You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

AK heads up

THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
edited December 2021 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
THEROCK573Small blind 6000.006000.00347861.52
xBig blind 12000.0018000.00406138.48
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

THEROCK573Raise 18000.0036000.00329861.52
xAll-in 406138.48442138.480.00
THEROCK573All-in 329861.52772000.000.00
xUnmatched bet 64276.96707723.0464276.96
THEROCK573Show
  • A
  • K

xShow

Flop

• J
  • J

Turn

River

xWinTwo Pairs, Jacks and 10s707723.04 772000.00

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014
    AK is a monster hand obviously especially heads up but can we ever fold it to a stupid sized 3 bet shove like this if we have a serious post flop edge on our opponent, its possible i could have him crushed here with AK but this guy i just lost to is pretty useless to be fair and i can quite safely say i could have just chipped away at him and took a low variance victory. AK to big to fold heads up however big ur edge? thoughts please???
  • Options
    77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited February 2014
    Imo your gonna have the villain crushed way too often to be folding here.
  • Options
    12671267 Member Posts: 936
    edited February 2014
    This is a very intersting spot, i suppose if the sturcutre is very slow, you have plenty of BB and you know you can own him heads up, it makes alot of sense to fold. 
    I think im always calling here tho,  just to end the tourne. He probs has AK himself alot of the time and AQ AJ alot and then racing pretty much the rest of time.  

If hes shoving with a 10 though, i imagine his range is much much wider than i would have put him on, so the call is 100 percent good here, going to have the best hand so so often and have him dominated an awful lot.

Only time i'm ever folding is if i have some decent notes, and know hes only ever overshoving with AA kk QQ , and would be raising all his 1010 AK aq type hands.

Edit.   Just realised he had 1010, not a 10.  OOPS!  
             The call is very notes dependant for me , if you know hes doing this with AQ AJ sometimes then still think the call is good.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2014

Can't call quick enough personally.

What would be more interesting is finding the worst hand we'd call with here.....

Don't even tink I'd fold 10s. Call AQ....

AJ, 99, its a wtfffffffff spot!

Prob still call wth those 2 hand also due to the likelihood he's spac k over-valuing small pairs and Axs.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    77+ and AK, AQ are the hands i would have called off!!! just wondered if there was a slight argument to fold against a player this bad thats all, post flop it was like taking candy from a baby, i had around 140k at one point heads up and just kept chipping away until this happend!!!
  • Options
    yoyoyoyo Member Posts: 642
    edited February 2014
    i think you make a fair point rock, default setting is a snap call here but maybe we should factor our edge in;

quite often tho by the time it's HU it's way past my bedtime & as someone else already said you kinda just want it done & there aren't many better hands to find than AK
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited February 2014
    If you've been quietly chipping up then this guy is obv playing really tight for HU and probably has a pretty tight shoving range here of maybe AT+ and 99+ (excluding KK/AA since he might not just jam those) and we only have 53.27% equity and with that equity I think I'd be folding. Much rather have 55% equity at least against someone I think I have a big edge against when there is still play left. But maybe this guy is tired as well and has just got bored and has decided he's just going to open up his shoving range. Folding then would become a big mistake as we'd easily have the 55% required equity - and you'd start kicking yourself if on your next 3 BTN steals he shoves every time but you don't have callable hands anymore.

Since calling with AK can never be a big mistake but folding can be it almost certainly has to be a call w/o really concrete reads. AQo I might fold. TT I would call.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited February 2014
    Didn't realise just how crucial 1.63% equity was ;)

Can't fold here Rocky. Far too good a spot to go for the win.
  • Options
    Wacko90Wacko90 Member Posts: 906
    edited February 2014
    Yeah HU its a call mate. Like Julian says though, you do have to factor in your edge here, if you are confident that you can beat him with minimal risk then folding this seems obvious. Hes not shoving less than AQ very often this stinks of a pair I think. I probs call but with what you have said a fold isnt that bad here.
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,811
    edited February 2014
    A lot of far better players than me have said call but if we really think we do have an edge then I think we can fold here because of two reasons;

1 If we lose the hand, we lose the HU battle
    2 We still have a lot of play in which to exploit our edge, with shallower stacks we cant get away but here we are fairly deep considering.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    thanks for all ur imput guys, i know ak is too big to fold and its a mistake to fold it, its not that im some sort of nit or anything, if you read gazza127 diary it will show a hand against him were i got 40bbs in pre heads up with A7, i wont go into my reasoning cos its off point but in this spot with the ak i just felt like im going to be playing right into his hands and taking a flip more often than not with the call, you would have to witness how bad he really was i suppose to think a fold could be possible here, he was defending every hand and check folding just about every time, when he did catch a piece of the board he would just overbet donk shove, i mistakenly looked him up early on with 2nd pair to give him a good chip lead but clawed a good bit back and then this happend.

anyway i dont plan on folding ak heads up in the near future, **** i dont even fold it 6 max or even 9 max for that matter, haha, just wondered if it was ever possible with these sort of circumstances!!!
  • Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: AK heads up:
    thanks for all ur imput guys, i know ak is too big to fold and its a mistake to fold it, its not that im some sort of nit or anything, if you read gazza127 diary it will show a hand against him were i got 40bbs in pre heads up with A7, i wont go into my reasoning cos its off point but in this spot with the ak i just felt like im going to be playing right into his hands and taking a flip more often than not with the call, you would have to witness how bad he really was i suppose to think a fold could be possible here, he was defending every hand and check folding just about every time, when he did catch a piece of the board he would just overbet donk shove, i mistakenly looked him up early on with 2nd pair to give him a good chip lead but clawed a good bit back and then this happend. anyway i dont plan on folding ak heads up in the near future, **** i dont even fold it 6 max or even 9 max for that matter, haha, just wondered if it was ever possible with these sort of circumstances!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    I think you can fold AK preflop vs the right opponent... but you need alot or circumstances to align which will rarely happen...

-player to be awful postflop: it seems like they are
    -the structure to be slow enough that you have time to take advantage of your edge
    -your opponent to be shoving fairly tight

If your opponent is as bad as you make out, if might actually have been a big mistake calling with AK...

if you have 60% equity vs their range with AK, but are likely wot win 75% of the time by grinding them down postflop/smallball then its a horrible call :)