You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sats for a £220 event - constructive feedback

The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
edited June 2013 in The Sky Poker Tour
Basically tonight the Quarter over ran the semi start time, and £48 is alot of money to people, thus not enough entered, thus rendering the Quarter useless. 

I've just had a long discussion with customer care, I won't complain the poor lad was helpful in a way. Basically my point is the semi hasn't ran and people work, i requested the cash value at first, the same way i would have if i done the register and re-reg thing. He said this wasn't possible and i would get to play next saturday, for which i have plans. I explained my stand point in what i think is the nicest possible manner.

The agent then told me no SPT sats run between now and next week, i assume that is incorrect and i will re-address that tomorrow. 

Anyways this isn't the point. Basically if it doesn't run those that make it should dictate when that play - i agree they should be made to play - but they should pick the night they play. 

£50 is alot of money to the average Joe. Thus weather £50 is credited to their sky account (not in this case) or Sky says, You can play on which of these nights (again not in this case).

Basically i was told you play next Saturday or not at all, I really want to come to the 6 max but this isnt a suitable time. 

Even if the semi was brought back 30-60 mins on a weekend this would accomodate for the extra traffic. 

I hope ive worded this well and not bad.

Thank you. 

Comments

• Options
    Dave488Dave488 Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2013

I played the same game and rang support too, they said that it was a mistake and you were supposed to qualify for next Saturday's game! I did try to explain that these run every night and you qualify to play the same night, but in the end the lady said that they were aware of the problem and I would be either contacted via email or text, to say which Semi Final I will have to play in, presumably next Saturday.

What they should do is give you a token so that you could play which ever night you want as people will have plans they can not change, not sure if sky can do tokens, but it would certainly be the easiest and simplest solution imho.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    edited June 2013
    If it's cancelled you should get the buy-in back. If the thing you're playing for doesn't exist then the quarter is just a stand-alone tournament with a flat pay-out structure.

I have played 4 Qtrs now, and qualified for 2 semis.  The first semi (on the first night it was available), we entered 35mins in, starting at level 3.  The second time, wasn't as bad, but we still got in in late reg.

For London, there were nightly quarters at 9.30pm, and the semi was on the Sunday.  This got some feedback that some people couldn't play Sundays, and they would like more dates.  The positive about this was that the semis got a good number of runners.

I would propose 2 semis per week, say Sunday and Wednesday (or Thurs). 7 semis per week is splitting the field too thin.

Otherwise, please make the semi a bit later so the thing either actually runs or the qualifiers from the Qtr can get in from the start.
  • Options
    BorinLonerBorinLoner Member Posts: 3,863
    edited June 2013
    I agree that you should be receiving the cash value of the seat in this situation. You're not playing a satellite to any old tournament, you're playing for a particular tournament. You shouldn't be dictated to as to whether you are going to be at your computer on a different evening because the event you've qualified for didn't take place.

It's kind of like buying a ticket to see Liverpool, the match being cancelled and then being told you're not getting your money back and you'll have to go to see Everton instead, the next day. What's the problem? They both play football in pretty much the same place, right?

You're not getting what you've paid for when you're put into another tournament, even if Sky view it as an equivalent. It just isn't. It's a different event, never mind how similar it is.

Obviously the quarter-final should be scheduled to finish in time for the start of the semi.

Whenever that is the case, you should buy-in to the event prior to playing the satellite. You never know what might happen and you should allow yourself the opportunity to unregister without forfeiting your buy-in. Obviously, when you're playing a late-reg satellite that might not be practical.
  • Options
    pacman599pacman599 Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2013
    I agree, the structure seems all over the place. 

I am also interested to hear people's views on the shove fest sats with 3 min blinds, surely sky want decent players at te events, not just lucky ones. What difference does I make to anyone to have 10 minute blinds so poker matters rather tan luck.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Sats for a £220 event - constructive feedback:
    Whenever that is the case, you should buy-in to the event prior to playing the satellite. You never know what might happen and you should allow yourself the opportunity to unregister without forfeiting your buy-in. Obviously, when you're playing a late-reg satellite that might not be practical.
    Posted by BorinLoner

I wonder if there is intentional overlap to stop people playing these sats for the cash? Unlikely, but we all like a good conspiracy theory, right :)

I agree, the structure seems all over the place.  I am also interested to hear people's views on the shove fest sats with 3 min blinds, surely sky want decent players at te events, not just lucky ones. What difference does I make to anyone to have 10 minute blinds so poker matters rather tan luck.
    Posted by pacman599
    Maybe the micro sats are too fast, I don't mind that so much when they're cheap. I think the Quarters and Semis have a decent structure though, so any of your lesser ability 'lucky' players should have been weeded about by the end of the semi. Plus I don't mind a few donks making the tournament, at least it gives me a shot of getting there (frenzies FTW!)..!

• Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,730
    edited June 2013
    I agree a token to play which semi suits each individual would be the way forward, and as this question has been raised to customer care they should be able to email the nine winners of the tournament entry by email promptly as a matter of courtesy to save any potential grief and give folk the chance to either re-arrange appointments(in some cases work which would be impossible in my own case)or put off the hoovering, washing up, dogging , etc.etc. I look forward to receiving an answer to this asap.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I agree, the structure seems all over the place.  I am also interested to hear people's views on the shove fest sats with 3 min blinds, surely sky want decent players at te events, not just lucky ones. What difference does I make to anyone to have 10 minute blinds so poker matters rather tan luck.
    Posted by pacman599
    10 minutes are slow and boring 3 minutes are fast and fun :) 

I think thats a preferance thing and something sky will never get right. 
  • Options
    Jeno2Jeno2 Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2013
    was in last nights qf final i would prefer a token to play tonights semi but at the moment ive got nothing even though its not my fault the semi got cancelled hoping support will sort this out
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    was in last nights qf final i would prefer a token to play tonights semi but at the moment ive got nothing even though its not my fault the semi got cancelled hoping support will sort this out
    Posted by Jeno2
    If it helps I've just been on live chat, explained that i won my seat last night and that the semi didn't run. Also explained i would like to play tonight. 

Eventually i got it, just have to be patient and they have put me in. I imagine they'll do the same for others who qualified yesterday who want to play tonight. 
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Sats for a £220 event - constructive feedback : 10 minutes are slow and boring 3 minutes are fast and fun :)  I think thats a preferance thing and something sky will never get right. 
    Posted by The_Don90

As you say Don, it's personal preferance but  personally when I play poker I like skill over luck, when I want fun I go and do a bungee jump or go white water rafting, not play in a shove fest

• Options
    edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Sats for a £220 event - constructive feedback : As you say Don, it's personal preferance but   personally when I play poker I like skill over luck, when I want fun I go and do a bungee jump or go white water rafting, not play in a shove fest
    Posted by pacman599
    There is a skill in a shove fest, although i suspect this is not the place to discuss it. 
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Sats for a £220 event - constructive feedback : There is a skill in a shove fest, although i suspect this is not the place to discuss it. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    I agree to a certain extent but when any bet pot commits you and the only bet is a shove it takes a lot of the skill out of it, IMO

• Options
    DollieDollie Member Posts: 706
    edited June 2013
    Whilst I have not yet played in these qualifiers, I have been following one or 2 QFs & SFs.  Personally I think the structure is great, there is much play and I believe there is value for money.  I accept that the overun is an issue and would suggest that if the QF were to start at 7.00pm, with a late reg of say 30 mins, and the Semi to start at 9.30pm the problem would be sorted.  The QF had over 50 runners (remember it rarely reached 10 for Birmingham with 3 min blinds).  So 10 qualified for the Semi which had 26 runners so 5 qualifiers for Nottingham.  It finished before 11.00pm and so a 9.30pm start would finish perhaps 15/30 mins later.  I say again I believe that is value for money.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I don't think the concern is with regards to the Qtr or Semi structures (aside from the overlap and cancellation issue), there's a small complaint about the micro £2.30 sats. I like them, it's a different game and requires different tactics, and if you're not sure you can beat them then reg directly for the Qtr if you can.
  • Options
    Jeno2Jeno2 Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2013
    Whilst I have not yet played in these qualifiers, I have been following one or 2 QFs & SFs.  Personally I think the structure is great, there is much play and I believe there is value for money.  I accept that the overun is an issue and would suggest that if the QF were to start at 7.00pm, with a late reg of say 30 mins, and the Semi to start at 9.30pm the problem would be sorted.  The QF had over 50 runners (remember it rarely reached 10 for Birmingham with 3 min blinds).  So 10 qualified for the Semi which had 26 runners so 5 qualifiers for Nottingham.  It finished before 11.00pm and so a 9.30pm start would finish perhaps 15/30 mins later.  I say again I believe that is value for money .
    Posted by Dollie
    Agree with dollie nothing wrong with structure either semi needs to start later or qf to start earlier,ive now qualified for two semis and they have been cancelled at this rate ill have enough semi seats in the bank to have a seat at spt :-)
  • Options
    DollieDollie Member Posts: 706
    edited June 2013
    Just 10 Minutes
    I have watched the QF and the start of the Semi tonight.  The QF atarted at 7.15pm and by the time late reg had closed there were 35 runners.  So 7 would go through to the Semi, which started at 9.15pm with 8 runners.  The QF did not finish until 9.25pm, by which time the Semi had reached the end of level 1.  There had been 2 late entrants and one KO during the level, so 9 left. Add the 7 qualifiers from the QF made the total 16 with average stach at 2125, chip leader 4000 plus.  Had the QF started at 7.00pm and the Semi started at 9.30pm (as I suggested earlier in this thread) there would have been a 20 minute gap between the two, instead of a 10 minute overlap, and everybody would have been happy.  Surely it must be worth considering making this slight adjustment and avoid any further player frustrations.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Just 10 Minutes I have watched the QF and the start of the Semi tonight.  The QF atarted at 7.15pm and by the time late reg had closed there were 35 runners.  So 7 would go through to the Semi, which started at 9.15pm with 8 runners.  The QF did not finish until 9.25pm, by which time the Semi had reached the end of level 1.  There had been 2 late entrants and one KO during the level, so 9 left. Add the 7 qualifiers from the QF made the total 16 with average stach at 2125, chip leader 4000 plus.  Had the QF started at 7.00pm and the Semi started at 9.30pm (as I suggested earlier in this thread) there would have been a 20 minute gap between the two, instead of a 10 minute overlap , and everybody would have been happy.  Surely it must be worth considering making this slight adjustment and avoid any further player frustrations.
    Posted by Dollie
    Completely agree, (though personally starting the semi at 9.45 would work better for me leaving Qtr where it is) for me it's important to be able to watch and play hands at level 1 to get a good grounding of the game, also think it is preferable to have a break after getting through from the Qtr.