You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

I have to call right?

jimb0d1jimb0d1 Member Posts: 660
edited February 2014 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
S_J_B Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.15
jimb0d1 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £17.21
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

BENDOG40 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £9.70
OhDancing1 Fold     
supercrazy Fold     
hushpupy Fold     
S_J_B Fold     
jimb0d1 Call  £0.20 £0.65 £17.01
Flop

• K
  • Q

jimb0d1 Check     
BENDOG40 Bet  £0.49 £1.14 £9.21
jimb0d1 Call  £0.49 £1.63 £16.52
Turn

• Q

jimb0d1 Bet  £1.22 £2.85 £15.30
BENDOG40 Raise  £2.44 £5.29 £6.77
jimb0d1 Call  £1.22 £6.51 £14.08
River

jimb0d1 Check     
BENDOG40 All-in  £6.77 £13.28 £0.00

Comments

• Options
    BorinLonerBorinLoner Member Posts: 3,863
    edited February 2014
    The strongest hand we beat is Q8 but assuming that's not likely given the UTG raise, we're actually only beating AK and worse.

Does the villain min-raise AK or worse on the turn and then shove river for value? I wouldn't think so and it's really unlikely that he's bluffing. That would mean that in calling the river, we're calling for a chop at best, which isn't a great situation.

I'm not entirely keen on betting out on the turn, to be honest. We're basically only looking for value from AK or KJ. We aren't too likely to get action on two streets from those hands with this line and we're certainly going to get action when we're beaten. So I'd prefer check-calling the turn. Checking river when villain does bet the turn and betting on most rivers when the villain checks the turn.
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited February 2014
    Why did you donk bet the turn?

Would have checked the turn, as played fold, looks like he has a FH or AJ
  • Options
    KAM99KAM99 Member Posts: 773
    edited February 2014
    I'm with Borin on this one. Assuming villian can play he hasn't raised from UTG with junk and that board is all over his range. You are beating so few of the hands he could have here. If I had to guess he filled up his fullhouse on the turn with KK or 1010 and no longer worried about the possible straight he is min-r hoping not to lose his customer. At this level a raise at the turn is rarely a bluff or even a move with a marginal hand on a dangerous board like this is, and a min-r is a very often a red flag too. As boring said, the list of hands that have you well and truely beat that he is likely to have are a lot longer than those you beat.

Agree about the donk bet on turn too, not sure what you were thinking there? Just because you hit trips on that board it doesn't mean bet out and advertise it even if you are ahead.

Anyway, think unless this guy has show himself to be a little unaware of the board and potentially other peoples hands you migth have cause, but otherwise I think you have to fold. I say it is a fullhouse with KK or 1010, and don't think he would raise the turn with straight after board pairs.
  • Options
    jimb0d1jimb0d1 Member Posts: 660
    edited February 2014
    I called and he did have the kings. Many players are loose utg and I didnt really have any reads here. Plus, I am just a stubborn calling station   :)

Some players will happily open weak hands but I suppose looking at the range of hands he is likely to play utg however you are right that I should chk-call and reassess as I made it easy to get stacks in when the board was paired.

Thanks.

• Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,811
    edited February 2014
    Never leading the turn, folding out all we beat and bluffs. As played, I fold. Cant think of much we are beating and its never good calling to hope for a chop. 
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: I have to call right?:
    Why did you donk bet the turn? Would have checked the turn, as played fold, looks like he has a FH or AJ
    Posted by LARSON7
    I think this is a bit harsh. On the turn the hero hits a set and is up and down for a straight. You want to build a pot here - running away is too tight.
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited February 2014
    He turned trips.

Wanting to build the pot is fine but why is donking betting than letting him carry on bluffing, semi bluffing draws and value betting weaker hands then c/raising? Personally I think I lean towards c/c the turn cos while our hand looks strong, we can't expect to get a lot of action from many worse hands if we play it very strong
  • Options
    KAM99KAM99 Member Posts: 773
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: I have to call right?:
    In Response to Re: I have to call right? : I think this is a bit harsh. On the turn the hero hits a set and is up and down for a straight. You want to build a pot here - running away is too tight.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Set and trips, not exactly the same thing. As for why not donk betting the turn, what do you expect to happen when you do? He very likely folds anything we beat due to us in part turning our hand over, if not fully. There is also the fact if they call or raise, but to be honest you lose about the same if you C/C or bet and he calls. However you lose more when you donk bet and then call a raise.

At this level this is like a big neon sign when you get raised at turn, and a min-r is a neon sign with a fireworks display over it. Said it early in thread it was 99% certainty for me he had kk or 1010 there.. Personally I think it was a horrible mistake on his part. He calls the turn he doubles up for sure on river.
  • Options
    alex1229alex1229 Member Posts: 680
    edited February 2014
    The donk bet is okey, in that you go info, the reraise says your in trouble, river has got to be a fold, you did your donk bet you got told your behind let it go

unless your playing against me, then call me, cos i want yours monioes