You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Freeroll 180 out of 1153

midge8080midge8080 Member Posts: 32
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Entered the freeroll this evening and finished 180th out of 1153, was wondering do you think that is a respectable spot,although I didn't cash I moreorless ran out of blinds forcing me to shove all in late on, despite some strong hands was beaten.

Do you find the freerolls harder to play than say the deepstacks, or does each type of tournament favour certain styles of play

Jamie

Comments

• Options
    SirFrankSirFrank Member Posts: 197
    edited November 2009
    Absolutley ..."FREEROLLS" are the hardest tourneys to play ..."FREEROLLERS" are the bravest of players...Why... A lot of freeroll players are the !all in" mob ....once they have gone ...you have to wait for the "sit-outs" to get booted, or blinded out! ..Then you have to cope with the chip leading bullies!

So yes 180th is brilliant...hope you do better next time! gl chap!
  • Options
    Hogg321Hogg321 Member Posts: 260
    edited November 2009
    its hard to say if its a respectable spot, maybe you got really lucky throughout hit your cards but blew it all with stuipidity, or you could've been card dead and nothing to work with

obviously its quite deep into the freeroll, so it is ok

I find freerolls easier, i normally get into the cash if i play them maybe 3/5 times. If you know how to beat the fish its easy, and with the deepstacks if you know how to beat good players, its easy :)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I did get very lucky with a pair of As and 9s, the 9 came on the river at one point so I probably should have gone out a bit earlier, in the end I was hanging on and the good luck ran out
  • Options
    BIGFISH_73BIGFISH_73 Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2009
    sounds ok to me mate but to draw attention to hog321's post it depends how you played, shame not to cash I was in the same tourney and bombed out in 107th. I did notice that from 200 left in to 140 went really quick so if you are low on chips coming up to the cash spot it may be worthwhile slowing down and making full use of your timer, to try and ladder up a few places.

re: are freerolls harder I would say they are harder earlier on as you are more likely to be called with a nothing hand that gets lucky as there is nothing at stake  except a few points.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thamks BF well done on cashing in it, I tend to try to hang on to my chips too much I think, early on in particular I like to try and allow the Fish to blow each other out the only flip side to that is that I'm left with a relatively low stack when the blinds get big, I'm still very raw at Poker however and probably need to work on the attacking side of the game to balance out my defensive strategy
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    also with hindsight BF I should have simply shut up shop and limped into the placings, still I guess thats all a part of the learning process
  • Options
    BIGFISH_73BIGFISH_73 Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Freeroll 180 out of 1153:
    also with hindsight BF I should have simply shut up shop and limped into the placings, still I guess thats all a part of the learning process
    Posted by midge8080

Yeah that's what I would have done being shortstacked and only played the premium hands (cautiously) I too am still on a learning curve and use the freerolls as a free lesson. (if I don't cash I've learned something and if I do cash I've been paid for enjoying a game of poker for an hour or so)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thats the way I'm viewing it, I pressed the panic button slightly early and as you say those freerolls are excellent learing tools, I did a deepstack earlier today and it took 3 1/2 hours to complete, I really enjoyed it though and as you probably saw in a previous post notched up 2nd place in it, the wierdest thing about tonights free roll is that there were 1100 players yet at least 800 went out in the first 20 mins, I expected it too last just as long as the DS with that many players involved.