You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Stamina important in Poker

RichiSwiftRichiSwift Member Posts: 149
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
I made two stupid mistakes last night in the £500GTD speed.
I finished 11th out fo 105, but believe I could of gone on to win it or at least in top 5.

I am too embarrased to tell you what stupid play I made, but rest assured they were both terrible play be me and If you was on that table you might of noticed one of them.

My only excuse is that it was about 2300hrs or something and I was tired.

Being tired leeds to making mistakes.

This is why I believe Stamina and being able to keep concentration for the duration of the tournament is vital.

Next time I will go and wash my face and try and wake up a bit.

Like the film, 'The Hustler' with Paul Newman. Remember, he goes and wakes himself up by having a cold wash and then goes back to return to playing his pool game and ends up playing a h ell of a lot better.

Stamina is vital in long tournaments, be prepared ;)

Comments

• Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited November 2009
    Have a go at the 7pm deepstacks, they go on for a long time and will imrove your 'online stamina'. if you make it to the final be prepared to be playing for 4- 4.5 hours
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Stamina important in Poker:
    Have a go at the 7pm deepstacks, they go on for a long time and will imrove your 'online stamina'. if you make it to the final be prepared to be playing for 4- 4.5 hours
    Posted by FlashFlush

Hi Flash,
    I see your point, but I will stick to speed play, it suits my game.
     I think I just need to make sure that I keep myself awake and alert throughout. I'm not a fan of deep stack, but thanks all the same.

Let me just congratulate you also for doing extremely well in the Sat Open just gone.
    I noticed you finished high in the cash, so well done, congrats mate.
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Stamina important in Poker : Hi Flash, I see your point, but I will stick to speed play, it suits my game.  I think I just need to make sure that I keep myself awake and alert throughout. I'm not a fan of deep stack, but thanks all the same. Let me just congratulate you also for doing extremely well in the Sat Open just gone. I noticed you finished high in the cash, so well done, congrats mate.
    Posted by RichiSwift
     Thanks

Yeh 11th, got short and shoved at the wrong time (although i was still 40/60 just wasn't to be)
    I thought i was going to get a similar result in the primo last night!! Was big stacked most of the tourney, then had a run in with the only person who had me outstacked on my table.. A9, vs AJ Blind on Blind with an A on flop... (he didn't re-raise me pre so thought i had him out kicked).
  • Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited November 2009
    i am impervious to mistakes,but my advice for you would be to,as flash said,just try a deepstack.Even if you dont like them it is worth it in the long run if it helps you to improve your patience when you play speed.And the "orfordable" is only £3+30p to play so you cant go wrong :)
  • Options
    achillachill Member Posts: 1,056
    edited November 2009

RED BULL
  • Options
    chrisbhoychrisbhoy Member Posts: 302
    edited November 2009
    my greatest acievement in poker is winning 10k on another site, lasted 7 hours! now thats stamina in front of you com lol
    i was drunk by end of it though!
  • Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited November 2009

You need to make sure that u make the most of ur breaks during tournies.  Stretch the legs, get some juice (or water) and some fruit.  Or...........load up a cash table, open some crisps and a can of lager. I should do option 1 but i tend to always choose option 2 lol.

• Options
    nirvana29nirvana29 Member Posts: 489
    edited November 2009
    i always get really restless, i think its importa\nt to stop playing when you get like that, even if your really down, bu i suppose u cant do that in a tournament.
  • Options
    BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited November 2009
    if i am ever lucky enought o make it to a break in a tournament, i tend to competely switch off from poker for the 5 minutes, rather than running hands through in my head. I walk away from the laptop and go into another room, walk about, and only return once the game is getting underway again.

I would imagine that fatigue and lack of concentration result in more errors being made deep in tournaments, so being able to raise your game at that stage would be a useful edge.
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited November 2009
    I've found that posture is very important. Sounds all ponsy I know but it is important particularly in the latter stages. Lounging on the settee isn't conducive to concentration. If and when (becoming rarer for me) I get towards the money end of a tournament I sit up straight as opposed to lying on the settee with the dog and find I play much better. I read an article on this some time ago by a very successful online tournament player and it works.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I've found that posture is very important. Sounds all ponsy I know but it is important particularly in the latter stages. Lounging on the settee isn't conducive to concentration. If and when (becoming rarer for me) I get towards the money end of a tournament I sit up straight as opposed to lying on the settee with the dog and find I play much better. I read an article on this some time ago by a very successful online tournament player and it works.
    Posted by elsadog
    great advice - thanks buddy
  • Options
    gazcazgazcaz Member Posts: 52
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Stamina important in Poker:
    I made two stupid mistakes last night in the £500GTD speed. I finished 11th out fo 105, but believe I could of gone on to win it or at least in top 5. I am too embarrased to tell you what stupid play I made, but rest assured they were both terrible play be me and If you was on that table you might of noticed one of them. My only excuse is that it was about 2300hrs or something and I was tired. Being tired leeds to making mistakes. This is why I believe Stamina and being able to keep concentration for the duration of the tournament is vital. Next time I will go and wash my face and try and wake up a bit. Like the film, 'The Hustler' with Paul Newman. Remember, he goes and wakes himself up by having a cold wash and then goes back to return to playing his pool game and ends up playing a h ell of a lot better. Stamina is vital in long tournaments, be prepared ;)
    Posted by RichiSwift
    no hands play them selfs its about pai