You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Angle shooting

BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
What do you feel is acceptable and what crosses the line?

For example, is it acceptable to gather a mass of chips in your hand out of turn, then smooth call?
How about turning your cards over on the river before you call or fold?
How about holding your cards as if you're going to throw them into the muck, before putting in a big raise when it comes to you?
How about 'accidentally' announcing "Raise" out of turn to gather information?

Comments

• Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited December 2009
    i dont see a problem with any of that stuff,you shouldnt let it affect your play.
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited December 2009
    The best live players must surely be able to cope with silly things like this.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited December 2009
    Hi

Angle shooting isnt against the rules of play, but, isnt exactly within the spirit of the game either, I would imagine it would be up to the manger if this was done in live play as what to do.
  • Options
    shanker197shanker197 Member Posts: 85
    edited December 2009
    I think that sort of play is wrong, and there should be a rule against it.. Also we have a rule in our golf club where we play poker that if this happens ACCIDENTLY then the whole hands are mucked and the person who breaks the rules then sits out for 15 mins whilst still paying the blinds.

Shanker1974
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited December 2009
    My opinions, for what they're worth.

For example, is it acceptable to gather a mass of chips in your hand out of turn, then smooth call?
    Yes, this is absolutely acceptable (and a wizard wheeze).

Surely, in most card rooms, your hand would be declared dead if you turned them over before stating your intention.
    On TV, you may occasionally see people turning one or both cards over but this is only in "fun" games.

How about holding your cards as if you're going to throw them into the muck, before putting in a big raise when it comes to you?
    Another wizard wheeze, although edging towards borderline.

Completely unacceptable. This should lead to (at least) a warning and a penalty if it happens again. If it happens a third time it should lead to  exclusion from the game.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited December 2009
    Hi all

I think that all of these grey areas should (if not already) be looked at and a defining uniform decision made of the legality, or not as the case may be in poker, I wonder if tikay could give us some guidance as to whether APAT would, or are looking into this, and whether us as players could help in that decision? and if so, how best to acheive that.
  • Options
    Hogg321Hogg321 Member Posts: 260
    edited December 2009
    Id agree with merenovice on most of that.

Q2 and 4 wont be allowed im sure, Q1 and 3 you can use but i wouldnt go over the top with that, you wont make many friends if so ;)
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited December 2009

As far as I know, this will be binding and you will have to make at least a minimum raise.
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited December 2009
    yes once u said what u want to do ie call raise u got to do it
  • Options
    FISH50FISH50 Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2009

This is the difference between good and bad poker the problem is most do it out of stupidity but then how can you diffferentiate as you are looking to see how the reaction of the other players is gonna set you up for the next hands consider it good poker only if you have the tenacity to fold and not be a hold player in which you are certain to get a reraise dumped on you, know when your ahead it all helps you weed out the bluffers
  • Options
    AcesSuitedAcesSuited Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2009
    Completely unacceptable. This should lead to (at least) a warning and a penalty if it happens again. If it happens a third time it should lead to  exclusion from the game.

Seen this happen on tv tournment, guy actually put his chips in (raise) out of turn, ref warned him,he took the chips back and waited for his turn he raised not sure if ref told him he had to. He done it a second time and he had to leave the table for not sure how long think 10-15 mins. Not sure if his blinds were being put in when he was away,think they were.

Surely, in most card rooms, your hand would be declared dead if you turned them over before stating your intention.
    On TV, you may occasionally see people turning one or both cards over but this is only in "fun" games.

If its after the river and there was none to act after them ie everyone called around to them then would accept this as a call, and they  looking to see who wins.Accept this as a call.However if there is anyone to act after this guy then this should be assumed a mucking his cards, no matter what he has. My opinion!

Other two situations dont have problem with, wouldnt even see it as bad gamesmanship.

• Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Angle shooting:
    What do you feel is acceptable and what crosses the line? For example,

is it acceptable to gather a mass of chips in your hand out of turn, then smooth call?
    Thats fine, no different to pretending you are weak with bet sizes/checks to enduse a bet from your opponent
    Different card rooms different rules, if your allowed to do it then it can't be discribed as unacceptable, but many card rooms will muck your hand if you do that, so if you are planning that trick make sure you get a ruling before you do!

Same as question 1
    This is wrong and very much frowned upon, alot of people give the benfit of the doubt and iv not personally seen people punished for this (although i know it does happen)
    Posted by BigBluster
  • Options
    AcesSuitedAcesSuited Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2009

If its after the river and there was none to act after them ie everyone called around to them then would accept this as a call, and they  looking to see who wins.Accept this as a call.However if there is anyone to act after this guy then this should be assumed a mucking his cards, no matter what he has. My opinion!

Sorry left out the other option.If after the river just the two guys left in and one raises, what happens if the other guy just turns his cards now not saying call or fold.Then surely seen as a fold???
        However, a lot of problems here if the guy that raised went all in and the other guy immediately turns over the nuts without saying call. Dont think anyone would have even noticed he didnt say call. Can raiser (going out if "call" stands)argue this was a fold? Maybe he can be persuaded he lost and will go but what if guy turned a very high hand or second hand to nuts and the raiser claimed it was a fold and refused to show his hand, demanding the chips?