You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Testing My Metal Against The Pro's

ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi Guys,

I Had an interesting night of poker last night (Ok it wasn't on Sky Poker but as this is "General Poker Chat" I'm sure you will forgive me) and i thought i'd drop a post on here to the caring and sharing community types of sky's player pool.

I signed up a while ago for a new poker experiance owned and fronted by Neil Channing And Nik Persaud. (I'm sure all you players with your fingers on the poker pulse of the nation know about it and i won't name it here).

I'd always thought my game was OK for a recreational player and i've manageed a few big online tourney results. Sharkscope rates me pretty good as a scheduled MTT player for Sky (please if your gonna run the sharkscope thing on me don't look at SNG's cos i suck at them lol) and i enjoy the game.

I've never taken Poker that seriously as my bankroll managment sucks (everytime i secure a big win i have to cash it for one reason or another), and i'd always assumed that while i have a reasonable talent for the game on sites like this i could never hold my own against truly quality competition. (not that all of Sky arn't quality so before the post's start I KNOW YOU ARE ALL GREAT, however i'm not lol)

Well last night i got the chance to see!. There was a Freeroll for the members of the afore mentioned intiative where Mr Channing and Co put $5k on the line to 273 invited members. What was Different about this freeroll? well this one happened to have some of our countrys top pro's in it. Channing and Nik themselves played, along with Adam Latimer, Eoin Kennedy, Hugh Kirton, Jerome Bradpiece and even Jessie May !!

Some of the 273 had the good fortune to play most of the night without ever coming across one of the pro's. I however started with Nik Persaud on my table for an hour and then had to play the next four hours once moved with Adam Latimer on my table and Neil Channing to my left. 4 HOURS !!!! This post isn't about me beating the pants off a bunch of pro's and running on to a hero's welcome as the winner of the final table (Because my KK V's AA All - in pre flop took care of that lol). I didn't whoop the pro's but i did hold my own on a table with 2 of them for 4 hours (which is a long time online lol). In fact i managed to make a good laydown against channing, i managed to push him off a hands, get him to respect my raises (useful if you have to play Air into one of the best pro's in the country) and generally not look too out of place.

The point of this post i Guess is a little encouragment to those like my that play for recreation with a decent understanding of the game but always assumed they would get ripped apart in the company of better opposition. I'm not saying it's time for us all to go pro and teach these pro's a lesson but i have definatley gathered a huge deal of confidence from that game. If i can make my plays on the likes of my opposition last night  then i can return to my general games feeling good about my general play and in the knowledge that i've got some tools in the cupboard so to speak.

I Have to say that each of the pro's i played last night were true gents and Channing in particular was more than happy to talk through how you had played a hand and offer some really good poker advice to any question asked of him. It was a great night and if you like me don't play ALL your poker on the one site (Though obviously this is the best one) i'd look it up !

To Answer some questions that may come up, Did i cash YES Did I final table NO (But i got closeer than i thought i would in that field) & Is this post just bragging about playing with some Pro's ??? Probably a little bit but if i can't do that here where can you lol :)

Comments

• Options
    labrat64labrat64 Member Posts: 987
    edited November 2009
    Great story Aces, well done holding your own there, must have been an experience for you, and yes i'd brag about it if it was me.
  • Options
    margatemafmargatemaf Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2009
    Great post, sounds like something i would like to get into! sounds like you did absolutely spot on mate!! a very big well done to you. Got anymore info you could message me with about this?
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited November 2009

An excellent post and you certainly earned the bragging rights.  Congratulations on your cash and may your poker go from strength to strength.

Out of curiosity what was the table and blind structure like in comparison to Skys, and no I am not thinking of switching my allegiance I am just curious how it compares.

• Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited November 2009
    Congrats Aces!

I actually played in that too and lasted about 20 minutes after my 99 hit the As-9c-5s flop so hard in the face that I snap called the guy who'd just shoved faster than the dealer could say 'Seat Open!'. Of course he had AA... *cough*

Such is life.

• Options
    edited November 2009
    15 min blinds at 10 seater tables Thus the 5 hour marathon for a 273 runner tournament and i didn't make the final table lol - And i don't consider it to be switching allegiance if like me you find the things you like in multiple sites. I have tournys i like on 4 or 5 different providers and dependent on the evening i will play somewhere else or even 2 places at once. On here i like the open but i hate the bounty hunters so when there on i play somewhere else :)

On reflection it may have been 10 mins but with channing on my left time seemed to slow lol
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Testing My Metal Against The Pro's:
    Congrats Aces! I actually played in that too and lasted about 20 minutes after my 99 hit the As-9c-5s flop so hard in the face that I snap called the guy who'd just shoved faster than the dealer could say 'Seat Open!'. Of course he had AA... *cough* Such is life.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    There were some truly bad beats lol, latimer went on a run where he just outdrew everybody he went in with, AK v's AQ and the board gives him 4 to his Ace Flush, Made flush for his opponent on the flop only for latimer to improve from 1 pair to house by the river, under pair to overpair tipped on the turn lol (not saying latimer is a luckbox as he's very good but he didn't half get some help for the 10 - 15 min period in whichhe built most of his stack)
  • Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited November 2009
    awesome post,that must have been a great tourney to play in!
  • Options
    edited November 2009

awesome post,that must have been a great tourney to play in!
    Posted by namesb0nd
    Cheers for the comment namesbond. It was a really good tourny to play

• Options
    Any2SuitedAny2Suited Member Posts: 1,240
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like a tough table, well played and i'd tell anyone and everyone i knew. 
  • Options
    fitzer14fitzer14 Member Posts: 248
    edited November 2009
    yeah,nice post Aces
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like a tough table, well played and i'd tell anyone and everyone i knew. 
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Unfortunatly all my "real life" friends looked at me blankly and said "Who?"

Can't say there a big poker playing bunch so i thought I'd share it with all you kind people who actually know who people like Channing are lol

Gonna have to get me some new firends me thinks ;p
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited November 2009
    Well done in that company....invaluable experience
  • Options
    BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited November 2009
    a really good post aces, and plenty of wisdom in your words.
    Sounds like a great tournament to have been invited to play in , so well done on a good performance.
  • Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited November 2009
    Channing came 2nd! sweet lol
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited November 2009
    well  done  acesover8s  great  result
  • Options
    RaggyAceRaggyAce Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2009
    I don't know what i'd do in a tourney against the pros... i think i'd be majorly put off my game! So well done!
  • Options
    LONGPLAYLONGPLAY Member Posts: 232
    edited November 2009
    the pro level is littered with guys who in their past have gone skint on many occasions only to sponge/borrow off friends and family and leave trails of bad debts behind them,remind yourself of that and the "awe" will soon disappear.
  • Options
    pod1pod1 Member Posts: 4,377
    edited November 2009
    and their p o o smells the same!!!