You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Percentage of Bankroll

GavinxxxxGavinxxxx Member Posts: 559
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi guys just a quick question, what is the recommended percentage of your bankrole you should be playing with ?

Comments

• Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited November 2009
    Hi Gavin

there is a thought that anything between 2-7%, depends who you talk to, but I use 5%
  • Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited November 2009
    Hi Gavin

Check out the thread on page 8 called 'Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations'

This will give you a good idea on what other players do.
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Percentage of Bankroll:
    Hi Gavin Check out the thread on page 8 called ' Bank Roll Managment, How Close Do You REALLY Stay To The Recomendations ' This will give you a good idea on what other players do.
    Posted by apollo_11
    And like everyone else you will be none the wiser lol
  • Options
    GavinxxxxGavinxxxx Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2009
    Hi Gavin there is a thought that anything between 2-7%, depends who you talk to, but I use 5%
    Posted by acebarry10
    Hi Barry, when you say you use 5% is that including the sky poker fee ?
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Percentage of Bankroll : Hi Barry, when you say you use 5% is that including the sky poker fee ?
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    Hi Gavin

Yup it is :)
  • Options
    nagromnagrom Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2009
    I tend to think that it depends on how serious you are about the game and the stakes you are playing. A decent ABC player can get away with using a 10% guideline at the £1-£3ish level MTT's/ SnG's. MTT's have higher variance due to the larger fields so err on the cautious side with BR management if that is what you prefer.
  • Options
    margatemafmargatemaf Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2009
    i personally will not exceed 5% for tourneys and 2% for cash games, but thats just me ;)
  • Options
    LadyFingrsLadyFingrs Member Posts: 613
    edited November 2009
    i personally will not exceed 5% for tourneys and 2% for cash games, but thats just me ;)
    Posted by margatemaf
    should be the other way round if anything

MTT variance /> cash variance
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited November 2009
    5% here.
  • Options
    SHANXTASHANXTA Member Posts: 1,507
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, as a basic rule 5% 4 cash games and sit n go's, and 2% for MTT's as they have a higher variance. Although wiv the normal MTT's on sky not having that many runners maybe 5% is playable
  • Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Percentage of Bankroll : should be the other way round if anything MTT variance /> cash variance
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    Yeah literature says 2% for MTTs and 5% cash/STTs

Personally I am a 5% man for DYMs or cash, and try to play as many free MTTs as I can - either Freeroll, competitions prizes etc. Taking this route i have slowly but surely turned a small 3 figure profit and am now about to play at higher buy ins. But you must be prepared to move back down to a lower level if you do not have enough to support you. This will (in theory) stop you every going broke. (If you are reasonable player of course ;))
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited November 2009
    4% cash 1% MTT`s here (for now)
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited November 2009
    Me personally, I generally go for max 2% MTT's & 5% STT's & cash. Saying that I have been known to go a little above this depending on my mood & also when I've wanted to try my hand at the next level
  • Options
    ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    edited November 2009
    Only people who need bankroll management are people who rely on poker as an income.

If you dont see poker as an income and just for fun then the simple rule is dont play with what you cant afford to lose.
    i.e. if you fancy buying in to a cash game for £100 trying to spin it up and you can afford to lose £100 just do it.
    However if £100 has to last you all week and you want to play for a hour most days, you should buy in for say £20.