You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Hoping to hit!!

JoolzskiJoolzski Member Posts: 13
edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi, Just wondered how people get over folding hands only too see them come out on the flop and give you a pretty decent hand. This seems to be happening to me alot recently and my whole game has gone to bits as i seem to be calling really rubbish hands "Hoping To Hit".

I think my game before this was pretty decent, but i just cant seem to get my head around it.

Help!!!

I probably know the obvious answer, but just wondered if this has happened to people who think they are on top of their game only to be kicked very hard in the nuts.

cheers

Joolzski

Comments

• Options
    BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited November 2009
    as an experiment, make a point of noting every flop regardless of whether you lay or not,and see how often you hit a hand that would win the pot.  You'll quickly see how rare it is, and can use that info to overcome the frustration when you see a flop that would give you a monster hand.

Ray
  • Options
    Hogg321Hogg321 Member Posts: 260
    edited November 2009
    i dont mind it at all, end of the day if im going to  play 6 3 all the time, im going to lose much more than i win :)
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited November 2009
    I'm blessed with a bad short term memory and can rarely remember what i had lol. To be honest i don't think about it
  • Options
    LONGPLAYLONGPLAY Member Posts: 232
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Hoping to hit!!:
    Hi, Just wondered how people get over folding hands only too see them come out on the flop and give you a pretty decent hand. This seems to be happening to me alot recently and my whole game has gone to bits as i seem to be calling really rubbish hands "Hoping To Hit". I think my game before this was pretty decent, but i just cant seem to get my head around it. Help!!! I probably know the obvious answer, but just wondered if this has happened to people who think they are on top of their game only to be kicked very hard in the nuts. cheers Joolzski
    Posted by Joolzski

i remember ed giddins once explaining that the rng "reacts" to every "action"(fold,call,raise etc) of the players in a hand,thus when you fold a hand the upcoming cards are not the same "had you called".
  • Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited November 2009
    I don't worry too much about the flop once I have folded, but it is anoying if you would have hit it hard, but once folded the cards are dead and there is nothing that can be done, so I sit back and watch how the other play.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,170
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Hoping to hit!!:
    In Response to Hoping to hit!! : i remember ed giddins once explaining that the rng "reacts" to every "action"(fold,call,raise etc) of the players in a hand,thus when you fold a hand the upcoming cards are not the same "had you called".
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    ..although Sky have since stated that this isn't how it works. The virtual pack is 'shuffled' once before the hands are dealt (just as a live pack would be).

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,924
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Hoping to hit!! : i remember ed giddins once explaining that the rng "reacts" to every "action"(fold,call,raise etc) of the players in a hand,thus when you fold a hand the upcoming cards are not the same "had you called".
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    If he said that, he was referring to what happens on SOME Online Poker Sites.

That is NOT the case on Sky Poker, their RNG sdoes not work that way.

What comes comes, & no prior action can ever affect that.
  • Options
    jamesbozjamesboz Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2009
    i tend to just forget what my cards where once i have folded and watch the action on the table. Can imagine it is frustrating when you see you would have had a great hand but if you had betted would the same cards have came out?
  • Options
    COCASIRFCOCASIRF Member Posts: 439
    edited November 2009
    Everytime it happens to me I just say to myself "I did'nt pay to see the cards" in other words you've got to be in it to win it
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,924
    edited November 2009
    i tend to just forget what my cards where once i have folded and watch the action on the table. Can imagine it is frustrating when you see you would have had a great hand but if you had betted would the same cards have came out?
    Posted by jamesboz
    Yes. But it's like saying that the weather was nicer yesterday than today -  there's not much you can do about it, so why worry, or let it get to you? Nothing will ever change it, so may as well move on.
  • Options
    LONGPLAYLONGPLAY Member Posts: 232
    edited November 2009
    tnx tikay and nosey,it was a surprising thing to hear at the time, and i've always laughed off what i "would have hit" based on his info.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yep i guess you are all right. . It just threw me off my game for a bit. I dont wanna fall into that hole...

What happens.... Happens. Not a lot i can do about it.

Game on!

• Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Hoping to hit!! : Yes. But it's like saying that the weather was nicer yesterday than today -  there's not much you can do about it, so why worry, or let it get to you? Nothing will ever change it, so may as well move on.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes there is tikay, you can catch a flight to Barbados, then it would be lovely lol. Before you do it i will lol sigh
  • Options
    HartshorNHartshorN Member Posts: 616
    edited November 2009
    Don't let it get under your skin, more than likely you folded when you was behind, and you made the correct choice. So keep playing as you would and don't just start calling in order to see a turn or river, if your behind anyway.
  • Options
    TramshedTramshed Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2009
    oddly enough i asked tikay this very same question earlier today. His advice, forget it and play sensible poker. he is right as my modest results show, start chasing draws will be the fast lane to the poor house!!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeh good shout Hartshorn. It did get under my skin for some reason but im over that now.

Cheers
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited November 2009
      Always remember that your cards never hit the flop after you have folded them because you have no cards. The picture in the bottom right is an illusion. As soon as your hand is folded it no longer exists.