You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

books or sites on odds etc for idiots.... yes it's for me;)

margatemafmargatemaf Member Posts: 849
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
does anyone know of books or sites for working out odds etc that is explained in an ABC format for the stoopid!! got my books etc but they are explaing it like i am stephen hawkins!! rest of the books are fine but the odds are explained out in equations and stuff like that!

so i need something for idiots as i am still getting 2 + 2 wrong! it is 5 isn't it? ;)

Comments

• Options
    diablo_pezdiablo_pez Member Posts: 1,392
    edited November 2009
    Not sure if something like this is what your after?

Rough guide after the flop, ur outs x 4 is the % chance of hitting by the end of the hand, after the turn ur outs x 2 is the % chance of hitting on the river

I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a better answer than me, im a donkey
  • Options
    fitzer14fitzer14 Member Posts: 248
    edited November 2009
    In Response to books or sites on odds etc for idiots.... yes it's for me;):
    does anyone know of books or sites for working out odds etc that is explained in an ABC format for the stoopid!! got my books etc but they are explaing it like i am stephen hawkins!! rest of the books are fine but the odds are explained out in equations and stuff like that! so i need something for idiots as i am still getting 2 + 2 wrong! it is 5 isn't it? ;)
    Posted by margatemaf
    when i first started margate i used something called "texas caculatem" i found it very helpfull and it was free for first 30 days,it pops up alongside your game and gives odds etc.etc...give it a try m8.
    gl at tables.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    lol your not a donkey ;) looking for something that shows me how to work it all out, so i can do the math myself. the link you gave just gives me %'s by picking my own cards etc. But useful anyways ;)
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited November 2009
    This book is pretty good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Texas-Holdem-Probabilities-Matthew-Hilger/dp/0974150223/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257347935&sr=8-2

For your percentages during a hand here on Sky Poker you can actually get them in the Hot-o-meter ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cheers nosey ;) i see the one on sky and it's great. the aim is to be able to sit at a live table and be able to work it out at the table, so i guess i am looking for the method of working it out if you see what i mean ;)
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: books or sites on odds etc for idiots.... yes it's for me;):
    Not sure if something like this is what your after? http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-tools/odds-calculator/texas-holdem Rough guide after the flop, ur outs x 4 is the % chance of hitting by the end of the hand, after the turn ur outs x 2 is the % chance of hitting on the river I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a better answer than me, im a donkey
    Posted by diablo_pez
    This is the easiest way and acurate enough. once you work your percent of hitting I.E 9 outs x 4 = 36% chance of hitting with 2 cards to come. Then just measure this against the price your being charged to call.

so if your 4 to the flush with 2 cards to come and you have 9 good outs, £2 in the pot and he's charging you 0.40p to draw to it then the pot odds are good, 36% chance to hit against a 20% of pot call.

I'm sure there are far more acurate and complex ways of doing it but how much maths can you do in the 15 secs time you get lol
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited November 2009
    Hi margate

Here is how I do it, lets say you play 9h Th, the flop hits 8h 3c Jh, what outs have you got? 4 sevens, 4 kings and 7 hearts, why 7 hearts? because you have already used two in the straight possability, so 4+4+7=15 to find the odds multiply by 4 so 4X15=60%, in other words, you will hit your next card 60 times in 100, if the turn misses, you then only have 2X the chance, so 4+4+7=15, 15X2=30%, you will hit the river 30 times out of 100, hope this makes sense.
  • Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited November 2009
    Margatemaf,

There's a really easy way to get an idea of your percentage chance of winning a pot.

The Rule of Four and Two,

Count how many outs you think you have and multiply that by FOUR if on the flop and TWO if you're on the turn. This gives you your percentage chance of winning the pot.

For example:
    You've flopped a small flush draw (let's say you have 8s-7s on a As 6s 2c flop) and the guy puts you all in. You assume he has an Ace. You have two spades in your hand and two on the flop, leaving 9 we don't know about. 

9 x 4 = 36% (around 1 in 3 times you'll make the flush)

If the board read As 6s 2c Tc and you have to do the same thing, it's 9 x 2, so 18% (around 1 in 6)

It's a good rule of thumb which allow your brain to be freed up for things such as implied and pot odds!

• Options
    eye-rayseye-rays Member Posts: 30
    edited November 2009
    In Response to books or sites on odds etc for idiots.... yes it's for me;):
    does anyone know of books or sites for working out odds etc that is explained in an ABC format for the stoopid!! got my books etc but they are explaing it like i am stephen hawkins!! rest of the books are fine but the odds are explained out in equations and stuff like that! so i need something for idiots as i am still getting 2 + 2 wrong! it is 5 isn't it? ;)
    Posted by margatemaf
    hi

get a copy of pokerpro europ magazine, its got a couple of pages dedicated to maths, with odds on the flop and on the turn

• Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: books or sites on odds etc for idiots.... yes it's for me;):
    Cheers nosey ;) i see the one on sky and it's great. the aim is to be able to sit at a live table and be able to work it out at the table, so i guess i am looking for the method of working it out if you see what i mean ;)
    Posted by margatemaf
    In that case, as others have said, the four / two rule does the trick :)

There are certain common draws that you can memorise, for eg a flopped four-flush completing