You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Table image / Table breaks

VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,031
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Just wondering about the following:

You are playing an MTT and you play tight for the first few levels to create a table image.
The intention is to exploit this image later in the game.

When you are just about to move up the gears the table breaks and you are sat with 5 different players.

Its just about mid stage of the game and you have an above average stack.

Do you have time/chips to create an image again ?

Does it matter as not many take notice of table image?

Thoughts please
Cheers

Comments

• Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2014
    Table image is far, far more important in live play. Online - apart from a handful of regs whose image precedes them - I'd say just stick to your own game and don't try to manufacture anything. As you allude to: most players will not notice many of your habits or tendencies, especially at the lower levels.

And no, you probably no longer have time to build the image anyway, especially when tables can break so quickly. There's just no point.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Table image / Table breaks:
    Table image is far, far more important in live play. Online - apart from a handful of regs whose image precedes them - I'd say just stick to your own game and don't try to manufacture anything. As you allude to: most players will not notice many of your habits or tendencies, especially at the lower levels. And no, you probably no longer have time to build the image anyway, especially when tables can break so quickly. There's just no point.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Cheers Brian
  • Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Table image / Table breaks:
    Just wondering about the following: You are playing an MTT and you play tight for the first few levels to create a table image. The intention is to exploit this image later in the game. When you are just about to move up the gears the table breaks and you are sat with 5 different players. Its just about mid stage of the game and you have an above average stack. Do you have time/chips to create an image again ? Does it matter as not many take notice of table image? Thoughts please Cheers
    Posted by VespaPX
    I'd say ur thinking about it back to front...don't do anything in order to create a table image, just make whichever moves are most profitable. If by making those moves you think people perceive your image in a certain way, you can then factor that into your decisions for finding the most profitable action the next time. It isn't necessarily more profitable to have a tight table image... As long as your are aware of the tables perception of you and keep that in mind when making decisions it shouldn't matter whether ur image is loose or tight. 

• Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Table image / Table breaks : I'd say ur thinking about it back to front...don't do anything in order to create a table image, just make whichever moves are most profitable. If by making those moves you think people perceive your image in a certain way, you can then factor that into your decisions for finding the most profitable action the next time. It isn't necessarily more profitable to have a tight table image... As long as your are aware of the tables perception of you and keep that in mind when making decisions it shouldn't matter whether ur image is loose or tight. 
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Food for thought
    Thanks a lot
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited February 2014
    I think you might be overestimating how much attention people pay over a length of time!

On sky people tend to have notes or at least an idea about how regs play. Playing different to the norm is good as it can get you value in the short term.

Also, I if you get active then people are more likely to remember that you have 3bet twice in the last orbit than remember you didn't 3bet for the previous 5 orbits.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I think you might be overestimating how much attention people pay over a length of time! On sky people tend to have notes or at least an idea about how regs play. Playing different to the norm is good as it can get you value in the short term. Also, I if you get active then people are more likely to remember that you have 3bet twice in the last orbit than remember you didn't 3bet for the previous 5 orbits.
    Posted by MattBates
    Cheers Matt