You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Is poker fun

watson-ST7watson-ST7 Member Posts: 10
edited July 2009 in Poker Chat
i think yes ?

Comments

• dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2009
    Not right now - going through one of those down periods when nothing is coming right. I think it all depends on whether you are winning or not - if I am losing then its not fun. Sad but true!
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,810
    edited July 2009

I agree - "yes" is the only answer.

If it's not fun, you should not be playing it.

There is NO OTHER REASON to play poker at our Level.

It's just a game, & games are meant to be enjoyed. If someone is not enjoying it, maybe they are playng above their financial comfort level.
  • dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Is poker fun:
    I agree - "yes" is the only answer. If it's not fun, you should not be playing it. There is NO OTHER REASON to play poker at our Level. It's just a game, & games are meant to be enjoyed. If someone is not enjoying it, maybe they are playng above their financial comfort level.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I dont disagree with this but even if I play a 30p DYM I HATE losing and when I am losing continually it takes the enjoyment out of the game. Might just be me, this huge competitive streak is not always a good thing :)
  • mike1975mike1975 Member Posts: 420
    edited July 2009

Well before i answer that question i will have to have a look back at my night.

i was one of the phone in guests on the open and tbh nerves got the best of me, the thought of my hands being played on tv made me play them very differently than i would have in any other game, which resulted in me busting out early and looking a muppet.

i was then entered in velocity where i did a little better, got sucked into a hand by a guy with aces and busted out soon after, finished 89th i think, so not the worse result in the world.

after that i entered a normal tournament, 1500 chips 10 min blinds and guess what busted out in the first hand i played, i had kings and the other guy hit a straight..

going well isn't it.....bare in mind i have only been playing poker for just over a month....

so now i feel ready to answer the original question, is poker fun....... of course the answer is yes, even though i haven't had the best of nights results wise, i still enjoyed myself and am looking for the next tournament i can bust out of ;)

• LONGPLAYLONGPLAY Member Posts: 232
    edited July 2009
    when you say you are "losing continually" im guessing you are referring to a period of maybe 3-4 weeks,this is a trivial amount of time for a losing spell in a lifetime game such as poker is,pay it no mind and just enjoy the action(win or lose)

• tiggerace7tiggerace7 Member Posts: 93
    edited July 2009
    Hi Mike

First of all thank you for the great game and banter we enjoyed this afternoon
    Secondly you did not look a muppet on the TV hey we can all critise when we see everyone cards, you just have to listen to some of the presenters discussing their own hands....
    Yes it is great to win and very exciting but it has to be fun, I can see no reason for playing if it is not.
    I look forward to seeing you on the deepstack tables they are by far my favourite games and the regular players at these tables are really nice players xx

In Response to Re: Is poker fun:
    Well before i answer that question i will have to have a look back at my night. i was one of the phone in guests on the open and tbh nerves got the best of me, the thought of my hands being played on tv made me play them very differently than i would have in any other game, which resulted in me busting out early and looking a muppet. i was then entered in velocity where i did a little better, got sucked into a hand by a guy with aces and busted out soon after, finished 89th i think, so not the worse result in the world. after that i entered a normal tournament, 1500 chips 10 min blinds and guess what busted out in the first hand i played, i had kings and the other guy hit a straight.. going well isn't it.....bare in mind i have only been playing poker for just over a month.... so now i feel ready to answer the original question, is poker fun....... of course the answer is yes, even though i haven't had the best of nights results wise, i still enjoyed myself and am looking for the next tournament i can bust out of ;)
    Posted by mike1975
  • TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited July 2009
    I find that poker, much like life & nookie, is fun in parts.

I'm not talking about the up and down swings, but the actual games have their highs and lows.  For example today I have been playing a mixture of $20 Turbo DYM SnGs and 0.25/0.50 HU cash.

To me Turbo DYM is on the whole is not fun, but I'm suffering the boredom of games that are barely poker because I've found a juicey group of players and I'm running nicely hot (14 for 16 at the mo).

Now the HU cash has been push, pushing with the nut low on the river and seeing a pile of cash pushed towards you is fun, even getting caught has elements of amusement.  I've made a profit in this today but lost a couple of buy ins towards the end which turned a decent profit into a modest profit on the day.

You have to 'eat your greens ladies and gents before you get to the fun stuff.  There is very little fun IMHO in shove and fold fests, but it's low varience and the standard of the game allows me to sustain a decent bankroll during the downswings in the fun part of the game.

BTW, one exception to the rule.  Badugi is always fun :)
  • FBSFBS Member Posts: 131
    edited July 2009
    I play for FUN ,

I have FUN playing,

and if I didn't find Poker fun I wouldn't be playing.

It doesn't matter if it's the SKY £2 dym sngs or the £25 freeze out at my local club, I play for the fun and/or social side of the game.

Yes, it helps if I can get in the money, but I don't play with scared money which makes it much easier to have fun when I don't cash.

If I had more spare cash I'd still play, just at higher levels, if I have less spare casash I play at lower levels, it doesn't matter as long as I am having FUN