the Galpharm in the last couple of years & they should get off to a good start at home to newly promoted Bury. The Shakers are a small fish in a bigger pond this season & even with probable goals from Ryan Lowe it's gonna be a season of struggle for them. They'll do well to avoid an immediate return to league 2 but they're gonna have to wait for their first points of the season.
MK Dons are another side who lost out in the play offs in May & the end of season lottery may be their best chance of promotion again this time round. Like everyone they've lost a few players but they have also signed a couple of decent players for this level. They were decent at home last season & they should get off to a good start against a Hartlepool side who ain't the best travellers. Hartlepool finished in 16th spot last time round & whilst they should have enough to stay clear of any real relegation threat again this time round they're unlikely to be anywhere near the top 6 either. 
There's a lot of pressure on Wednesday this year to not only clinch promotion back to the Championship but also to do it as champions. They've made some decent signings this summer & should get off to a flyer against Rochdale at Hillsborough. IMO Rochdale are in for a season of struggle this year. They've lost manager Keith Hill to Barnsley in the summer & he's also taken key defenders Matt Done & Scott Wiseman with him. They over achieved last term by narrowly missing out on the play offs & I just can't see them getting anything out of their trip to South Yorkshire.
Southend are certainly capable of sneaking a play off spot this term & they should get off to a good start at home to Hereford. They've made a few good signings this summer & the key one is probably Neil Harris who should get plenty of goals for them in this division. For a long time last season it looked as though Hereford would slip back out of the football league & in the end they avoided relegation by just 3 points. Their home form was a major factor in their struggles with only 4 wins at Edgar Street & whilst their away form was better it was still nothing to write home about. Another season of struggle beckons & if they can still be in the football league this time next year then it'll be a job well done.

I'm also having a go at lucy4's £10 to £10k challenge this year & I'll be running a separate thread for that.

Good luck if you're having a go this weekend. 

Jay

Comments

• Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited August 2011
    Good luck Jay! Might have some money on these!
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited August 2011
    Gone for one more for today

Both to Score:

Boro/Pompey @ 5/6
    Southampton/Leeds @ 4/6
    Stevenage/Exeter @ 5/6
    Walsall/Leyton Orient @ 4/6
    Shrewsbury/Plymouth @ 10/11
    Port Vale/Crawley @ 5/6

These 6 pay a very healthy 32/1 so I've had a couple of quid on.
  • Options
    ALFIE123ALFIE123 Member Posts: 287
    edited August 2011
    At last start of the season. I work every staurday so cant wait for  3.00pm to relieve the boredom.
    I stick a few quid on each week, so for starters.

Brighton
    Huddersfield
    Sheff Wednesday
    Northamton
    Swindon

Aways
    Scunthorpe
    Lincoln
    Bristol rovers.

Was gonna stick a few quid on the mighty rams then decided against it
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited August 2011
    £40 Nottingham Forest @2/3

£20 Treble:
    Nottingham Forest
    Huddersfield
    Dundee Utd
    (Returns about £98 iirc)

£10 Sixfold (Sky Enhanced Multiple Thingy):
    Reading
    Charlton
    Preston
    Shrewsbury
    Swindon
    Dundee United
    Pays 45/1

£5 on Leicester to be top after this weekend @ 18/1.

Good luck everyone!!!

• Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,258
    edited August 2011
    Did a few 1st scorers in Community shield which havent come up but as long as Man City win in 90 mins i,ll get them refunded

also got 3-2 man Utd
    and 3-3
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (6th/7th):
    Did a few 1st scorers in Community shield which havent come up but as long as Man City win in 90 mins i,ll get them refunded also got 3-2 man Utd and 3-3
    Posted by MP33

Nice start to the season - £32 up  after 1st weekend - scorecast with lescott wudda been nice, but hopefully Luke Donald can make up for that tonight  - CMON LUKE - also had a £3 saver on Laird at 14/1
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (6th/7th):
    £40 Nottingham Forest @2/3 £20 Treble: Nottingham Forest Huddersfield Dundee Utd (Returns about £98 iirc) £10 Sixfold (Sky Enhanced Multiple Thingy): Reading Charlton Preston Shrewsbury Swindon Dundee United Pays 45/1 £5 on Leicester to be top after this weekend @ 18/1. Good luck everyone!!!
    Posted by JohnConnor
    I,d stay away from Preston this season

They were terrible yesterday and have sold almost every decent player they had left which wasn,t many - They say they are rebuliding and are trying to bring youngsters through for following seasons
  • Options
    cleaverjimcleaverjim Member Posts: 1,070
    edited August 2011

PREMIER LGE SCORES 15X 10P DOUBLES 20 X 10P TREBLES 1 10P ACC = £3.60     SPURS 2 1 EVERTON, QPR 1 BOLTON 1,WIGAN 1 NORWICH 1,STOKE 1 CHELSEA 2, WBA 1 MAN UTD 2 , MAN CITY 3 SWANSEA 1 ,  LETS HOPE......