You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Boxing Day - Make Your Play - TWO

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,321
edited December 2009 in Poker Chat

Here's # 2. Remember the e-addy - skyopen@bskyb.com or simply reply "on thread", & we'll read out the best replies.

£1 £2, 5 handed.

Villain is new to Table, & is in the BB, playing £176.25

Hero is UTG, with £200.

Pre-Flop. Hero, UTG, has Qc-Qs

Hero Raises to £6

All fold round to BB who calls the 4 quid. Obv.

Flop 6d-Jc-3c

BB checks to us, we bet £8. He quickly calls.

Turn (£29-ish in midle) 5s

So it's 6d-Jc-3c-5s

BB checks AGAIN, so we Bet £26. He calls again. Hmm.....

River (about £81 in middle now) 9c

So the Board reads 6d-Jc-3c-5s-9c

BB checks yet again.

Hero.....

Check?

Bet-Fold to a Raise?

Bet & Call any Raise?

Vote NOW please.

And comment on the play, & the Options. Especially Option B......;)

Comments

• Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited December 2009
    Check back. Villain has played the entire hand like he's on a flush draw.  If we bet all we're doing is getting called / reraised by a hand beating us.  We have ONE PAIR, a chance to pick up a nice, healthy pot with no more headache and the opportunity to see the villain's cards for free.

Check in this position all day long for me.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited December 2009
    I'm 100% with Phil on this one.
    There is no point betting here unless we're going to make it a decent sized bet and, in that case, there are very few players who will call us with a hand that we are beating.
    We don't know the player so it is possible that he's check-raising with a flush on the river although that would be poor play in my opinion.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited December 2009
    I think check, we are only going to called, or raised by a better hand
  • Options
    rats107rats107 Member Posts: 230
    edited December 2009
    check, i want to see his hand, i dont think he's beating us but cant be sure as there's no history here. this way we can get paid more in the long run using this info.  
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2009
    Check would seem the obvious choice as he could have well been chasing a flush but personally the fact he didn't come out betting on the river makes me think he hasn't got it. He has checked the river knowing that we could check behind him and therefore no more money would go in the pot. 
    I would be tempted to go for option B, bet but fold to re-raise as we could get some more value out of him. 
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited December 2009
    check, check, check ... Too much danger now with flush draws, at the end of the day we only have 1 pair, he could have any 2 within reason after his call in the BB. If we bet and get reraised surely we are not winning? 100% Check for me.
  • Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited December 2009
    I think i check in this case.
    I do it for two reasons,
    1. he's just sat down so i have no info on the player(unless i've played him before)
    2. there's no need to get to lairy and we can see what they are playing with, if they have the flush then they will come back over the top so why put more at risk.
    Yes we may be losing out on some equity but caution may be the better part of valour in this case.

col
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,926
    edited December 2009
    I make a bet for sure, he's a sitting duck, if he comes back at me, I probably have to lay it down BUT If I make this same play 10 thousand times, I believe Im gonna get called more than raised, which makes the play a successful one in the long run.

Im going against the majority here I'm gonna bet my hand for value. How can he check if hes got there? More often than not we have the winning hand here so I wanna bet it and get value for my hand.

I definately make a small bet - he's not gonna be scared of the flush and will call a small bet, 35 quid with a jack.... he has to call 35 to win £110....I like that bet.

Theres no way hes gonna raise unless hes beating me here. But I read him as weak.

Hes defending his blind (Obviously - stated in the question) So his range his wide.

We've raised every street. - He's on the back foot throughout.

He's played so passively, he doesnt like raising!

Im more scared of a freaky 2PAIR, than I am a flush!

DOHH

• Options
    BooniconBoonicon Member Posts: 130
    edited December 2009
    check. no info on this player, maybe he's flatted with a set or 2 pair in a strange play, or hit the obv straight.  In any case, to me the extra value from a value bet doesnt outweigh the potential risk of it.  also agree with rats07, info gained from taking the safe check and seeing opponents cards is vital to increasing long term profit!
  • Options
    bigflop1bigflop1 Member Posts: 1,034
    edited December 2009
    check, i would put him on the flush draw, but end of the day all we have got is 1 pair, i doonot think we are that strong..

then again he could have somthing like aj/kj.. top pair nice kicker, my only concern about betting out would be even tho i think we are ahead, we would have a hard decision to make if he comes back at us!! he must have somthing to call it to the river.. therefore i check

what was the outcome??/ do we know??
  • Options
    darichdarich Member Posts: 969
    edited December 2009
    only one pair, we don't have any information about villain, so I'm pleased to be given a free river and happy to check
  • Options
    LadyFingrsLadyFingrs Member Posts: 613
    edited December 2009
    Bet £56, fold to a raise.

I think he can call pretty wide, AJ, KJ, QJ (not many combo's, but w/e), JT, but theres no missed draws he can be turning into a bluff so his c/r range is 99% value and he's prob not going to value c/r AJ on the river...