You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Blocker bets, Pro's and Con's?

Kujowolf1Kujowolf1 Member Posts: 3
edited September 2013 in Team Talk
While on a recent poker table, the discussion arose about "blocker" bets.

Anyone not familiar with the term, a blocker bet is basicaly a small bet to prevent someone that keeps raising who bets AFTER you at the table,

some people have said they think its a good strategy others say its a bad idea.

does anyone have a view on this kind of bet ?

In my expereince of using it, it either steals the pot or lets me see the next card cheaper than just flat check and being used as a calling station. 

So what are your thoughts about blocker bets, do you use it, do you think its a good tactic or wasted chips ?

Comments

• Options
    SlykllistSlykllist Member Posts: 2,888
    edited August 2013
    Pointless in most situations IMO

Can be useful if you have a very thin value hand on the river against a very aggressive player that has shown he will fold in these spots if he bricks otherwise all you're doing is building the pot as a good aggressive player will still raise you behind if you show weakness (which blocker bets do).

Problem with putting in a small bet oop is most of the time it just looks so weak, particularly if you do this a lot (if so it is a massive leak) a good player will spot the pattern, work out what it means and punish you relentlessly.
  • Options
    K8LOUK8LOU Member Posts: 630
    edited September 2013
    I don think a blocker bet has any value at all !!!! if i have barreled flop and turn with air and i assume some1 is using a blocket bet on the river i figure they dont want to put any more of there stack in and i will either put in a big raise or just open jam which often gets through !! There are alot of really aggro regs on sky and i think most will be able to spot a blocker bet from a mile off so i think this is always a minus ev play, maybe against more inexperienced players this wont be punished but the regs will jam it down your throat !!!!!
  • Options
    FCHDFCHD Member Posts: 3,178
    edited September 2013
    Alternatively what looks to be a blocker bet could actually be a bet to induce a shove from the player in position.