You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

AQ TPTK dry board call or fold?

craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
edited April 2014 in Strategy
although this player is on a lot of tables and will be mostly playing ABC, his play against me is more varied as we play each other alot, so if the table has been folded round to spots where we could be heads up his 3bet does include hands such as 1010 JJ and AQs.

As i'm still holding small to middle pocket pairs OTF his cbet range was sure to include AK JJ and 1010 so that call was easy, the real strength of his hand comes on the turn as now i was sure 9 times out of 10 he is ahead of me, he could still be holding AK and think i may have JJ 1010 or AK myself but i'm was sure it would be AA-QQ most times.

Q should i make the fold on the turn or should i still call it knowing he might have AK or AQ as well as the 2 Q's and 3 A's (vs KK) that put me ahead
risky Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £40.16
XHOTLIPSX Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £8.85
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

mama914 Fold        
Monty71 Fold        
craigcu12 Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £24.37
reg
Raise   £2.40 £3.30 £42.60
risky Fold        
XHOTLIPSX Fold        
craigcu12 Call   £1.80 £5.10 £22.57
Flop

• Q

craigcu12 Check        
reg
Bet   £3.00 £8.10 £39.60
craigcu12 Call   £3.00 £11.10 £19.57
Turn

craigcu12 Check        
reg
Bet   £5.80 £16.90 £33.80
craigcu12 ?

Comments

• shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited April 2014
    Maybe it's just me, but the 3b seems quite chunky compared to your 3x open.  Is this sizing standard with the oppo's usual bet sizing in these spots?

Similarly with the sizing on the flop at only a little over 1/2 pot - is that a standard of is there a suggestion this weights his hands more towards bluffs or made hands?

Given QQ is less likely due to you holding a Q, AA and KK seem to be the only hands you can really fear. A 2x hand seems unlikely unless it's A2s, but you suggest he wouldn't be 3-betting that light?

I can't help but think I'd be calling this and also any blank rivers. Seems like AcKc/AcJc/AcTc could easily barrel twice here, KQ/AQ/maybe QJ could easily bet both streets for value and even hands like JJ/TT may still be betting for protection and value.

That's a lot of combos we are beating by the turn, unless the sizing makes us weight more towards AA/KK.
  • freshfish1freshfish1 Member Posts: 127
    edited April 2014
    Here, if you are considering calling, ask yourself what you plan to do on the river. If you think hes gonna triple the river and you plan on folding, then youre better off cfing tu. fwiw im not keen on just calling the 3bet pre here oop with youre suggested villain range. When you hit a hand its likely to be tptk and vs the range youve assigned the villain youre going to wa/wb when you hit. Folding pre isnt absurd in this spot. Another possibilty if you were going to cc the turn, is cring the flop. You get more info for the same price if hes abc and the initiative in the hand to boot.
  • Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited April 2014
    Depends on the villian as to whether this 3bet size is normal or not, I think a lot of the time we can just fold pre flop. If he's loose and aggressive enough to make calling pre good, then we probably can't fold flop or turn imo
  • craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited April 2014
    the size of his raise preflop did look like a strong hand and earlier on he did it with KcKs but post flophe decided to check with his KcKs on a flop Qc 6c 4s and was out of position on that occasion too.
    what was also happening recently was i had been doing 4xbb or 5xbb because their was lots of fit or fold play happening with the majority on the tables. so i think he might have thought this was a weaker hand.

i did still see him holding JJ 1010 in his range preflop. then when he has only got me  post flop his range does have semi bluffs and overcards on some occasions so i was thinking on the flop i'm either way ahead and he is attempting to get me to fold or i'm way behind and knows AQ is in my range often
  • 77Chris9177Chris91 Member Posts: 375
    edited April 2014
    I assume you called pre becuase you think villain can 3-bet light sometimes?

As played, given the positions, c/c flop, turn and river. Your at the absolute top of your range. If your folding here villain can make your fold 100% of your range with 3 barrels in this spot.
  • CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,804
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: AQ TPTK dry board call or fold?:
    Depends on the villian as to whether this 3bet size is normal or not, I think a lot of the time we can just fold pre flop. If he's loose and aggressive enough to make calling pre good, then we probably can't fold flop or turn imo
    Posted by Lambert180
    This. OOP against a big 3 bet is just going to leave us too many tough decisions even if we flop ok. We can be way behind and lose a big pot or get bluffed off the best hand too many times. 
  • grantorinograntorino Member Posts: 4,710
    edited April 2014
    Why are you flatting pre if you think his range is TT+, AQ+ ?

Calling pre to fold Q hi dry boards seems bad to me